Pastor to burn Koran

by beksbks 265 Replies latest social current

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I am really torn over this.

I think it is insensitive and stupid for a CHURCH or pastor to do this, but I support it wholeheartedly as an expression of free speech.

There is an inherent conflict between worldwide Islam, and the concept of free speech in America.

Pistoff posted this pages back, and I want to bring it BTTT. While I disagree that there is an "inherent conflict" between Islam and free speech, I think his comment on the pastor being able to exercise his free speech rights is spot on.

He has the right to burn the Quran, and the rest of America has the right to raise up against it. THAT is the lesson that will be shown to the world. While I appreciate Patreaus' (sp?) concern for his troops, I don't think we should refrain from doing things that will anger others.

Instead, the lesson is to show how we deal with multiple perspectives.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Woman! JWoods doesn't NEED to do anything! Who do you think you are! ;-) Where do you think we are? In the backroom of a JC?

Maybe she wants us to sign a carefully worded petition, Journey-On. Or maybe she just has a bumblebee caught in her wig.

I for one have moved on - everything is pretty clear now for everyone to see.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

But - All day long, every day, for the last decade???

Maybe the words should be selected a little more carefully - just saying...

Correct. It should say, "every WORK day, for the last decade." I averaged sixteen flippin' phone calls per day from clients and had to get my substantive work done in between those calls. The main reason I am going on to become an attorney is so that I will have LESS client contact and MORE attorney contact.

sorry...off topic...

• Mary
    Mary
    Justitia said: While I disagree that there is an "inherent conflict" between Islam and free speech

Surely you jest. That's like saying there's no "inherent conflict" between the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and free speech.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Correct. It should say, "every WORK day, for the last decade."

That was a big file folder full of legal fail.

BTS

• journey-on
    journey-on
    The main reason I am going on to become an attorney is so that I will have LESS client contact and MORE attorney contact.
    Good luck with that. And we all know that attorneys use clarity of speech much more so than a mere client, don't we. ;-)
  • Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Woman! JWoods doesn't NEED to do anything! Who do you think you are! ;-) Where do you think we are? In the backroom of a JC?

Man! I am a person has as much right as anyone else on this board to question why someone will not state his or her position. All this has been in response to MY simple question to him. IF he didn't want to answer, he didn't need to. ;) He could have just ignored the post.

Semantics aside...until JWoods does affirmatively state his position, I will still suspect him as being someone who, because of his ant i-Muslim feelings, would sit back and let Constitutional violations take place in America.

Far from being in the backroom of a JC, we are on a public board, just the place for stating where one stands. :)

And, in the interest of accuracy, I do not feel semantics are a problem, except for those who do not communicate clearly and explicity. When one uses confusing language, and it is pointed out, simply clarify. ...very, very simple....

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The main reason I am going on to become an attorney is so that I will have LESS client contact and MORE attorney contact.

But - the clients are an attorney's customers, right?

Oh - never mind...

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Or...perhaps read better than others. :)

I'm getting so tired of the "I'm right because I'm so much smarter than everyone else here" defence.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    ...until JWoods does affirmatively state his position, I will still suspect him as being someone who, because of his ant i-Muslim feelings, would sit back and let Constitutional violations take place in America.
    Are you sure you're cut out to be an attorney? Just sayin'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit