Beware of the Strawman argument!

by Farkel 97 Replies latest jw friends

• debator
    debator

Hi inbetween

Did you notice you own introduction of "God's channel" strawman into the argument you set down?

You were playing out a scenario of witnesses teaching something other than what is written in the Bible in your example but you do not actually bring any specific example into the equation? Basically an empty accusation with no prove other than your opinion.

At this point people usually bring in a strawman like, bible prophecy fulfilment (which you check again the world as to it's fulfillment not the bible) or "God's channel" or "accusations of being a cult" or some hearsay example of some person among other common place examples I see on here. None of which are teachings you actually check against the Bible basically as my original point says... These are just strawmen arguments people have learned from various sites.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

nice strawman argument Farkel - full of irony

• inbetween
    inbetween

debator, either you dont understand or dont want ot understand, I have not figured that out yet.

anyway, there are plenty examples here, were official WTS teaching is either not supported by the bible or represents distortet biblical explanations.

you want examples ?

just a few at the top of my head:

WT says :never question the FDS - bible says: Gal 1:8, Acts 17:11 etc

WT says: 1914 Gods kingdom in heaven(due to whacky chronology) - bible says: Acts 1:6,7

WT says: birthday reason for dfd - bible says: Romans 14:5,6

much more here on JWN or here: www.jwfacts.com

well researched, and documented.

btw, you did not cite any specific proof of your statement, that witnesses teach more accurate than any other religion, either.

My little dialogue should only mirror your post, just from the opposite site, showing that both, witnesses and ex-witnesses often use strawman arguments. However, according to my experience, its more often used by witnesses.

Thats how we are trained, for example, if someone asks, if we would let our children rather die than accept blood transfusion, the answer is: Blood is dangerous and there are other safer methods, and so on,....a typical strawman.

And dont say, we dont do that, because me and other witnesses (ex-JW here can testify too) used exactly this strategy...

• peacedog
    peacedog

debator,

Lol. Go ahead and forget about the straw man fallacy (you clearly have no idea what it is anyway) and focus on your own false premise:

If you test what the Witnesses teach against the bible they are shown to be more accurate than any other Christian faith atm.
  • PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Debator(post337) said: "...what the Witnesses teach against the bible..." See, the Witnesses are against the Bible! He/she is really apostate after all! lol!

PS. Quote mining in the finest Watchtower tradition.

• peacedog
    peacedog

debator:

"God's channel" or "accusations of being a cult" or some hearsay example of some person among other common place examples I see on here. None of which are teachings you actually check against the Bible basically as my original point says

Lol again. So the Society's brazen claim to be "God's channel" is not a "teaching you actually check against the bible"?? Enlighten us then, what is their claim based on?

• carvin
    carvin

Farkel - Great example and great thread, logic is something missing in dub land.

Mary - I really enjoy reading your 'experiences" I wish I had the calm natuer your have when dealing with them. I don't raise my voice or call names as that is not my nature. However I do get frustrated and tend to just drop the subject. But reading yours and many others posts do help in my framing some responces. Thanks to all of you

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Me --- If you test what the Witnesses teach against the bible they are shown to be more accurate than any other Christian faith atm.

You mean that teaching concerning how our deaths acquit us of our sins regardless of whether we accept Christ or not? Based on Romans 6:7.

Try reading that in context to see if their teachings are really accurate against the Bible.

• debator
    debator

Hi gary

Can you clarify please the "resurrection of the dead" is a basic bible theme from hebrew scriptures onwards. Jews that never saw Jesus await resurrection on the last day?

John 11:24
    Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

• peacedog
    peacedog

Reniaa/debator:

Still waiting for you to answer the question:

"God's channel" or "accusations of being a cult" or some hearsay example of some person among other common place examples I see on here. None of which are teachings you actually check against the Bible basically as my original point says

So the Society's brazen claim to be "God's channel" is not a "teaching you actually check against the bible"?? Enlighten us then, what is their claim based on?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit