Demons and the WTS

by brotherdan 200 Replies latest jw experiences

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I agree, PS... see my comments from earlier pages in this thread:

SBC: While I could be wrong, I'm not aware of any reputable scientists stating that the supernatural world is impossible. Improbable, yes, but not impossible. Even Richard Dawkins writes in such a way as to leave an opening for evidence contrary to his current belief, should it ever be presented. (ie, Why There Almost Certainly Is No God)...
    SBC: ..."Open-mindedness means that we will acknowledge the possibility that new evidence could in the future lead us to change our minds. But it doesn't preclude our drawing reasonable conclusions in the present."

But I also have to ask because I really don't know: based on your last post, were prominent members of the scientific community stating that human flight and manned space exploration were impossibilities or was it the non- scientific community , such as a person today who says evolution is just a stupid theory? Or a combination of both?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The world is full of the improbable. Sometimes the most rational explanation is not the correct one.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    But I also have to ask because I really don't know: based on your last post, were prominent members of the scientific community stating that human flight and manned space exploration were impossibilities or was it the non-scientific community, such as a person today who says evolution is just a stupid theory? Or a combination of both?

I was making an analogy, that's all.

I recall reading that some scientists were saying that manned spaceflight was in practical terms, impossible ( obviously implying that in theory it was) in the 50's, and yet, here we are now.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The world is full of the improbable. Sometimes the most rational explanation is not the correct one.

At some point, I began to focus on what is useful, rather than what is possible, or even what is true.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yes, but my point is that if you ONLY believe in the MOST rational, you are going to be wrong sometimes. So SOMETIMES it is proper to examine the improbably for truth.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

We shouldn't be quick to dismiss things that we have not exprienced or that science has not "confirmed".

Totally agree. That what developing a hypothesis and test criteria and experiments are all about.

I recall reading that some scientists were saying that manned spaceflight was in practical terms, impossible ( obviously implying that in theory it was) in the 50's, and yet, here we are now.

Ah, well, there is where your analogy breaks down. Something may be practically impossibly simply due to limitations of technology, but scientists rarely place limits on what is possible with advances in technology.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

No offense but, you sure do seem to worship your scientists, NVL. It's a little like how someone would defend the WTS...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Ah, well, there is where your analogy breaks down. Something may be practically impossibly simply due to limitations of technology, but scientists rarely place limits on what is possible with advances in technology.

A valid point, on the other hand, I don't recall any scientist every saying that it is impossible for demons to exist, or have they?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Yes, but my point is that if you ONLY believe in the MOST rational, you are going to be wrong sometimes. So SOMETIMES it is proper to examine the improbably for truth.

Of course, but it is important to still use science, evidence and hypothesis and not just pick something. That's how you go from thinking disease is caused by evil spirits to the discovers of micro-organisms by Leeweunhoek. Many considered the idea the tiny invisible creatures to be insane and that bad airs and spirits a much more likely explanation.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

In 1900 it was viewed by many that man flying was impossible, in 1903 the Wright brothers "flew".

In 1929 it was viewed as impossible for man to fly in outerspce, in 1969 man landed on the Moon.

I still can't fly and I keep trying......

So man still cant fly. Airplanes fly we just get on the airplanes.

Yes, but my point is that if you ONLY believe in the MOST rational, you are going to be wrong sometimes

Believing on the most rational does not guarantee certainty of results.

So SOMETIMES it is proper to examine the improbably for truth

really? when? I rather use probabilities. If something is .01% probable i rather go for the 99.9% side. my fear for being wrong is not that big that i wanna cover all aspects.. If I am wrong... well sometimes I wanna be wrong because its a good feeling discovering the truth.

Anyway I anyone here has the power to talk to the dead, please please invite me, there are some things I wanna ask to J Rutherford and Russell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit