I Want Some of That Convention Pudding!

by snowbird 97 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Actually the breakfast memory is from Atlanta, 68, I think.

Maybe I'm just a picky eater.

Usually I'm not a big fan of institutionally cooked food. It can be done well, but you gotta know what you're doing and have a well trained staff. The best example would be a first class cruise line. They have excellent head chef's and recipes and manage to create meals that taste like it was cooked to order. Comparitively speaking, the volunteer staff at WT convention kitchens were anything but well trained.

I have one experience from working in a full service kitchen at a convention. I remember helping a brother who owned a restaurant prepare those faux mashed potatoes in a big pizza dough mixer. He was following the recipe and commented to the brother in charge that it would taste better if something else was added or done (can't remember the details). The brother in charge, said no, follow the WTS recipe, no deviations, period. I agree that at some point you have to make sure everyone is on the same page and you can't just go around inventing your own recipies, but this guy knew his stuff. The brother in charge didn't. I knew because he was an elder in my area and he was an electrician. Anyhoo Brother Restaurant bitched about it but did as he was told. He told me to make sure to try it afterwards and he told me what would be wrong with it. Sure enough he was right. It was bland and tasteless. But then isn't that the description for pretty much everything produced by the WTS?

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I remember the rush to get the food even before Amen was said.

Those annoying tickets too. Couldn't pay with cash. I think Shasta

went out of business when the food thing went.

It's all part of "Jehovah's loving arrangement."

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Stuff like that should make you question, JWoods.
    What in the world???

It is just like you said after Blondies reference on why they quit food altogether, Sylvia - with the JWs it is ALWAYS all about the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR.

They just didn't want to lose the money it would have taken to replace that food.

The people in charge knew better..Those are the ones accountable..

They would be the ones in a courtroom facing a Judge..

Thanks, Outlaw - and you are right. I was just a 23 year old kid standing on the sidelines, and we were very lucky.

The rotten thing was the we did it to our own people, knowingly, just to avoid losing a little money.

Maybe in retrospect it is not such a bad thing that they quit doing volunteer-based food service.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hey! Just remembered something ...

Isn't that 1973 Houston Astrodome convention the one where some babies got sick from the heat?

Didn't some die, causing some doctors to denounce/renounce the JW's after officials refused to allow an advisory concerning the heat to be read from the platform?

Syl

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think Shasta went out of business when the food thing went.

No, Shasta is still around. I can go out and pick up a case of it if I want.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow Syl, do tell !!!!!!!

• undercover
    undercover

I think Shasta went out of business when the food thing went.

No, Shasta is still around. I can go out and pick up a case of it if I want.

Which proves there is no god...

• wasblind
    wasblind

I want to know more about that astor dome thing

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Hey! Just remembered something ...
    Isn't that 1973 Houston Astrodome convention the one where some babies got sick from the heat?
    Didn't some die, causing some doctors to denounce/renounce the JW's after officials refused to allow an advisory concerning the heat to be read from the platform?

Sylvia - I don't remember anything like that. Remember - the Astodome was a closed dome, (first in the world) & it was air conditioned.

I may be wrong about the year - I kind of think the year was 1972...as a matter of fact, I drove a new 1972 Porsche 911T coupe to that assembly. I also remember that it rained a lot during that week.

• undercover
    undercover

Wait a minute.. The Astrodome is um, a domed stadium. It has air-conditioning...

edit: JWoods beat me to it...again

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit