To new Christians on JWN

by brotherdan 284 Replies latest watchtower bible

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

brotherdan -- It is my sincere hope that in twelve months you'll still be here and that you'll have a new perspective on many of these matters.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Okay, I am back and I just read through all the posts. Whew, that was long...

BrotherDan,

I agree with you in that this site can be very hostile towards Christians. One of our friends, Mouthy, sometimes expresses her opinion based on her Christian beliefs and then 'runs' by saying things like 'throw your rocks now' or something similar.

Your post is indeed bold and I commend you on it. I hope and pray that you will be able to exit out the WT tentacles and get to practice your faith freely.

May God Bless You

• zombie dub
    zombie dub
    Zombie dub, because I have researched other so-called holy books and the reasons they cannot be from God are readily apparent. Everytime I am introduced to an apparent contradiction from the Holy Bible it's ALWAYS ended up strengthening my faith instead of destroying it. Sometimes those little "contradictions" are not contradictions at all and end up being fine testaments to God. Until I can disprove the Word of God, I will not throw it out because faulty human philosophies, IMO.

Have you honestly researched other holy books in as much detail as you have the bible? I imagine you find a contradiction in the bible and go through all kinds of illogical mental gymnastics to make it fit, but if you found an apparent contradiction in something like the quaran you would immediately say "ah ha, that proves it's wrong". Just be honest with yourself. If you honestly have spent the same amount of time trying to reconcile the problems with other holy books as you have the bible, then fair play - can you honestly say this?

To me it seems you are bias and have an agenda that the bible is right and everything else is wrong. I would also guess had you been born in india or saudi arabia your bias would have been for a different holy book.

Also you didn't answer my query as to whether you were catholic, and if not why do you put faith in a catholic holy book?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

GaryNeal this site is no more hostile to Christians than it is to atheists. It's just that when the Christians throw their stones at the atheists they call them "love" bombs.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

I find it personally offensive that you state agnostics/atheists can't really be content. I lived my life wrapped up in the cotton-balled belief that there was a big bloke up in the sky watching my every move, and it hit me hard to discover it was all a fairytale. But once the shock subsided, I realised: for the first time I am following my heart. Deep down I never truly believed in the God theory, and it's a relief to let it go.

It's like I was going through life with a set of headphones on, blocking out life's noises with classical music. And although I like classical music, the sound of reality is so much sweeter.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I am more content and happy in the last 4 years as an atheist than I ever was in my 40 as a JW.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Cheers to that CD.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

ditto here...

• streets76
    streets76

I was gonna say that Christianity is the Special Olympics of religion, but I don't really know enough about other religions to make that judgement. I'll have to get back to you on that.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    now I can see that you're pitting human standards against God's, so there's no reason to continue this discussion.
    And such is the cop-out of the bible believers... Claim that God's standards are different and no one can understand, just accept.

No cop-out.

I just don't believe we have the full picture regarding God, and, therefore, should avoid being so presumptuous as to sit in judgment of Him.

Oh, now I can see that you're pitting human standards against God's, so there's no reason to continue this discussion.
    What? What are god's standards that I misrepresented there. I am asking.

Your points about killing babies and Hitler's atrocities were not misrepresentations of God's standards?

I, too, am asking.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit