Atheist believe there is no God? Yes we do, strongly!

by bohm 139 Replies latest jw friends

• Caedes
    Caedes
    A true Atheist actually believes there is no God, and that they can prove it.
    Does that mean that the only true theists are those who believe they can prove the existence of their god?
    Faith-based theists, like Burns said above, do not believe they can prove it - they believe it on faith. There probably is no truer form of theism than that.
    Athiests, however, often seem to deny that they use faith to pronounce something they cannot prove - i.e. - that there is definately no god.

Interesting that you apply two different standards, I wonder why that is?

Does it take faith to state that santa claus doesn't exist? Is my lack of belief in the tooth fairy a statement of faith? No, neither is my rejection of the existence of god/s. It is not a statement of faith or belief to reject something for which there is no empirical evidence. It takes a very peculiar twisting of the meaning of the word faith to apply it to a lack of belief.

Proof is neither here nor there, since neither side can prove anything empirically. We are all agnostics regardless of whether we acknowledge the fact or not.

• bohm
    bohm

Caedes: Good points!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Good points Caedes

It occurs to me that this focus on making narrrow definitions of atheism and faith and belief only serve the purpose of providing red herrings away from the actual logical arguments.

Even if we concede to the narrow definitions of atheism provided by believers, the end result is the same: Theists believe in something (God) for which there is no credible evidence. Atheists don't believe in something (God) for which there is no credible evidence. Now which scenario is more logical and makes more sense to you?

All of the wordplay in the world cannot change the simplicity of those facts.

• Essan
    Essan

Hi Bohm. Yep, I've no self control :)

You said: "Essan: First, lets simply agree to disagree if we should use the definition of atheism from the dictionary, since that was never really very important for this topic, and we allready have another topic that has gone for 10 pages on that subject. You put a lot of weight in the primary definition in some dictionaries"

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the etymology, historical usage and primary definition of any word to be absolutely crucial to understanding what any word means. It's bizarre to me to start off a discussion of a word by ignoring it's definition and indicative of where the discussion is heading. And by the way, it's not "some" dictionaries which have "the belief that there is no god" or "the denial of the existence of God" as the primary definition, it's the majority, and almost all when it's an etymological dictionary.

"I look at the contemporary movement and define atheism from them. Both has some value."

To me, this is like saying "I listen to other Atheists who agree with my definition of Atheism when I'm investigating the meaning of "Atheism".

I know what "Atheism" is becoming and what you and others in the "movement" want it to become. My argument is that this is just not what "Atheism" was or is. It's a reinvention that is trying to rewrite the past to justify it's actions and to disenfranchise traditional atheism and it's adherents, who are more numerous than you will acknowledge.

"Thus if you like, i think we should adopt the following terminology...."

I can't accept your new definition for atheist until you have justified it, which you haven't as yet, IMO. The "Atheist" that the dictionary primarily describes "Believes there is no God" or "Denies the existence of God". That is the "Atheist" I describe. I believe your "atheist 2" is "bunk" - of which more later. I'm certainly no "Atheist 2". There is a perfectly serviceable and historical label with thousands of years of history to describe my position, and that is "Agnostic". :)

But I understand your "atheist 2" concept. It is someone who says "I believe there is no God", but doesn't actually mean it. He's like "Atheist 1" who also says "I believe there is no God", except he does mean it. It allows you to claim that all those "atheists 1's" you'd like to disenfranchise aren't really saying what they are blatantly saying when they say it and mean it, and even to project that magic spell back in time so whenever an"Atheist" is quoted as saying "I believe there is no God" you can say, "Ah well, you see, he doesn't really mean it. It's scientific code."LOL.

Doublespeak. But I understand the concept, so I'll go with it.

"First, it is very important we agree believe can mean two different things"

Hmm, believe is not a flexible as you suggest and the context would determine it's exact meaning. The vast majority of Atheists are not scientists but ordinary people and when they say "believe", they are using is as ordinary people do, and in the same was as they would use it in other contexts. You can't get a great deal of variability from the word believe. Not from the definitions I have looked at. And, for instance, you discuss "belief" in terms of a proposed cancer cure and say:

"You might be quite sure your treatment will cure him - say 90% sure - but you cant rule out any of the other, some of them just seem very unlikely. This "educated guesswork" if you like, is what is called your "belief"'

Actually, this is almost identical the Theist "belief", it requires a degree if faith. The difference is only in your mind, I think, in that you don't respect Theistic "evidence" which they use to support their belief, whereas you respect the "evidence" of the one seeking a cancer cure (even if you don't know what it is) because he is in a profession you respect, so you respect his "belief". Theists have "evidence" and many of them are very intelligent, educated people. You just don't respect their conclusion so I suspect you see their evidence and conclusion as "Mumbo-jumbo". But his is really just a matter of perspective and opinion, not an objective basis of judgement. Their "belief" is essentially the same, but what that belief is in differs, and your attitude to that varies because of natural bias, IMO.

""I believe in X" --- "the probability that X is true is relatively high". Can we agree that "belief" can have this meaning, and usually take that meaning when it is used by scientists?"

Something to note is that if such scientists ever said, as they frequently do, something like "I believe X to highly probable" then this pretty much destroys your theory, because it would be a tautology. If "I believe"for Scientists means "I think X is highly probable", then whenever they say "I believe X to be highly probable" (or suchlike), then according to your reasoning they must actually be saying "I think X is highly probable is highly probable" LOL. Oh dear.

Of course that would prove that "believe" does not generally have that meaning even in a scientific context. If it doesn't even consistently have that meaning in a scientific context then there is no possible way it can have that meaning when used by ordinary atheists.

I said earlier: " Your claim that the word "belief" is part of some special "scientific" vocabulary employed by "Atheists" is pure fantasy." And you responded to this with:

"Can you please explain how come Jaynes use it in that sence over and over again in the textbook i quoted on page 1? Can you explain why my thesis advisors use it in that sence? Can you explain the naming of the algorithm "belief propagation" used in graphical models such as bayesian networks, the ising model, etc.?"

You are making a huge leap there. The fact that some scientists, sometimes, might use the word "believe" in the way you describe in scientific textbooks doesn't mean all "atheists", from all different backgrounds do, generally, in life do. You haven't proven that "atheists" use "believe" as part of a special scientific vocabulary - you haven't even proven that all Scientists do.

It's a novel idea, I'll give you that. But the evidence is impossibly thin, IMO.

"I also point out that when scientists say stuff like: "I believe the earth is not flat", "I believe the cambrian explosion was 10 mio. years long", "I believe horizontal gene transfer played a very important role in evolution" and "I believe there is no God" -- it may be prudent to consider they use the same meaning of the word "believe" out of habbit."

I'm not sure I understand you here. By your theory, when a scientist says "I believe the earth is flat" they actually only mean "I think it highly probable that the earth is flat"? I think we both know that can't be true. If a scientist said something like that it would show that they use "believe", at least sometimes, to mean "I am sure that...". For example they might say "I believe God does not exist", and mean: "I am sure God does not exist". And so we are back to square one, with believe meaning exactly what it does to everyone else, including Theists.

• Essan
    Essan

Caedes said: Does it take faith to state that santa claus doesn't exist? Is my lack of belief in the tooth fairy a statement of faith? No, neither is my rejection of the existence of god/s. It is not a statement of faith or belief to reject something for which there is no empirical evidence. It takes a very peculiar twisting of the meaning of the word faith to apply it to a lack of belief.

Before we get to Santa, Let's deal with God. LOL. It's not really a fair comparison seeing as everyone perceives complex design in the Universe and acknowledges the Universe requires a First Cause. Therefore it's entirely reasonable to conclude that an intelligent "Designer" "Caused" the Universe. Generally, people refer to that as God. You may not agree with that idea, but likening it to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny misrepresents the evidence theists have on which the base the concept of God - the Universe itself - probably as much as it is possible to misrepresent it. Santa may be an exotic and unnecessary answer to presents piled around a Christmas tree, but the Universe's very existence demands an answer as satisfying as God. Note, I'm not a Theist.

To deny "God's" existence then, does require faith and is not at all like denying Santa. You may deny the various personalities and representations of God presented by Theists, but even then such rejection requires a degree of belief and faith. You don't know. You don't know they don't know. It just seems unlikely.

Actually even denying Santa and the Easter bunny takes some degree of faith. LOL If this were still a classically physical world such heresy might be forgivable, but in a world of quantum weirdness and of 'many worlds' and possibly 'many minds', the denial of any possibility, no matter how seemingly unlikely, now requires a conscious act of faith on the part of any informed mind.

So, as you said, "We are all agnostics regardless of whether we acknowledge the fact or not". Yes, we all don't know, only some of us don't know it. LOL

But just to be on the safe side, I'd say a few "Hail Santas" before you go to be tonight, or goodness knows what you might find in your stockings on Christmas morning :)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    It's not really a fair comparison seeing as everyone perceives complex design in the Universe and acknowledges the Universe requires a First Cause.

That First Cause you speak of doesn't have to fit any of the descriptions of God provided by goat herders, nomads, shamans or science fiction writers, so even if there is a creator god, the one/s your particular cult has been abusing it's non-believers for not believing in, may not exist.

There allways seems to be someone wanting to slap a label on other people for their non-belief in their personal gods, demons and sciences. If it makes them feel better, that's ok with me as long as they don't use it to cast aspersions on the characters of the people who don't kowtow to their beliefs.

• wobble
    wobble

According to the Theists,I think I have taken a terrific leap of faith, I do not believe in Homeopathy.

(but I do believe in placebos.)

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

That's because the placebo effect has been quantifiably measured, whereas homeopathy...not so much.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Before we get to Santa, Let's deal with God. LOL. It's not really a fair comparison seeing as everyone perceives complex design in the
    Universe and acknowledges the Universe requires a First Cause.

Err no, everyone does not agree. Interesting that you should presume to speak for 'everyone', how egotistical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11161493

"There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe, Professor Stephen Hawking has said."

I don't acknowledge that the universe requires a first cause. Although all this talk of first cause are weasel words to avoid the inevitable, is your god supernatural? Now if you wish to redefine and reduce your god to be a mere natural first cause then I doubt any scientist would have a problem but then most theists wouldn't recognise your first cause as being god.

Therefore it's entirely reasonable to conclude that an intelligent "Designer" "Caused" the Universe. Generally, people refer to that as God. You may
    not agree with that idea, but likening it to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny misrepresents the evidence theists have on which the base the concept
    of God - the Universe itself - probably as much as it is possible to misrepresent it. Santa may be an exotic and unnecessary answer to presents
    piled around a Christmas tree, but the Universe's very existence demands an answer as satisfying as God. Note, I'm not a Theist.

No it isn't reasonable, you are adding an additional layer of complexity to the universe. What theist choose to believe on faith is of no consequence, there is no empirical evidence to support the belief in god. There is no empirical evidence to believe in fairies or santa claus either, as such I reject the existence of any of them. The fact that lots of people can only comprehend the existence of the universe by adding a supernatural god to create has no bearing on the lack of evidence for such a being. Anecdotal evidence from theists is of no interest to me, lots of children can provide anecdotal evidence that sending a letter to santa and being good will ensure a full stocking on xmas morning.

Strangely, I would think that the 'answer' of god is about as unsatisfying as one could get, a first cause exempt from the rules of cause and effect is a child's explanation. For someone who claims not to be a theist you seem to have the same beliefs in things for which you have no evidence.

To deny "God's" existence then, does require faith and is not at all like denying Santa. You may deny the various personalities and representations
    of God presented by Theists, but even then such rejection requires a degree of belief and faith. You don't know. You don't know they don't know. It
    just seems unlikely.

No, it is exactly like understanding that santa is a fiction. It is not faith to reject an idea for which no empirical evidence has been provided.

I am unclear what you think is unlikely? It is not clear from the context of your post.

Actually even denying Santa and the Easter bunny takes some degree of faith. LOL If this were still a classically physical world such heresy might be forgivable, but in a world of quantum weirdness and of 'many worlds' and possibly 'many minds', the denial of any possibility, no matter how seemingly unlikely, now requires a conscious act of faith on the part of any informed mind.

Look up the meaning of faith. The many worlds hypothesis has not been proven, but even if it were, no scientific theory allows for the supernatural. You do understand that science only deals with empirically provable phenomena?

So, as you said, "We are all agnostics regardless of whether we acknowledge the fact or not". Yes, we all don't know, only some of us don't know it. LOL

Agreed, the theists can't prove god, the atheists don't have to disprove it.

But just to be on the safe side, I'd say a few "Hail Santas" before you go to be tonight, or goodness knows what you might find in your stockings
    on Christmas morning :)

Shall we try an experiment, I will try cursing santa every night between now and xmas alongside being as kind and generous to my wife as possible, you try saying your 'hail santas' and cursing your significant other every day. I know for certain who will have a better day on the twenty fifth of December. But, of course, you don't really believe what you say you do.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Damn formatting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit