Beware of the Strawman argument!

by Farkel 97 Replies latest jw friends

• its_me!
    its_me!

Wow Farkel! You have stirred up quite a discussion here! Kudos on your explanation of the strawman argument. I have never heard it explained so clearly.

Debator---I still can't understand, if you believe in the teachings of the Watchtower Society so completely, do you not know that you are endangering your relationship with Jehovah, and your eternal salvation by being on an apostate website? The very fact that you ignore the warnings of the Faithful and Discreet Slave proves to me that you really don't believe in it too much, or you would be pissing your pants with fear and guilt right now and running straight away to confess your sins to the elders and receive your "loving discipline." And if by chance you are an elder in the congregation, are you so haughty as to think that you are above Satan's machinations?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hi Carvin

We use the written word to support the truth we have found in God's word the bible but

everything we believe has to be backed up by bible command, scripture or established and applied bible principles.....Debator/Reniaa

2epqd90Millionsnowlivingwillneverdie.jpg picture by GeneralWaco

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Oh what a wonderful thread - I am once again reminded why I joined this wonderful site over 7 years ago

• debator
    debator

Hi its-me

Are you admitting this is a completely Apostate site? and do others agree with you?

Your accusation in this area always demands an admittance that you are what we should avoid as witnesses?

I will answer you if you answer me?

Nice strawman btw hmm or would it be classed as a red herring or diversion tactic? and quite in keeping with the theme of this thread.

• bohm
    bohm

debator:

Who am i fooling..

YES! YES IT IS!

Have you ever seen any of us defend witnesses? NO! We drove Alice away because she was not like us!

We are a 100% apostate site! YES! OFCOURSE WE ARE! you have us figured!

Why are you here? FLEE! FLEE THE DANGEROUS APOSTATES BEFORE WE GET YOU!

Or you think we are not?

• its_me!
    its_me!

Debator-----This site has been named specifically at a meeting in my home congregation where I grew up as being an apostate website. As a matter of fact, the elder stated that ANYTHING that was pertaining to the religion that was not produced by the WBTS was an apostate website. No strawman here.

So, please answer me, do you not feel guilt for being here and associating with us? When I was associated with the organization, I thought that I would be possessed by demons if I entered one of these forums. Do you know why I thought that? Because that was what I was told by the Faithful and Discreet Slave. Have you not been told the same thing?

I don't think it is a strawman because you are saying that the Org is the channel of God because they are accurate in their teachings of the bible, and you defend them as if you are a faithful witness, but the very fact that you are on this site doesn't lend much creedence to that thought.

• debator
    debator

Hi It's me.

You avading my question, Do you personally think you are an apostate on and apostate site?

My own personal knowledge is No specific sites are mentioned in our publications and warnings are generally against various forms of association. Since it is personal conscience whether we attend other religions church weddings of funerals your words don't ring true as to what an elder would say.

I'm surprised your local congregation would mention a specific site and your words "possessed by Demons" doesn't ring true as to what a witness would say?

Have you actually been a witness? your wording speaks more of someone with only limited knowledge of witnesses from maybe a family member.

Btw This is argument is a strawman because it is often used to deflect from the real topics under discussion as indeed as you used it.

I have to say there is nothing like ex-Jws for trying to be the conciences of those remaining in the witnesses around them. They are constantly trying to make them feel guilty when they themselves couldn't keep to Jehovah's standards and prefer a world were they do not Follow Jehovah.

• its_me!
    its_me!

Yes. I am an apostate on an apostate site. I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I have heard this site mentioned specifically from the platform. And the words that were used were as follows... " Visiting these sites where opposers of Jehovah congregate can leave your mind open for Satan to take hold." Sounds like possession to me.

How can you not think that this is an apostate site? It obviously is, as others have told you. Your conscience is the one that needs some tweaking, I sleep just fine at night. And by the way, NONE in the world we live in can keep to Jehovah's standards perfectly. All one can do is try. You are the one who comes off as only being familiar with the witnesses rather than being one, if you were, you would know that being on this site marks you yourself as an apostate, and if found out, you yourself would be disfellowshipped.

• its_me!
    its_me!

And what do funerals and weddings have to do with being on an apostate website? Funerals and weddings= conscience matter, apostate websites= NOT A CONSCIENCE MATTER.

• peacedog
    peacedog

Since I'm running out of tumbleweeds on the other thread, I'll move my question here:

"As loyal servants of Jehovah, why would we even want to peek at the propaganda put out by these rejecters of Jehovah's table who now verbally beat those who are helping us take in 'healthful words'?" (WT 7/1/1994, p.12)

debator: please explain your lack of loyalty in peeking at our "propaganda".

I have to say there is nothing like ex-Jws for trying to be the conciences of those remaining in the witnesses around them.

This quote is particularly funny, given that it's YOU who has sought US out, not the other way around...

(PS - is anyone else getting a kick out of debator labeling everything under the sun a "strawman"?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit