I was never DF'ed, I wasn't abused, I never lost a loved one to the ban on blood

by OnTheWayOut 75 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Outlaw, thanks for your perspective.

Agonus, thanks. Certainly it is hard, if not impossible, to get on. Thanks for sharing.

AGuest, thanks for commenting on the subject and on Outlaw's perspective.

Candlelight, I was. I was. Hard to stay mad at a myth. Some of what I can't quite voice or type here is my disappointment which was focused at God and the WTS, then just the WTS, and in some ways is self-focused. Sorry, I just can't come up with the words easily.

PSac, if I were guided to "the actual truth," then maybe I could still believe it actually was a divine intervention. Didn't happen, it wasn't divine.

Cant, I agree.

Thanks for another thought, Brother Dan. I won't throw any logs on that fire right now.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

OTWO..

Thanks..Your a good man..

I like you both..

It would be nice to see you both find some common ground..

Even if it`s just a bit of humour..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• tec
    tec

Brotherdan - If it is the dear whomever that you don't like about Shelby, then I refer you to 1 John, 2 John, etc. The author of those letters addressed everyone as dear brothers, dear friends, dear children (and children did not mean five/six year olds). If it is her farewell, then that is who she is - and I don't know why that offends anyone. If it is anything else, then she can answer for herself. But the first two from you - someone who respects the Bible - seems a little off, and perhaps also unkind.

Understand that I am also not attacking you. I admire and respect your humility and your honesty and your love for Christ and God.

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Are you aware of the condescending tone in pretty much all of your posts, AGuest?

I realize that there are some who take what I post that way, dear Brotherdan... but (1) I truly am not condescending at all, and (2) perhaps the problem lies with their "hearing." Or should I say, their "sight" (again, folks think they can believe what they see...). I also realize that written words are VERY often mis-taken... and misunderstood. Which is why I try to respond, for example, line by line, so's folks know what I'm directing my comments to. I apologize if you don't "like" my "tone," but I really don't think I can make it any.... ummmmm... "sweeter." This really IS the best I can do.

I'm not attacking you or anything,

Really... . Ummmmm... okay. And I don't think you're being condescending, either, sure. (I must say that I DO find it curious when people say, "I'm not attacking you or anything"... while they attack you... or your "style". But to each his own, I always say...)

but alot of people don't like to be called, "Dear OTWO".

And a lot of people aren't bothered by it at all. But, since I wish to believe them dear to my Lord... AND because it reminds ME of that... that perhaps they ARE dear to him... I use it. To keep ME on MY toes... dear BrotherDan...

I've read your comments for a while now, and alot of them really seem attacking and VERY condescending.

That is your opinion, dear one... and you are certainly entitled to it. But since I don't take "counsel" from you, you will forgive me, won't you, if I choose not to put too much store in what you think on this? Thank you, truly!

You might want to work on that if you don't want to drive people away...

I might. Doesn't seem to be a problem with everyone, though... and it certainly isn't a problem with me. You must understand, dear one... that I FULLY put off caring with others thought of me when I didn't "see" things their way the moment I understood how the JWs "felt" about me when I no longer agreed with them. They didn't like what I had to say... or how I said it... either. Grated on their last "nerve," I assure you. Ah, well... what's a girl to do? I'm not good at faking... anything.

You must also understand that I am not here to be popular... far from it. To the contrary, I am just a servant. I am me... just as you are you. There are people who come here who say all sorts of things... use all sorts of language... what have you. I don't speak ill of or to anyone. I consider EVERYONE "dear"... even those who deride me. And I greet virtually EVERYONE with a wish for peace... which is what my Lord has directed ME to do. If that "bothers" your ears, dear one, well... well, I don't know WHAT to tell you.

Other than that I've been coming to this "city" for quite some time now and I've weathered quite a bit. Including having the privilege of "explaining" myself to those like you, those whose participation is fairly recent but think they know a little something about me. You are not the first... and I don't think you will be the last who thinks so. Funny thing, though: those who usually start OUT feeling like you do... and so wishing to give me "counsel" such as you wish here... usually end up PM'g or emailing me later, although quite covertly and unknown to the rest of the board. And I don't "out" them. That is not for me to do. I simply share with them what I can. In love... and in peace. And then, for some reason, their "counsel" changes... if indeed any more is offered at all.

If you want people to read your posts with honesty and respect, you need to treat others with respect too.

Really. I'm not so sure you really know what's going on here, dear BD. No worries, though - trust you'll get it soon enough. And, by all means, no need to apologize, then. I will have held nothing against you as I totally get YOU... right now.

You end all your posts with something like "a slave of Christ".

I end that way because it is the truth, dear one. That is what I am. By choice, voluntarily... willingly... the same as Michael, who said to John, "I am just a fellow slave of you and your brothers who have the work of bearing witness to JahEshua."

I sure hope that Jesus did not talk to people the way that you do.

He did, dear one... kindly... and tenderly. With no sarcasm or malice, no guile, deceit or hypocrisy. He addressed those he loved in such a way as a father or much older brother, to a very young child. He did not condescend - he truly loved. And that really is all I'm putting out there. Those who sought after him for spite, hate, and other no good reasons, however, he sometimes had to address frankly, forthrightly, and truthfully. And he has taught me to do the same when it becomes necessary.

They certainly were unable to hear HIS words, though, weren't they... pretty much no matter HOW he stated them. Ah, well, the little children in market place are alive and well.

I mean you no malice, dear BrotherDan... no ill-will, none at all. I am sorry that my words "hurt" YOUR ears, but again, I am who I am. You are more than welcome to read my posts - you are also more than welcome not to. I will not be offended should you choose the latter, not at all.

I bid you peace, truly.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ (which I won't apologize for, not even to you, sorry),

SA

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Interesting thread. Interesting debates going on as well. LOL ! I won't approach that one ! LOL !

But here's my take : I know you pretty well. We've met at the fest in Tahoe this summer and are good friends who talk on the phone often. I am very happy for you that you were never DFed, or abused, never lost a loved one to the ban on blood, or were shunned. That being said - you are still on this journey called life . Your journey post JW experience has just begun the last several years.

The one thing I have learned after exiting the witnesses almost 7 years ago is this - one thing that's predictable in cult mind controlled JW's is that they are unpredictable and subject to change based on the whims of the WT society. Just as the WT society is constantly changing their concepts it causes their members to constantly change their attitudes towards those of us on the outside of the witnesses. In 2006- My older brother ( an elder ) wrote me a nasty letter saying I was no longer welcome in his home until I turned back to Jehovah . Just a year later he was hugging me telling me and my wife he was happy we were there at the hospital to support my older JW mom's operation .

Point I'm making is - expect the unexpected, because it is bound to happen. There is not enough room on this thread for me to write all the unexpected things that have happened to me positive & negative since leaving the JW cult. All I'm saying is constantly keep your eyes open and be alert. Good luck as you go forward ! Remember, my wife and I are here

• startingover
    startingover

Great thread OTWO!

I especially enjoyed Just n from bethel's comments about the jesus pushers. It continues to bother me that they will never ever admit they could be wrong.

• streets76
    streets76

Being raised a JW can be thought of as a certain type of child abuse. It saps you of all your ambition at an early age.That's a terrible burden to put on a child.

I remember thinking early on, "Why bother trying to make anything of myself, when I'm probably gonna end up as bird food anyway?"

I went through the motions of being a child JW, but I knew in my heart (or gut) that Jehovah knew I was just going through the motions, and didn't deserve life after the Big A.

So, other than getting off on the wrong foot, so to speak, I was never really burned by the JWs. That feeling in my gut kept me from ever getting baptised, so I was able to quietly walk away. I've been playing "catch up" in life ever since.

If nothing else, coming up a JW gave me some discipline at an early age. I've mostly been respectful of others, and know how to fake sincerity, which is the hallmark of being a JW (sorry, just had to throw a zinger).

I can't complain. I'm in good health for my age. I've got a good job. I've never been hungry, cold, or without shelter a day in my life. I've made love to some beautiful women along the way. I've seen the Mona Lisa in person (and Elvis Presley).

My biggest regret is that I've displayed some moments of unkindness to others, even on this board. For that I am truly sorry.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I'll skip responding again to the repeaters talking to each other, but thanks to you guys for contributing.

Flipper, good thoughts. Part of what I am saying is that all these bad things avoided, many of us are still adversely affected by WTS. We can be passionate without being screwed over by WTS. The very nature of being a JW means taking dangerous cult-mind control methods for years. I know some of the thread is back-and-forth on that. It's part of the point.

People like you, who have met me, say I am not so serious as I am on JWN. This forum is part of my group therapy. It's part of my support group. I am not walking around challenging Christians or other believers to prove their beliefs. I relax in person. But I come back here and get "focused" on the reasons I come here. I think I fully explained how I went from non-religious to becoming a JW along the way and I hope that made it clear that I was serious about warning people not to be misled by religion or by their own beliefs of what happened.

Those that get upset by what I or others say, take your own advice- don't post there or ignore the posts of those who post on your threads. I appreciate sincere believers even if I don't agree with them.

Starting Over, thanks. I liked the comments too.

streets76, so true. I have refered to the sarcastic remark used by people that indicate there's nothing others can do when they take a certain action or say a certain thing: "What are they going to do? Take away my birthday?"

WTS did, in fact, take away our birthdays and other festive parts of growing up. Anyone raised in this mess doesn't need an "excuse" like the thread title suggests to be adversely affected.

Growing up imagining you will never cut it and wind up as "bird food" is terrible for one's forward progress in life. Most of us get it when we see a JW child grow up to be sexually loose or addicted to some substance or drop out of school and drop out of life. Even the ones who look and act like they blend in with society and hold a decent job and/or have the spouse and two kids and dog in the yard- they have the same skeletons in the closet as the one who didn't manage to get all that.

Thanks all. I focused on me. That's because I wanted to just stir thoughts on an odd thread. The only one I can speak for is me. I got some great responses that indicated many have similar thoughts on the same subject, or completely different thoughts that still come in appropriately on this subject of not having to be "burned" by tragedy to be "burned" in some way. Thanks for putting up with the irony and contradictions. I think ex-JW's are loaded with irony and contradictions. Strength to all.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSac, if I were guided to "the actual truth," then maybe I could still believe it actually was a divine intervention. Didn't happen, it wasn't divine.

I see what you mean, but I have also learned that, at times, our awakening to God can attract many undesirable elements into our lives, things that are attracted to strong spirit "energy", take it for what it is worth.

Perhaps it wasn't "divine" or perhaps it was, one thing is for sure, The WT did enough that, if it was divine, YOU no longer see it as such.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Keep it on topic please

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit