Thousands of people have come and gone from this site....is this part of the healing process???

by Witness 007 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

In my short time here, I've noticed that there's a lot of folks who sign on , post a few times and then disappear, never to be heard from again. Maybe we bore them...

V665

PS: Magwitch, the years have certainly been kind to you. You do look good...

• Never_Enough
    Never_Enough

This is probably my first meaningful post on here - I've been lurking for a long time, yes!

From the very beginning I've considered this site to be a great resource to observe what others are going through. I used it to validate my own experiences, discover new aspects to the hipocrisy we called "The Truth" and as a still-active JW carefully plan my fade.

Now this may be due to some lingering bitterness in me, but I would rather cast off my JW/ex-JW identity as soon as possible and never look back. I say this knowing full well that my own awakening wouldn't have been possible without the contributions of people (such as Ray Franz, Barbara Anderson, Randall Watters) who've embraced and shared their history with the organization to help the rest of us wake up to reality.

Perhaps it's because I've spent the first half of my life being defined as a "JW" that I don't wish to spend the other half as a recovering "ex-JW." In the meantime, I'm happy to spend time with the (mostly) caring and intelligent people on this board.

• dgp
    dgp

Some people just want to put all that behind. Some others stay to help others out. I say, it doesn't matter whether we are still posting here or not. What matters is that we make sure no one else is brainwashed.

I met some people here. As someone who was never a witness, maybe I would not have paid attention to them had they knocked on my door. They have to go their own way, but I will keep them in my heart and mind.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WITNESS007,

Yes, this site is very helpful. But for some people, they could not keep dwelling on what the religion had done to them and they had to forget about it and get on with their lives. For them it was the only way they could heal. It is a very individual thing. For some people it is good for them to keep in touch and either be regular or post once in a while but for others it is not. They had to move on.

In a way, it was like looking at 9/11 footage 'til you made yourself sick. Some people who were hurt by the religion and feel they wasted enough time there don't feel that rehashing everything over and over again is going to help them get on with their lives. That is really what it is all about.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Some of us enjoy the discussion of things OTHER than the Borg.

Music, poetry, ideas - Coco has put up some inspiring threads over time. Leolaia 's threads have given me so much to ponder and leads into other areas of interest I would never have thought of.

This is what brings me back here nowadays. I dont get involved in the debates on subjects that were hot for me when I joined. I heard the arguments before, and am just glad others have seen and realised the same kinds of things I did.

Over time your posts get shorter. Leave it to the young 'uns to say it all.

Of course some move on so completely with their lives they no longer feel any need or curiosity about this site.

That is very healthy, like leaving adolescence behind. If I knew people in my home town who were into discussing the things I find here, I doubt I would be here almost every day after work.

HB

• dinah
    dinah

Great topic!

I practically lived here for about 3 years. It felt wonderful to not feel alone!

Gradually, I lost interest in the place. Kinda makes me feel bad because I used to always try to help the newbies who were waking up. Knowing how hard it was gave me empathy.

Then the place degenerated into political bullshit and JW trolls pushing buttons.

I didn't need that. The only time I check in here is when I feel a bit reflective or bored.

Great friends were made here for me. There's no way to name names without leaving out important people.

It does feel like Sylvia and MrsJones are my sisters. Hell, I even have a soft spot for John Doe!

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Yes, there have been many, many thousands. Some have become addicted or habituated but most just read.

This site does very good work.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I've never been a prolific poster but when I started on JWD I was still attending meetings, so I was able to give first hand witness about what I was hearing, readind and thinking during these meetings, but as time has gone by I've felt that I had said about everything I wanted to say and I don't feel for repeating the same things again and again. I still see JWN as a good source of information about what's going on in the WT micro world, telling myself, though, that this organisation is not worth the time I spend inquiring about its pettiness.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Gladiator, Tatiana, Nathan - what a long road we've walked down together!

nicolaou!!!! Yes...it has been a long road. I look back at some of my old posts and realize how far I've come. When I found "Tim's" board first I believe I cried for two days because I had no idea there were others out there who felt as I did. Tim closed his board and I found this one. I went from still being terrified if I saw a weird storm coming, thinking that it was Armageddon and I was surely about to die...to researching, studying, and realizing just what a crock of bull it all is. I thank this site and all the "old" ones for finally helping me get rid of their brainwashing.

• steve2
    steve2

So, to go back to the question I asked earlier, have there literally been thousands of people on JWD in the first place, let alone since moving on? Answers please!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit