To new Christians on JWN

by brotherdan 284 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

LWT - I may have a very different set of beliefs in 12 months. Like I've already posted, what I know MOST right now is that I know very little. But I have to make a defense of my faith. And that will never stop even if my beliefs change.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The ones that I really worry for are those that, in their own humanistic reasoning, choose which parts of the Bible to believe and which parts to leave. The Bible is an all or nothing book.

Please expand on this.

When you ignore parts of the Bible, is it because of your unique interpretation? If so, how is this different from "leaving" parts?

Did you know that most Christians alive today do not share your view? In view of this, what conclusions, if any, can we draw about God? Are his followers a precious few or does he enjoy the confusion among those calling upon his name?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yes, his followers are a precious few. The narrow road and all that. Few are the ones finding it.

I should clarify. If I cannot believe the entire bible, then I can believe non of it. Maybe that's just me. If I can take something that I don't like and just throw it away, why would I choose to accept ANYTHING that is claimed in the Bible?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

But I have to make a defense of my faith.

No you don't.

• streets76
    streets76

The Bible is an all or nothing book

Yeah, I like the part where I can own unlimited slaves and concubines. Unfortunately, the local authorites see it otherwise.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yes I do sixofnine. I would do the same if I was an atheist. I appreciate open dialogue.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You're being repressed, streets76.

• tec
    tec

If I can take something that I don't like and just throw it away, why would I choose to accept ANYTHING that is claimed in the Bible?

It has nothing to do with whether or not you like it. It has to do with reading it through the eyes Jesus gave us. HE shows the Father by his example and teachings. HE is who we follow. And I test everything ever written or said against HIM, then and now.

Tammy

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I appreciate open dialogue.

defending ones faith excludes open dialogue. Attack your faith. Don't wait for someone else to do it, do it yourself. It's fun and profitable. It's also honest.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Actually sixofnine, I attack my own faith daily. I don't really show it on here, but I try to communicate that I do this by saying things like, "I only know now that I know very little."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit