Demons and the WTS

by brotherdan 200 Replies latest jw experiences

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

The use in the apostles time was to preach to non greek or hebrew speaking people about the gospel. The use of tongues super started their preaching.

so why would that not be useful today?

• donuthole
    donuthole
    DH, can you elaborate on your encounters?

Cheezits. I'm sorry I'm not able to. For one it involves individuals and I need to respect their privacy. Secondly I have noticed a tendency that some look to these stories for the wrong reasons. Some see it as entertainment. (I mean really how many excorcist type movies have bee out in recent years; not to mention all the "paranormal" shoes on cable.) Some see as a way to bolster faith, which is misplaced, believe in the Holy Spirit not evil Spirits. (like in JW land the Holy Spirit is powerless unless it comes to directing people out in service to make that one last call whereas the unclean spirits can do all sorts of crazy stuff.) I'm not saying that is your motive but those are the reasons I will not share details on forums. That being said, generically my experiences are the same as what you can read about in the Bible. The unclean spirits act in the same way and they respond to the same way to the authority of the Word of God (by that I mean Jesus and not the Bible.)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I can respect that DH.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    What is the manifestation of the Holy Spirit? I'd have to point to the fruits of the spirit talked about in Galatians 5:22. The Holy Spirit is talked about here, meaning that these qualities come directly from the Holy Spirit and not from ourselves. Even though we can manifest many of these qualities ourselves, we can know that the Holy Spirit is not present with someone that does NOT demonstrate these things.

So when a Buddhist monk who has no faith in Christ or the ransom exhibits love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, or self-control, do you believe that is HS in operation?

Also, Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would "teach" us. The FDS would not be the ones to teach the bible to us. It would be the teacher or Holy Spirit. So a gowing in love and understanding of Jesus would be a manifestation of the Holy Spirit as well.

So when you said there's sufficient proof of HS in action today that we don't need things like speaking in tongues... you didn't have more than the above in mind? Because there are sooooo many different understandings of the bible out there and plenty of people who claim to have the right understanding.

I'm missing the proof of anything more than 1) people being good people and 2) people reading and interpreting a book the way that makes sense to them and then feeling good about it. Not trying to bash your faith but you said proof and I'm kinda picky when it comes to proof.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I'm watching those right now, Stephen. I'll let you know what I think.

• donuthole
    donuthole

My experience with tongues generally can be placed in three categories --

• There are tongues that are manifested by means of the Holy Spirit
    • There are tongues that are manifested by means of unclean spirits
    • There are tongues that are manifested by a person's flesh
  • SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    BD: I'm watching those right now, Stephen. I'll let you know what I think.

For those of you who accept the idea of demon attacks and exorcisms (or talking in tongues via holy spirit), did any of you watch the video I posted on page two? Any comments? I thought it was pretty enlightening and found no worthy argument to refute it.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Just watched in Cheeze. It was really interesting. I think there is definitely a jumping to conclusions to explain something as "supernatural" when someone cannot explain something. And that was actually a main point of this thread. I've always been able to explain any supposedly "demonic" thing that has happened as not demonic in actuality.

However, I think the video is a bit too narrow. The scientist can also have a lack of open mindedness too. I haven't turned my back on the existance of the supernatural. I think a true open minded person allows for the possibility.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I've always been able to explain any supposedly "demonic" thing that has happened as not demonic in actuality.

Could you not apply the above comment to supposed Holy Spirit manifestations (listed below) as well?

What is the manifestation of the Holy Spirit? I'd have to point to the fruits of the spirit talked about in Galatians 5:22.
    a gowing in love and understanding of Jesus would be a manifestation of the Holy Spirit as well.
  • notverylikely
    notverylikely

My experience with tongues generally can be placed in three categories --

I know women that would swear mine is the tongue of god himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit