Avoiding the Meeting

by brotherdan 70 Replies latest jw friends

• watersprout
    watersprout

I have to agree with Shelby on this.

How such one can have greater love for wife, father, mother, son, daughter... ANYONE... than for the Christ?

I left and saw the BS before Carrot did. I stood up for what i believed in CHRIST.....The rows we had were awful.....I am very fiery by nature so the slightest remark by Carrot had me seeing red! Carrot was taken to Christ but he panicked when he realised that he could lose his family so went into ''Watchtower'' mode. He was never a super uber witness quite a slack one, had to be dragged to the meetings, out on field ministry, never answered up, wasn't allowed any privilages..... So i was shocked when he found out the BS, he rejected it! He feared losing his family.........

I was a bit naughty so on meeting nights i used to start dinner later, entice him with cups of tea and put his favourite tv programmes on. Hide his phone and watch so he couldn't tell the time. It worked! Hahaha!

But he not only rejected the watchtower he rejected God and Christ.... He became agnostic.... I wasn't allowed to talk about God or Christ or anything at all... Now though he does have a belief and he is finding his feet in what he believes... He takes the bread and wine and has started to talk to Christ.....

He has told his mom that he will NOT accept the shunning if he is d'fed and they WILL continue to have a relationship with him and baby sprout....His parents already shun Carrots sister and they make her life misereable...... Carrot said they are not doing it to him.....

For the first time in his life he has grown some ''balls'' and he stands up for himself instead of allowing jdubs to trample all over him.....

The best thing of all is that we don't argue anymore..... Which we did all the time while in the watchtower...... Our marriage is stronger and happier....

BD i know its really hard but my thoughts are with you.... Its awful having your spouse still in the watchtower.... I hope that you can get her out....

Peace and light

• garyneal
    garyneal

Here's my two cents for what it is worth.

I cannot pretend to know what it is like being a witness, married to a witness, and later 'apostatizing' from the faith and facing your dilemna. When my wife and I married, we were both believers in God and Christ but had two different views of the Christian religion. Mine tend to follow mostly Protestant theology and hers was Watchtower theology. For the first five years of our marraige, we were attending each other's worship services and I was studying with the witnesses and with her. I came to view them as a valid sect with a few of their beliefs somewhat off. In other words, I accepted them as part of the body of Christ but felt like this was not for me. The part I did not like was that they did not view my faith in like manner.

That all changed last year when my wife decided fully to follow her religious beliefs to the exclusion of mine. I began to wonder if indeed they were right to reject mine and found myself very lost and began searching for answers. I fully expected to be looking for two years at least before I could have some answers. It took me a little over 2 months before I realized that something was very VERY wrong with her religion and I could not help but to kick myself for not seeing this before. I thought I had found truth in the Bible and even came on this board full of zeal as having learned the truth about the TRUTH and discovering real truth that at the time I believed was undeniable.

I took a stand and told my wife that I could no longer, in good conscious, support the Jehovah's Witness belief system as a valid sect of Christianity any longer. I knew I was taking a risk. Every time she and I had an encounter concerning faith and doctrine, I wondered if I would lose my wife and daughter. One night, she almost walked out on me, taking my daughter with her. It took a lot of begging and pleading to get her to stay. I expressed my concerns with her many times regarding how I felt that it was unfair that she would decide to leave me over religion when I was willing to stay with her even during our worse years prior to the birth of our daughter.

She use to try emotional blackmail on me, telling me that she would have more time for me if only I were willing to engage in more 'spiritual' activities with her. I threw it back in her face that she married me knowing who I was and that she had no right to push her religion on me like that. I even pointed out that while in their eyes I am part of the world empire of false religion and therefore partaking of the table of demons, that according to evangelical Christians, SHE is part of a false religious cult and SHE is partaking of the table of demons. Needless to say, she and I have grown more tolerant of each other's religious preferences over the past few months. She still hasn't set foot in church with me any since she became a unbaptized (later baptized) publisher while I still go with her on occasion to the Kingdom Hall. My daughter is starting to notice this one sidedness as well and is beginning to question mommy on this (putting her in a difficult position).

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I have not read all the posts so I could be repeating....

Could get a job or take a class at a local college that is on the meeting night? She may not like it but you could say you are taking the class for work etc....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You can "I think I might be coming down with the Spanish flu" every time there is a boasting session. Then, once you get out of it, it turns out to be another false alarm. I doubt they want to take the chances of starting everyone in the congregation getting Spanish flu just to have you there for that one boasting session.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I use a scriptural reason.

Proverbs 22:3

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I also understand someone staying in to try and help their spouse or child get out also - who is just as brainwashed as they once were - perhaps even BECAUSE they once were - and guilt is a strong motivator.

Now THAT I totally understand, dear tec (peace to you!). My problem is the "christian" trying to "avoid suffering." I don't understand that, given that our Lord is recorded to have said our enemies will be members of our own household. Some of these same folks will have absolutely NO hesitation at losing such loved ones for the sake of going INTO the WTBTS, however. For example, dear GaryNeal's experience. His wife is WILLING to lose HIM... for HER belief. Why? Because that is one of the FIRST things they teach a new Study ("Your worldly family is going to reject you"). Which is a LIE for the most part; it is THEY who perpetuate that kind of unloving conduct, they who do the rejecting.

But if staying is done out of love, then that's a lot different than if it's done out of cowardice.

Staying out of love, yes. For example, one has an elderly mother who may not even be able to fathom anything different than what they teach at this point, and relies on others, including her non-believing child, to get HER to meetings. Absolutely such one should help his mother, honoring her in that way. However, staying because one doesn't want to undergo the "suffering" one might have to for speaking the TRUTH is, IMHO, another thing entirely. It's in line with our Lord's words, "All things they SAY... do. But do not DO as they do." Meaning, dear brotherdan (peace to you!) should not inflict "suffering" upon his wife because SHE wants to still associate with them. He should "win" her... WITHOUT making her feel bad... WITHOUT forcing her to look at her beliefs... WITHOUT A WORD... but by HIS conduct. Which includes tolerance of what SHE believes.

I think that can only be a matter between the person and Christ.

You are right, of course. In the end, everything is. I think my point is, very often people chide me for hearing, etc., and ask silly questions like "What makes YOU 'better'?" Yet, their comments and conduct indicate that, really, their hearts are actually divided when it comes to the Christ. There ARE those they love more... and it is NOT always the spouse, parent, or child. Sometimes... it is themselves. They WILL give "all"... on behalf of their own skin... because they don't want to SUFFER. For ANY reason, let alone the sake of the Christ. But that's because they miss the POINT of faith, which is sublimely summed up by the writer of the letter to the Hebrews as to Moses and our Lord himself:

As to Moses... "he esteemed the REPROACH of the Christ as riches greater than the treasures of Egypt; for he looked intently toward the payment of the reward. By faith... he left Egypt, but NOT FEARING THE ANGER OF THE KING... for he continued STEADFAST as seeing the One who is INVISIBLE."

As to Christ... "Although he was a SON... he learned obedience FROM THE THINGS HE SUFFERED."

I am not speaking to those who don't believe - this has absolutely nothing to do with them. I am speaking to those who claim to believe. How can we escape LATER, when "she" is "burned with fire,"... when "sudden destruction" IS upon mankind... if we cannot do so NOW... when the opportunity is before us and our literal lives are not even at stake? The call is to GET OUT OF HER. What if your spouse, parent, child, other loved one... doesn't WANT to? What if YOUR staying... is what gives THEM the RESOLVE to stay?

I understand love of spouse, child, parent, others. I truly do. I am NOT saying it's easy, not at all. But I truly don't understand the divided loyalty. I mean, one can even still GO... for the sake of that spouse, child, parent, loved one. But I guess I just don't get the lies. I don't get how lying to them about such a thing is truly showing love. To me, it is showing that your spouse truly does not know you... that you don't really want them to... but only what you reveal to him/her... which revelation is a lie. Where is the love in that? Someone might say, "Well, I want to spare them." But is that the truth? Or is it that you want to spare yourself? Why not say, "Look, my love, I love you. I truly do. And I would do anything for you... except put my faith in her. If you want me to go, I'll go. For you. But I don't believe it, I won't believe it, and I won't participate - I can't, because I don't believe it, and I would be doing YOU a GREAT disservice... you, who I am one with... by being something I'm not and convincing you I am something I'm not and believe something I don't. BUT... I won't lie to you about this... even if you want me to. I love YOU... too much. But if my going is what will make you happy, certainly, I will do it. Just don't ask me to "eat" it. I won't, I can't."

What is WRONG with that? I know, I know... "he might leave me." Yes, he might. And isn't that HIS choice... to not be married to someone who doesn't believe what he does? If he's a TRUE "christian" (and I'm not even going as far as an anointing here, but simply someone who claims to follow Christ), isn't he SUPPOSED to endure such a situation... and try to "win" you back "WITHOUT a word?" Even the Bible sets forth the protocol for staying with an unbelieving mate. It does NOT grant a right to separation or divorce under such circumstances. THAT... is THEIR "tradition." Heck, going by "Paul's" list... there isn't even grounds to DF someone who no longer believes. The list at 1 Corinthians 5 doesn't even go there.

But are we to just GIVE them such power over us? Just hand it to them? How, then, are we truly christians... TRULY members of the Body of Christ? I'm sorry... but I just don't get it.

However, I DO wish you all... and particularly dear brotherdan... peace. In your daily lives... and your walk with Christ.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• flipper
    flipper

BROTHER DAN- If you and your wife are close still and get along well and don't want to alarm her JW apostaradar towards you- I would definitely play the " I have stress, depression, & anxiety " card. Tell her you haven't been feeling well and you might even need to get some emotional therapy with a professional counselor. Tell her it's personal and you are glad she loves you and cares - but you may need deeper help professionally. What will she and the elders do- sue you ? It's YOUR life , YOUR freedom of mind- not your wife's. To go to meetings just to appease her will cause you to go against your inner emotions and cause more damage inside your head than if you DIDN'T go. In my humble opinion.

It's your choice. But if you go to meetings just for her- you are sacrificing something within you that my damage you more in the longrun. Hang in there. I know it's not easy

• mamalove
    mamalove

Let's see, what did I do to avoid meetings? I would plan busines trips so I could fly out Tuesday night. Aww shucks, have to go to the airport. I would use the kids as excuses, and yes one time when my ex and I were in counseling and trying to make it work I really turned on the charm and initiated some really insane sex session, who can say no to that?

I think you are going to have to slowly trickle this one to her. Let's face it, WHO ACTUALLY ENJOYS the meetings? No one that I know, WHY? Because you cannot tell me a single person is not overjoyed when a meeting gets cancelled because of snow or no power, or an assembly, so there is no meeting. Why is that?

• nelly136
    nelly136

i wouldnt suggest anyone necking strong salty water, not even to avoid meetings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

Well you just say the following:"I don't want to go to the meeting ever again.Period"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit