Pastor to burn Koran

by beksbks 265 Replies latest social current

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I believe the Qurans are being burnt because we, as Muslims, haven't dealt sincerely and intellectually with very serious issues that certain Quranic passages raise, particularly in the West. These include verses—when literally read—that say that disobedient wives can be beaten “lightly,” that Muslims can't be friends with the Jews and the Christians, and that it's OK to kill converts from Islam.

We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran—symbolically, at least, by rejecting literal adherence to certain problematic verses.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-09-08/get-over-the-quran-burning/

More please.

BTS

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

I'm assuming you are trying to link Terry Jones with the Westboro protests at US soldier burials. Where is your proof?

You assume wrong, heavy on the ASS part.

Reading before linking is your friend

Oh, my. I didn't realize you were that dense.

From the horse's own mouth: This is Google's cache of http://www.doveworld.org/blog/in-support-of-westboro-baptist. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Sep 5, 2010 05:15:03 GMT. Excerpt:

In Support of Westboro Baptist
    By Fran Ingram - Posted on 21 April 2010

On Sunday April 18, Westboro Baptist Church came to Gainesville. One of their stops was a liberal "Open doors, open hearts, open minds," church near us, so we took part of our Sunday Service time and went as a church to stand with them.

We have also learned that when you speak out about what God hates, you will be hated. We do not agree with all of Westboro's methods, but we admire their determination to find radical ways to preach the truth of the Bible, as we do. Most churches and Pastors in America try to stand on neutral ground. They are lost, weak and sick and need to repent.

Excerpt from April 21, 2010: Vicious Kansas Gay-Bashers Finally Find a Friend

Westboro Baptist Church, a Kansas-based group notorious for turning tragedies into gay-bashing opportunities, is pretty much universally reviled. Even an Arizona-based Ku Klux Klan group forcefully (if ungrammatically) rejected the group in a “disclaimer” published on its website. “The Ku Klux Klan, LLC, has not or EVER will have ANY connection with The ‘Westboro Baptist Church,’” it said. “We absolutely repudiate their activities.”

Not the Dove World Outreach Center, a Gainesville, Fla., church that has used similar tactics to attack both gays and Muslims. “We support Westboro who [sic] came to Gainesville because of its ‘Gay’ reputation,” the church states on its website.
    In fact, Dove became virtually the only group in the history of Westboro’s anti-gay and anti-Jewish campaigning to join forces with the Topeka, Kan., church. Dove enthusiastically took part in Westboro’s Sunday protest against Gainesville’s tolerance of homosexuality. About 30 members of Dove World Outreach Center joined fewer than 10 Westboro representatives outside Trinity United Methodist Church in Gainesville, according to the Gainesville Sun. Many of the Dove protesters wore their signature “Islam is of the Devil” T-shirts — a message they’ve also promoted on signs outside the church.

Excerpt from the Florida Alligator, April 26, 2010:

But Wayne Sapp, a pastor with the Dove World Outreach Center stood with members of his congregation alongside the Westboro Baptist Church members at Trinity United Methodist Church.

Sapp's group and Westboro Baptist members sang songs such as “This Land is Going Straight to Hell” and “I’m Ashamed to Be an American,” to the tune of “This Land is Your Land” and “I’m Proud to Be an American” respectively.

According to Sapp, the Westboro Baptist Church teaches the whole Bible.

“Churches like to talk about love and acceptance, but they forget to talk about rebuke and correction,” Sapp said. “The world has rejected God. Now God is rejecting the world.”

BUT WAIT, EVEN BETTER! Here's Dove's Facebook photo album, Marching with the Westboro Baptist Church. How's that for proof?

Dark Side, it's humorous that you go around the board feebly asking Link? Link? Link? and then when graciously provided links, cherry-pick to change the subject. This is the mark of a total pu$$y.

You must have made a fine JW: Absolutely no reading comprehension, too damn lazy to do your own research, and combative when the facts challenge your closely-held beliefs.

~Sue

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran—symbolically, at least, by rejecting literal adherence to certain problematic verses.

Many have already done just that, and I agree, more need to.

DS...I think there have been Questions From Readers regarding the oath legal professionals take and whether a JW can swear to anything involving the Constitution. Just about everyone knows about that oath!

It varies from state to state, but at some point, usually when they want you to start paying dues, the Bar Association will require a student, prospective bar passee, Law Clerk, etc. to take the oath.

Here is WA's oath to "support" the Constitution. Now. I will simply quit responding to your posts DS.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/?fa=court_rules.display&group=ga&set=APR&ruleid=gaapr05

(e) Contents of Oath. The oath which all applicants shall take is as follows:

OATH OF ATTORNEY

State of Washington, County of _______________ ss.
    I, _______________, do solemnly declare:

1. I am fully subject to the laws of the State of Washington and the laws
    of the United States and will abide by the same.

2. I will support the Constitution of the State of Washington and the
    Constitution of the United States.

3. I will abide by the Rules of Professional Conduct approved by the
    Supreme Court of the State of Washington.

4. I will maintain the respect due to the courts of justice and judicial officers.

5. I will not counsel or maintain any suit or proceeding which shall appear
    to me to be unjust, or any defense except as I believe to be honestly
    debatable under the law, unless it is in defense of a person charged with a
    public offense. I will employ, for the purpose of maintaining the causes
    confided to me, only those means consistent with truth and honor. I will
    never seek to mislead the judge or jury by any artifice or false statement.

6. I will maintain the confidence and preserve inviolate the secrets of my
    client and will accept no compensation in connection with the business of
    my client, unless this compensation is from or with the knowledge and
    approval of the client or with the approval of the court.

7. I will abstain from all offensive personalities and advance no fact
    prejudicial to the honor or reputation of a party or witness unless
    required by the justice of the cause with which I am charged.

8. I will never reject, from any consideration personal to myself, the
    cause of the defenseless or oppressed, or delay unjustly the cause of any person.

• Smoky
    Smoky

Burn it all: Quran, Bible, Book of Mormon, Torah...etc.

Who gives a damn, its just a freakin book. Means nothing.

Burning a Muslim at a stake.....Now we are talking.

Smoky

Smok'em if you Got'em

• beksbks
    beksbks

I don't have time to read through all this at the moment, but here is another interesting tidbit about this loon.

09/08/2010

Islamophobe's Past in Germany

Terry Jones Accused of 'Spiritual Abuse' at Cologne Church

By Yassin Musharbash and Dominik Peters

GERMAN JEWS CONDEMN PLANS TO BURN KORAN Germany's leading Jewish group, the Central Council of Jews, has condemned Terry Jones' plans to burn the Koran. In a statement issued Wednesday, the organization's president, Charlotte Knobloch, said the idea was "terrible and repulsive" and that it reminded her of the Nazis' infamous book-burning in 1933. "Where they burn books, they will end up burning people," she said, quoting the 19th-century German author Heinrich Heine. US fundamentalist pastor Terry Jones, who wants to burn copies of the Koran on Sept. 11, ran a church in the western German city of Cologne until last year when members of the congregation expelled him. Former members have spoken of his hate-filled sermons and insistence on "blind obedience."

The world is holding its breath -- and it's all down to a tiny Christian fundamentalist church in Florida.

Next Saturday, on the anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Rev. Terry Jones and his colleagues plan to burn hundreds of copies of the Koran on the church's property in Gainesville, Florida.

The White House has condemned the plan, and Muslim organizations around the world have warned of the consequences should the Koran-burning go ahead. But the church is sticking to its plans.

Naturally the radical Islamophobes know very well that their deliberate provocation could trigger potentially violent protests and riots. But they have washed their hands of any responsibility. "Let's just make one thing clear," the wannabe Koran-burners write on their blog. "A small church, in a small town, down a back road, burning copies of its own books, on its own property, is not responsible for the violent actions anyone may take in retaliation to our protest."

Terry Jones, the man behind the action, is the pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center, a church that manages to attract a Sunday congregation of just 50 people, members of the radical fringe of the evangelical movement. Jones, a 58-year-old former hotel manager with a distinctive mustache, is also the author of a polemic book titled "Islam Is of the Devil."

'Climate of Fear and Control'

In the United States, Jones has already attracted attention on several occasions as an Islamophobic provocateur. What is less well known is that the pastor led a charismatic evangelical church, the Christian Community of Cologne, in the western German city up until 2009. Last year, however, the members of the congregation kicked founder Jones out, because of his radicalism. One of the church's current leaders, Stephan Baar, also told the German news agency DPA that there had been suspicions of financial irregularities in the church surrounding Jones.

A "climate of fear and control" had previously prevailed in the congregation, says one former member of the church who does not want to be named. Instead of free expression, "blind obedience" was demanded, he says.

Various witnesses gave SPIEGEL ONLINE consistent accounts of the Jones' behavior. The pastor and his wife apparently regarded themselves as having been appointed by God, meaning opposition was a crime against the Lord. Terry and Sylvia Jones allegedly used these methods to ask for money in an increasingly insistent manner, as well as making members of the congregation carry out work.

Andrew Schäfer, a Protestant Church official responsible for monitoring sects in the region where Cologne is located, confirmed the accounts. "Terry Jones is a fundamentalist," he told SPIEGEL ONLINE.

Both major churches in Germany have "sect commissioners" who monitor the activities of religious groups, sects and cults. Although they are obviously not totally impartial, the officials' findings are usually considered to be trustworthy.

'Delusional Personality'

Former church members are still undergoing therapy as a result of "spiritual abuse," Schäfer said. According to Schäfer, Jones urged church members to beat their children with a rod and also taught "a distinctive demonology" and conducted brainwashing.

"Terry Jones appears to have a delusional personality," speculates Schäfer. When he came to Germany in the 1980s, Jones apparently considered Cologne "a city of Hell that was founded by Nero's mother," while he thought Germany was "a key country for the supposed Christian revival of Europe," Schäfer says.

Terry Jones used his powers of persuasion to expand the congregation. By the end, Schäfer estimates, it numbered between 800 and 1,000 people. They had to work in the so-called "Lisa Jones Houses," charitable institutions named after his first wife who has since died, under very poor conditions.

Increasingly Radical

Jones became increasingly radical as the years went by, former associates say. At one point he wanted to help a homosexual member to "pray away his sins." Later he began to increasingly target Islam in his sermons. A congregation member reported that some members were afraid to attend services because they expected to be attacked by Muslims. "Terry Jones has a talent for finding topical social issues and seizing on them for his own cause," says Schäfer.

By the end of 2007, the community had had enough. Members confronted him and tried to change the direction of the church. But Terry Jones refused to make changes, they say. In the end, Jones, his wife and their fellow preachers were expelled from the church and he moved back to the US. "The community imploded," says Schäfer. It only has some 80 active members today.

Now the whole world is condemning Jones for his planned burning of copies of the Koran. Schäfer, for his part, sees Jones as a fanatic who is courting global media attention because he couldn't cope with the "immense loss of power and significance."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,716409,00.html

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

This problem is being fuelled by the media

this mornings television here in Oz is talking about it

the internet is full of it

if they just left it alone, hardly anybody would know about it, let alone do anything in retaliation...

my 2 cents worth...

oz

edit: Isn't this the classic history of christianity and Islam? tit for tat, try and control the world, who did what first, hit back? Like a pair of three year old syblings fighting over a lego block

It's just plain STUPID and DANGEROUS. I wish both religions would collapse...

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

One of my favorite images.....

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

The guys out for publicity, heard today his church has only had 30 regular attenders. Wonder how many he's going to get now?

• beksbks
    beksbks

If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution. -- George Washington, letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789

• freydo
    freydo

"I really don't understand the denial and the hypocrisy that is directed toward this President. Why can't Americans just admit the truth and say it: America has succumbed to Islam............

(The Americans ceased calling themselves "Christians" on January 6, 2009.)

"And the Demon opened his mouth to blaspheme against God, to blaspheme against His Name and His Abode, and against those who dwell in Heaven. And he was given authority over all generations and nations and tongues and peoples, and he was given authority to do battle with the saints and to defeat them. And they worshipped him, all of them who dwelled on earth, those whose name is not written in the book of Life, the Book of Life of the Lamb who was sacrificed from the foundations of the universe.

(42 months after the Americans betrayed Jesus will be June 6, 2012.)"

http://www.v-a.com/

June 6th 1967 btw - was when Jews retook control of Jerusalem - what the west doesn't seem to grasp is that islam has been at war with the west for 1300 years and now it's getting serious. As was stated on another forum - "we can either persevere, or roll over as nearly the whole known world did, until the First Islamic Jihad arrived in Tour France and was defeated by Charles "Martel" (the hammer) and again in Vienna Austria." - Brotherpete.com

They are obviously well funded and well organized and totally committed to one goal. Destruction of Western Civilization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit