Pastor to burn Koran

by beksbks 265 Replies latest social current

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If the local fire codes are adhered to, this sounds like a perfectly legal activity, protected by the 1st Amendment. I will not, however, comment on the WISDOM of it.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    The irony is this guy would crap his pants if he heard about muslims burning bibles.

I disagree.

If that's all they did, was burn bibles I don't think anyone would care. I wish they had burned a few bibles instead of killing our people.

Burn

My position here is the same as the Ground Zero Mosque:

If they stopped efforts to build Ground Zero Mosque, I wonder if this guy would stop the Koran burning.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

If they stopped efforts to build Ground Zero Mosque, I wonder if this guy would stop the Koran burning.

One of those things is not like the other things.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    One of those things is not like the other things.

Neither is killing our people like burning bibles.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Neither is killing our people like burning bibles

Nice diversion! I mean, nice in the sense that it ham fisted, slow obvious and easily refuted. Since the building, the people building the mosque, the bible OR the Koran killed anyone, your strawman fails on ALL levels.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't know. General Petraeus has asked them to please not do this. It will supply the Taliban with propaganda to recruit more fighters.

It will put the lives of our people in danger.

Apparently, this pastor does not care.

Matthew 5:9 seems lost on him.

BTS

• tec
    tec

He also does not seem to be following 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'

If you attack us, if you attack us, we will attack you," he said.

I get that his attack is not the same as killing someone (though it could lead to the same thing for some), but this sounds more like 'eye for eye' rather than 'turn the other cheek or love your enemies.'

Tammy

• snowbird
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

Scores of people have gathered in Afghanistan's capital Kabul on Monday to denounce a U.S. church's plan to burn the Islamic holy book the Quran.

Members of the crowd gathered chanted "Long live Islam" and "Death to America" in response to fiery speeches from members of parliament, provincial council deputies, and Islamic clerics denouncing the United States and demanding the withdrawal of foreign troops from the country.The Gainesville, Florida-based Dove World Outreach Center announced plans to burn copies of the Islamic holy text on church grounds to mark the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Members of the crowd gathered Monday in the street in front of western Kabul's Milad ul-Nabi mosque.

They burned American flags and a cardboard effigy of Dove World Outreach Center's pastor, Terry Jones, before dispersing peacefully.

http://www.todayonline.com/BreakingNews/EDC100906-0000163/Afghan-Crowd-disperses-after-burning-US-flags,-effigy-of-pastor-planning-to-burn-Quran

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2010/09/koran-quran-patraeus-burn-dove-mosque/1

In face of Quran-burning threat, 'Silence is not an option:' Clergy

CAPTION By Mark Wilson, Getty Images UPDATE: 2:30 p.m.

Deploring a "anti-muslim frenzy" underway from Manhattan to Florida and across the country, a score of clergy and religious leaders from all faiths held a summit today and charged believers and leaders of all faiths with ...

... a moral responsibility to stand together and to denounce categorically derision, misinformation or outright bigotry directed against any religious group in this country. Silence is not an option.

Following their meeting in Washington D.C. the clergy summit participants said at their press conference that they...

... denounce categorically the derision, misinformation and outright bigotry being directed against America's Muslim community. We bear a sacred responsibility to honor America's varied faith traditions and to promote a culture of mutual respect and the assurance of religious freedom for all. In advance of the ninth anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, we announce a new era of interfaith cooperation.

CAPTION By Kamran Jebreili, AP While the original impetus for the meeting was the rising tension over the Park 51 Islamic Community Center planned for two blocks north of Ground Zero, the determination of a Florida church to burn the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11 also spurred the leaders outrage.

We are profoundly distressed and deeply saddened by the incidents of violence committed against Muslims in our community, and by the desecration of Islamic houses of worship. We stand by the principle that to attack any religion in the United States is to do violence to the religious freedom of all Americans. The threatened burning of copies of the Holy Qu'ran this Saturday is a particularly egregious offense that demands the strongest possible condemnation by all who value civility in public life and seek to honor the sacred memory of those who lost their lives on September 11. As religious leaders, we are appalled by such disrespect for a sacred text that for centuries has shaped many of the great cultures of our world, and that continues to give spiritual comfort to more than a billion Muslims today.

The summit was called by the Islamic Society of North America -- the mammoth civic group let by Ingrid Mattson, director of Islamic Chaplaincy at the Macdonald Center for Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations at Hartford Seminary in Hartford, Conn., clergy are going to call out for compassion and solidarity and more interfaith collaboration.

In New York today, seven Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders including Archbishop Timothy Dolan also issued a statement committing themselves to "facilitating" respectful dialogue about Park 51. Their statement said, in part,

All of us must ensure that our conversations on this matter remain civil, that our approaches to each other are marked with respect, and that our hearts stay free of bitterness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit