Beware of the Strawman argument!

by Farkel 97 Replies latest jw friends

• carvin
    carvin

Debator - The WT does not harmonize with the bible, they don't even have Bible studies. They have book or magazine studies. If you were to read Moby Dick, and while doing so you used a dictionary to look up a few words, would you then claim to be studing the dictionary? Well thay is what the WT does, they study their own publications and use the Bible as a reference book to "prove what they wrote". It is not honest schollarship to look at one sentence from one book, another sentence from another book(at times from differant authors) and say they are talking about one subject, or that they are proving anything the WT says. Why does the WT publish very few commentaries? - Because their teachings can not stand up when a Bible book is read/"studied" in context. I know the Wt has had a few but they were/are more humorous than anything else. Please be honest do you truely your whole heart, mind, soul, and spirit believe that the trumpet blasts in Revelation are refering to speaches given by the WT in an Ohio convention? Please answer that question, don't tell me that "we don't believe that anymore" or some other off the topic answer just answer it yes or no.

That will tell us a lot about your purported honesty

• peacedog
    peacedog
    Please be honest do you truely your whole heart, mind, soul, and spirit believe that the trumpet blasts in Revelation are refering to speaches given by the WT in an Ohio convention?

You realize you're asking a cultist to contradict his cult masters, right?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I know that in any discussion on doctrines or practises that I had with my mother, anything I say about JW's and WTS is not accepted. She simply wants to know who said it or wrote it. Then she simply says that "the media" belongs to Satan or that "college-educated critics" are self-serving like their father Satan, and that "authors" are blinded by Satan. She never allows the point itself to be examined.

• carvin
    carvin

Peacedog - You realize you're asking a cultist to contradict his cult masters, right?

Yes I do, but the question is does Debator know that?

• peacedog
    peacedog

carvin,

Good points, by the way. So true what you said about the Society and bible commentaries.

I was a kid when I studied the Revelation book and even then I thought their claims were absurd...

• VM44
  • debator
    debator

Hi Peacedog

The word "channel" was simply used to express the opinion that we are the only people at this time following Jehovah on earth and that is literally the truth.

Trinitarians which make up the majority of Christendom atm worship their triune God that is an amalgamation that is not found expressed in the bible.

You would have too prove to me that more than witnesses actually fulfill the following scripture and that saying "channel" is in anyway wrong?

John 4:23
    Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

As a bare accusation it is simply used as a strawman/loaded question with the assumption wrongdoing in it's wording without having established any wrongdoing.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa said;

The word "channel" was simply used to express the opinion that we are the only people at this time following Jehovah on earth and that is literally the truth.

My reply: The word channel simply expressed the teaching of the WT that they, and they alone, provide God's truth to mankind...and made the the false prophets they are when what they spoke in God's name didn't happen.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

One needs only to open up a Trinity brochure or Creation book to find scores of examples of straw men.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reni-bator;

Trinitarians which make up the majority of Christendom atm worship their triune God that is an amalgamation that is not found expressed in the bible.

My reply:

Not under discussion here

-Bator: You would have too proof to me that more than witnesses actually fulfill the following scripture and that saying "channel" is in anyway wrong?

My reply: We don't have to prove to you anything. The WT is the one asserting they are the sole channel of truth...they need to substantiate it.

-bator: John 4:23
    Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

As a bare accusation it is simply used as a strawman/loaded question with the assumption wrongdoing in it's wording without having established any wrongdoing.

My Reply: The Wt track record more than convicts them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit