To new Christians on JWN

by brotherdan 284 Replies latest watchtower bible

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

And you are right. God cannot lie, nor be unrighteous.

So all things are NOT possible with god?

God didn't create humans with original sin. We did that to ourselves. God just set up a plan of salvation for us.

If you believe the bible, he created man with no knowledge of good or bad, then when they chose bad, they were punished. How could they be punished for choosing bad when god clearly witheld that knowldge from them? God said in the very day of their eating they would die, yet according to be bible they did not die that day. If god cannot lie, why didn't they die in that very day?It appears that satan told the truth and god lied.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

MadSweeny, I totally get what you are saying. But here's my problem. If the Bible claims to come from God and it was not from God, I would want to have nothing to do with it. It would all be a lie. The only reason we know about the Holy Spirit is because of the Bible. The only reason we know so much about God is because of what the Bible says. Without it we are no better off than the countless philosophers that have lived and come up with their own unsupported ideas. That's why the Bible constantly tells us not to rely on our own knowledge and to not put our faith in any man.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

He cannot in the sense that He will not - ever - do any unrighteous thing.

He certainly felt regret over what he did on occassion. Does that mean he did the wrong thing? Can you define "unrighteous" for me? Also, that's not what the bible says. I have to ask, how is killing babies children NOT unrighteous?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

If the Bible claims to come from God and it was not from God, I would want to have nothing to do with it. It would all be a lie. The only reason we know about the Holy Spirit is because of the Bible. The only reason we know so much about God is because of what the Bible says. Without it we are no better off than the countless philosophers that have lived and come up with their own unsupported ideas. That's why the Bible constantly tells us not to rely on our own knowledge and to not put our faith in any man.

So.....the only reason we know the bible is true is because it tells us about holy spirit and holy spirit directed the bible writers told us about god and god used holy spirit to direct them to write the bible to tell us about holy spirit and god who directed men to write the bible...etc. etc.

Circular reasoning. You never said how we know it's actually from god.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

One word my friend NVL - Prophecy. Don't mean to open up a whole 'nother can of worms. But,,,

• snowbird
    snowbird
    He certainly felt regret over what he did on occassion.

See Genesis chapter 6.

Does that mean he did the wrong thing?

No; it means man did the wrong things.

Can you define "unrighteous" for me?

Any act or thought that does not meet God's standards.

Also, that's not what the bible says.

Au contraire:

2 Timothy 2:13 If we give up on him, he does not give up—
    for there's no way he can be false to himself. MSG

I have to ask, how is killing babies children NOT unrighteous?

See above scripture and above definition of unrighteous.

Syl

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Prophecy. Don't mean to open up a whole 'nother can of worms. But,,,

Such as? Worms, my friend, are awesome and necessary :)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Ahhhh....this would be a long post. I'll have to spend some time writing it up.

NVL - THEORETICALLY, if I could prove to you that a specific prophecy was written BEFORE the time of its fulfillment, and all of the details were fulfilled and could be proven historically, would that give you reason to pause and consider the Bible more closely?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

No; it means man did the wrong things.

God felt regret over something god did. How are you blaming man?

Any act or thought that does not meet God's standards.

If god felt regret over something he did then his orginal action doesn't meet his standards. he certainly wouldn't feel regret over a righteous action, would he? If so, why?

2 Timothy 2:13 If we give up on him, he does not give up—
    for there's no way he can be false to himself.

being false to himself is not the same as being unrighteous. You in no way answered the question. How is commanding the mass execution of babies righteous?

See above scripture and above definition of unrighteous.

That did not define unrighteous. I can be truthful and do something wrong at the same time.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

THEORETICALLY, if I could prove to you that a specific prophecy was written BEFORE the time of its fulfillment, and all of the details were fulfilled and could be proven historically, would that give you reason to pause and consider the Bible more closely?

Of course!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit