Atheist believe there is no God? Yes we do, strongly!

by bohm 139 Replies latest jw friends

• Essan
    Essan

Well, rather like the original idea that a rather obscure scientific usage of "belief" was somehow adopted unknowingly by all the worlds atheists, the idea that the notion of "degrees of belief" from a particular field of science has been adopted by all scientists and dictates their usage of the word "belief" would also have to be proven. Then, that they also used it in the context of "believing" in God's nonexistence would have to proven, and finally, if all this can be proven, we are back to the problem of explaining how this usage would have been adopted unknowingly by all Atheists.

I just found a quote by some guy called Crispin Sartwell which sums up my view of the issue you discuss in your last post.

"So I arrive at a final move: I will simply bite the bullet. There are no degrees of belief. This view was famously defended by Newman in An Essay in Aid of a Grammar of Assent. (What Newman terms `assent,' I call `belief.' `Assent,' however, is felicitous; it relentlessly emphasizes the verific orientation of belief.) He writes: "We might as well talk of degrees of truth as of degrees of assent." And in a passage that anticipates several of the dominant themes of this book, he writes: "if assent is acceptance of truth, and truth is the proper object of the intellect, and no one can hold conditionally what he holds to be true, here too is a reason for saying that assent is an adhesion without reserve or doubt to the proposition which is given" (114).

Now this seems to contradict the obvious fact that there are degrees of commitment involved in belief. But Newman suggests an admirably clear solution to this problem, one that I have already mentioned in passing. To "partly" or "conditionally" or "to some extent" believe that p is not in fact to believe p at all
    , but to believe the proposition, for example, that p is more probable than not. And one believes that proposition unconditionally. At the heart of each tentative belief, there is a belief that is held with no tentativeness, although the object of that belief is not p, but a proposition that embeds p. As Newman says: "certainly, we familiarly use such phrases as a half-assent, as we also speak of half-truths; but a half-assent is not a kind of assent any more than a half-truth is a kind of truth. As the object is indivisible, so is the act" (116)."

• bohm
    bohm

ah, i might have another way of stating the first part ;-). I doubt the paradigm in modern artificial intelligense, pattern recognition, descision making and a very large branch of probability theory, statistics and physics is that obscure...

anyway, off to bed

• Essan
    Essan

"anyway, off to bed"

Hey, you're not the boss of me! I can stay up as long as I want.

Alright, alright. I'm going!

• bohm
    bohm

Essan: Sorry for the delay, i have been quite busy during the weekend.

Well, rather like the original idea that a rather obscure scientific usage of "belief" was somehow adopted unknowingly by all the worlds atheists, the idea that the notion of "degrees of belief" from a particular field of science has been adopted by all scientists and dictates their usage of the word "belief" would also have to be proven. Then, that they also used it in the context of "believing" in God's nonexistence would have to proven, and finally, if all this can be proven, we are back to the problem of explaining how this usage would have been adopted unknowingly by all Atheists.

I have been thinking about the discussion for a while, and as i understand your argument you claim believe implies faith; a procedure we both seem to agree has no real place in a scientific context; and while this is not really a scientific way of reasoning most scientist nevertheless adopt this and make statements which are not really rational, ie. "I believe gene X play a role in HIV".

Why faith? As i understand your main argument, this follow per the definition of the word "believe" as made in the dictionary. My main argument is that i see scientists use the word in a way which seem to strongly exclude they imply faith, and by a "words take their meaning from how they are used" kind of argument i argue it can also describe rational reasoning rather than only irrational.

If this is a correct way of stating our positions it is somewhat hard to continue since we have different ways of defining meaning of words. I did a little experiment however: i tried to look up "believe" in a thesaurus, http://thesaurus.com/browse/believe and the word http://thesaurus.com/browse/infer

I invite you to look through the lists. It is clear that the majority of the entries either implies or is compatible with your interpretation, but that much was clear from the onset. But many of the entries do strongly suggest the usage i advocate is possible. Most importantly, believe is listed as a sononym for infer. It is impossible, i think, to argue infer does not mean what experts in inferrense say it mean.

You call my usage obscure. So is quantum theory. I would argue that most scientists dont grasp the nature of information very well; that many can hardly give a proper defintion of entropy or the second law of thermodynamics. But i think all scientists will argue that the way they want the word to be defined - and they way they intend to use the word - is however the experts in the relevant field define it. For example, a biologist may say that "atoms are a bit like solar systems, except we dont quite know where the electrons are, they are sort of smeared out" - its a quite incomplete statement, but it would not be right to argue scientists are somehow diveded over the meaning of wave functions and quantum mechanics.

You write that I have to proove a list of things. Why? I just claim believe can take on a special meaning - that does not imply that one set aside the usual rules for plausible reasoning - and it is prudent to consider if atheists, especially those who happends to be scientists, use it that way. I am not a scientist, but i sure know I do!

Lets address Crispin Sartwell. What scientists are trying to imitate is plausible reasoning, and one - if not the most important! - part of that is that based on the same information, two robots who perform "plausible reasoning" should arrive at the same conclusion, whatever that may be. You can read Cox work and check that out.

Secondly, a very important lesson which he seem to allude to is that in order to reason on anything, one has to make assumptions, ie. assume some statements to be true. Once those assumptions are made, one can arrive at conclusions which carry different degrees of plausibility - the complete standard terminology is "degrees of belief" - and if one of those conclusions is especially plausible [my words: believeable], one can signify that by saying that on believe it.

We can formalize it like this. Lets call W all our knowledge of the world, and lets say we want to talk about our degree of belief in some statement A given our past experience, W. Formally this is written:

A | W (following the now standard notation first introduced by Cox).

As Cox showed, under mild conditions we can denote our degree of belief by a number, lets call it P(A | W), our "degree of belief" (yes, completely standard usage of the terms) in A given W.

What Sartwell notice is that we may have a degree of belief in A | W, but implicitly there is an assumption, namely that W is true (its a hard assumption!) and from there there is only one way to arrive at our degree of belief in A, which we call, P(A | W), and accept as 100% true per the work of Cox.

Thus behind every degree of belief (WHICH EXIST!), there is a belief that is held completely true, namely W and the value of P(A | W).

I think a more elaguant way of saying it is this: We have degrees of belief, but our degree of belief is fixed, or "we must assume the universe is there and is rational". Not exactly groundbreaking for a scientist :-).

There is abselutely nothing new in this. Its completely standard material in inferrense. The only thing non-standard is his statement "there is no degrees of belief" which is trivially false; the only thing he correctly argue is that there is not only degrees of belief, or no "naked" degrees of belief.

But assuming the opposite would seem to imply that two people with the same information could arrive at different conclusions. Not exactly something we want...

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Seven pages and you are still arguing over what "belief" is.

ROTFL

• bohm
  • bohm
    bohm

bump for essan.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Apologies for not replying sooner, I was on holiday.

I will reply later today since there simply isn't a short answer.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I am late to the thread and don't have the time to read it all at the moment, so I apologize if what I say has already been addressed, debunked, confirmed, or whatever.

I am of the opinion that MANY people who call themselves atheist are REALLY agnostic. True atheists DO assert a belief: there IS NO God. Many who call themselves atheists, on the other hand, are open-minded enough to admit that there exists a possibility that a God exists, however unlikely that possibility is; they believe there is PROBABLY NOT a God. To me, that's not a true atheist.

It seems like a typical Internet semantic argument and yet it is an important distinction to get ironed out. Good thread topic here.

• bohm
    bohm

Mad S.:

I am a bit surpriced that i cared so much about this subject to debate it to this great details, but i think that after i have reflected upon it i have the answer.

I dont really care that much about the semantic stuff. I think if you look to closely at language, your gonna end up with something thats pretty badly defined either way.

But this is an important point and i want to hear if you can agree with me: A person who assert the positive statement: "Im 100% sure God does not exist", is interlectually dishonest. More precisely, he is not reasoning in a plausible way.

Atheist, defined this way, describe a person who i dont want to be associated with. Not because im not allways reasonable, but because if i per definition say i subscribe to a thought-set which is indefendable, i will have lost any argument on God per default.

Infact, it remove any point of arguing about God: I can easily demonstrate logically that any idea held with such certainty cannot be changed by evidence, not even if God himself descended from the sky and made cookies.

This does not matter in this forum, because those who hold on to that definition know - or i assume you do! - that i per that definition of the word is really an agnostic. Bad at english, but not interlectually bunk a-priori! :-), but it do matter in a more general setting, because it automatically paint everyone who wear the atheist badge as interlectually dishonest and unreasonable... i just dont see the use of that. It does not aid the discussion and while true to some dictionaries, i dont see it as true to the objective of language.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit