To new Christians on JWN

by brotherdan 284 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Leoalia, nice points. I'm obviously no commentator in any sense of the word. I do recognize that he speaks of those that don't think they are accountable to God or that He doesn't care. And you are right, theoretical or philosophical atheism did not exist at the time. We hadn't cut out our spiritual eyeballs yet.

I do see a connection in the philosophical atheism of today, however, and what the psalmist was saying in these verses.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Hadit, I can understand the nerve this post may have struck with you. But I can only water down the gospel message so much. The gospel message is much stronger than I have related it.

Like I've said over and over about being elitist. I accept everyone. And in my daily life I am happy to live and let live. But the Bible constantly shows the eventual inevitability of having to take sides. Jesus said that he came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword. (Mat 10:34)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

question: since you are still a jw, do you count the time you spent writing this post on you service report? who are the new christians? because I dont think that many new christians come here. if you are in this forum most likely you been a christian for a while. because I believe jws are sincere on their desire to follow jesus. unless your time as a jw didnt count. but in that case which christian group would be the right christianity? and of the jws christians dont count I would like to remind you you are still a jw. so you wouldn't be a real christian. also if your desiree is to really help the new people coming here, dont you think that the first thing they need its to recover from the damage and then once they are recovered they can choose which religion to follow? otherwise it would be like a rebound relationship and what makes you decide that christianity its the right religion? what if it is islam? or judaism or shintoism? if the wt is false that doesn't make christiaism right. does it? isn't it a little presumptuous to believe you have the truth....when you are a jw? how bout when you aren't? to me, and it my opinion this post sounds more like the 10 minute talk in the service meeting. but that's just my opinion.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

somebody please put paragraphs on my last post cuz I cant from my phone. thanks

• donny
    donny

I classify myself as agnostic. After I left the Witnesses I did what many do and that meant going to other churches and/or listening to other beliefs, At first, I started attending another church and it was fine for a while, but soon I also had questions about their particular beliefs.

Then I did a long study on the history of the Bible and realized how loosely it was compiled and often it was just a majority opinion as to what was included in the 66 books most Protestants consider Scripture. During that study, I paid a lot of attention to the Old Testatment and I came to the conclusion that something other than a Supreme Being was behind it. Human emotions/attitudes/reactions are what is reflected in this god Jehovah and his reactions are not even consistent.

So I have come to believe that I do not know for sure how we got here, but I am comfortable with being sure it was the the product of a Hebrew god of long ago.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Cyberjesus, I ABSOLUTELY don't turn in time or count time anymore! So no, I am not counting time on this forum. Yes, I think that all my previous years of doing their preaching work is invalid. At least I hope that God can forgive me for those years.

I don't think that "I" have the truth. I believe that Jesus said that HE is the truth. I want no one to think anything or believe anything because I say it. Also there seems to be a problem with your definition of "Christian". Being a Christian in no way involves religion. God doesn't save you because you belong to a religion. The Bible is very clear that it is ALL about belief. Those that believe that Jesus is the Christ will be saved. So again, I'm not trying to sway anyone. I am giving my opinions and listening to others. If you view the topic of this thread it was directed to those that are ALREADY Christians. It's entire purpose was to say that even though there are people that have lost their faith, there are still others on the board that still have a relationship with God. The purpose was for the new ones that come to JWN to not feel alone.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Plus, cyber, you should know from my previous posts that I am still "In" the organization only due to trying to help get my family out. It's a slow process. If it was just me and I wasn't married with kids then I'd be out in 2 seconds.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

Brother Dan, can i ask why is it you believe the bible is from god, but the qua ran, book of mormon etc are not? Why that holy book and not another? Also are you a catholic? If not why do you accept the catholic bible, because the 66 books you take as being from god where simply the books the catholic church picked from 100s of potentials books that could have been in there.

• Inkie
    Inkie

BrotherDan:

And to be biblically specific (and I know I can be pedantic at times), a Christian is one who HAS BEEN anointed with holy spirit for the word itself MEANS "anointed one." Plain and simple. Unless you've been anointed with holy spirit you are not technically/bibilically (or in reality) a Christian. That anointing is Christ's decision. He wants us to ask for the holy spirit if we haven't yet received it. And he wants us to KEEP ON ASKING and it will be given.

--Inkie

• Hadit
    Hadit

Brotherdan: I’m not sure you got the point of my post. People here are out or coming out of an abusive religion based on the bible. Judging them for being atheists or what have you by using the bible to back you up is like adding insult to injury. Some are still hurt. That’s all I’m trying to say. We’ve all been judged enough. Of course neither side has the right to judge! We are all in a constant learning process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit