Avoiding the Meeting

by brotherdan 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

Use the old sick trick, worked every time I used it to skip school(long time ago).

In the hours before the meeting make mention from time to time that you don't feel good - add though that you will be fine for the meeting, the ill feeling will pass(makes you look good).

When the time comes, start to get ready for the meeting, get yourself something small to eat(bread or whatever you guys eat as a snack), get into the bathroom, chew it up, make some horrible noise, spit it into the bowel, call for water - wife can see your ill - job done. Wait untill the fam leave and crack open a beer, put the football on TV.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I can't believe that they still say that it is wrong. I've yet to find a bible verse that supports this. The funny thing is is that most of those elders probably enjoy the occasional piece of hair pie.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

brotherdan, I had postpartum depression too, and the meetings actually made it worse! (surprise, surprise).

You could ask your wife if she needs you to pick up anything on the way home from work...then take your time picking up stuff on Thurs. Get home a bit late, and then get to the meeting late. Perhaps she'll hate being late and start skipping meetings the next time you're going to be late.

Point out how inconvenient it is to drag your kids there...it messes with their naps, bedtime, etc. It's not fair to expect them to sit still and be quiet.

Tell your wife how you're sad you don't get to spend much time with your kids. The meetings take lots of time away from parents spending quality time with their children. You work all day and only have a few hours to see them at night and on the weekends...you want to make the most of it.

Try telling her you need to work a bit late, but say you'll be home as soon as you can, and be just late enough to not have time to go.

Good luck! It takes time to break those habits. It took a few years for me to make inroads. I didn't realize what I was doing at the time, I just didn't like being at the meetings with all those phoney people.

• watersprout
    watersprout
    If I didn't drag you to the meetings, you just wouldn't go! You are supposed to be our spiritual head!"

OH MY GOODNESS! I have used those exact words on my hubby when we first got married!

Peace and light

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Brother Dan ...

How about telling her you need a couple of weeks off from the meetings? That you are feeling discouraged and the meetings (at this time) just make you more down. If it works, you have bought yourself a couple of weeks - enough time to come up with a new plan. I would just take a week or two at a time since your goal is to keep peace and keep the family intact. You may also offer to watch the baby at home so that she can get more out of the meetings.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Women can always claim "cramps".

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

NiceDream...Great advice. The problem is that I get off at 5:30 and the meeting starts at 7. So it's hard to keep busy without looking fishy. I'll try it though. Who knows...

Last night while I was getting her nice and toasted she noticed that I kept looking at the clock. She asked me what I was waiting for. So I said, "Just seeing how long it is to the meeting." She said "Ah...I don't really want to go either." So hey...a step in the right direction, huh?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Social anxiety?

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

"Getting her nice and toasted" sounds like a fun excuse to stay home! I tried knocking boots (is that a term?) and then my husband would quickly rush off to the meeting afterwards.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Good attempt, nicedream! That's probably the funnest way to get out of going to the meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit