Thousands of people have come and gone from this site....is this part of the healing process???

by Witness 007 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• Thetis
    Thetis

Like Tatiana and others, I don't think I will ever be completely over the JW experience but coming here has helped me so much in overcoming fear - the fear of Armageddon, the fear of actually getting a life - not living in limbo - still believing but feeling that I am worthless. Coming here has empowered me as I was always afraid to examine whether the things I had been taught my entire life, were actually true.

It's this unique history we share, that helps so much with the healing process. Having said this, I prefer to read as I am still afraid that someone will recognize my style of writing. Coward that I am......

And, I so wish that I could meet up with others and share that glass of wine......

So, Vampire, even though I am one of those that posted and then disappeared, I am still hovering in the wings... not bored at all. Just getting more brazen in my conduct. lol

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    have there literally been thousands of people on JWD in the first place,

Yes.

Just done a quick calculation, couldn't be bothered to do more than a glance and paper/pencil thing, but looking at the Members list I'd say between 12 and 18 thousand people have signed up.

The internet being what it is, multiply that by ten, twenty, thirty, a hundred or more to account for surfers and lurkers.

All evidence points to more than hundreds of thousands, probably millions, I'd wager many millions, of people visiting JWN/JWD in the past decade. Remember however that many of those would have been doing once-off fact-finding.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Its interesting isn't it, this site and others like it help us in many ways, depending on what you are looking for.

For me, when I joined 6 years ago, I had recently made contact with my still-in family and the encounter had brought all of the old rage back to the surface. I had some seriously unresolved issues which I had buried at the back of my mind and had let them negatively affect my everyday life. Coming here was very cathartic, venting helped me lose the rage and anger so that I could start the journey of moving on from this thing in my past.

Now, I have been out for 20 years and am in a place where I am no longer defined by my being an ex-jw, so I don't have so much of a need to be here. I made some friends along the way but real life has got in the way of remaining part of this community, although I still drop in once in a while to have a read and a chuckle.

• mamalove
    mamalove

I joined not too long ago, but had lurked on many of the sites and finally officially joined. Although I may have tried to join here once in the past, but never activated it for some reason. I think that people get tired of forums for whatever reason and move on. I dumped two forums I was big time into, that had nothing to do with religion, I was super close with some of the people on there.

Alot of people just move on and forget, or get busy and get out of the habit or get new interests to talk about in great detail.

From what I can tell, this site is more filled with some heavy posters who are into research, and have a ton of awesome religious knowledge. I don't thing the mass population is like that....not super interested in the details, and have left for more emotional reasons. But that is just my opnion. Or maybe a little of both.

Wherever the journey is that someone is on, I think most are truly grateful to have resources like this. I am!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It's hard to say how many visit this site but never post do to fear of getting caught. I'm sure there are some JW "police" trying to find out who all the apostates are. I like this site it makes me feel part of a community that we all understand. Plus I get to learn what is "new" before the majority of JW's. I don't feel judged here.

• KW13
    KW13

Interesting Topic. In my opinion i think people reach different levels of healing throughout their lives. The forum might come up at the beginning of the healing process or toward the end (if at all). It's the equivalent to a Study aid, a crutch and a best friend in one. You can survive leaving that cult without it, but it's a lot easier to do it with the forum.

Instead of feeling lonely on your journey, you can share your thoughts (as crazy as they might be) with others and share in fellowship without strings!!

I come here now just out of curiosity, i feel 95% healed and 5% annoyed. That last 5% causes me some grief once in a blue moon but for the most part, i'm on top and a very, very happy person!!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Just look at the members page. There are 42 pages of "A" member names, at 20 per page except 3 on the last page, that's 823 names right there. So "thousands" is certainly a fair statement, probably an understatement. There's a lot of learning, understanding, support (and arguing) going on here.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    i feel 95% healed and 5% annoyed.

The prolific "I hate all 1.2 billion Muslim people" posts do that to me too.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I enjoy reading the experiences of new ones here and lending a hand where possible.

I don't know if I'll ever be over my JWness since my immediate family are all active witnesses. The religion thing is sort of a constant undercurrent in our household.

Funny thing is though, as long as I've posted on here I've only become good friends with a handful of posters. I believe there are a lot of posters like me who stick around awhile but aren't particularly well known or popular. Perhaps it is the need to remain ultra confidential due to active family members? I don't know. I do know I love hearing other peoples perspectives on being a witness.

• sweet
    sweet

or maybe the ones who have left us went back to being a jw again....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit