Glenn Beck

by will_the_apostate 157 Replies latest watchtower bible

• journey-on
  • purplesofa
  • journey-on
    journey-on

Thanks for that link, Purps......I'll put it in my Favs.

• undercover
    undercover
    ...if you go back pre-9/11 and look at his life, you will find all kinds of things he's not proud of.

but when 9/11 happened he saw an oppurtunity. What if he 'found' religion, what if he wrapped himself in the flag, what if he appealed to a whole new generation of zealots that will eventually rise from the ashes of the WTC?

He's not a patriot...he's an oppurtunist wearing the American flag as if it's a billboard advertising his wares. He's a charalatan, a fake, a money-changer, a pudgy piece of shit.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

a pudgy piece of shit.

That made me LOL, for real.

JO,

I've read allot on Becks, I am not surprised he has threats on his life at all.

In one of my earliest posts at this board, when first getting to know who Becks was, I said someone is gonna kill him.

He is very hateful and condescending. He does not do to others what he wants others to do for him.

No one else is allowed to have a past of any mistakes with Beck.

I wonder why now is he sorry he called Obama racist?

Glenn Beck Earned $32 Million In 2009

First Posted: 04- 8-10 09:04 AM | Updated: 04- 8-10 02:29 PM

Just how handsomely does it pay to be one of the most controversial men in America? For Glenn Beck, $32 million.

Beck, who became a household name in 2009, pulled in the shocking sum through a revenue stream that includes books, radio, TV, digital media, and speaking fees.

Interestingly, Forbes reports that Beck's Fox News contract is the least lucrative of all his ventures.

According to the Forbes analysis, Beck earned $12 million from book sales thanks to his "profit participation co-venture with Simon & Schuster typically reserved for authors like Stephen King." He has a five-year, $50 million contract with Premiere Radio Networks that netted $10 million for the year. His website, supported by both ads and an "Insider" subscription service as well as retail merchandise sales, brought in another $4 million. Speaking fees and events like his "Bold Fresh Tour" with Bill O'Reilly earned him $3 million, and his Fox News contract brought in $2 million. Add in a final $1 million from his Fusion magazine, and Beck had a $32 million year.

Beck told Forbes that he is more interested in the business than the politics of what he does.

"I could give a flying crap about the political process," he said. "We're an entertainment company."

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I've got a Jewish friend that was there in DC for the event. Haven't had a chance to talk to him however.

2010 may prove to be the year the Left lost definitive monopoly control of news and opinion dissemination.

Newsweak just got sold for less than the retail cost of a single issue.

The death throes are something to watch. I hope they don't turn violent, but this thread isn't encouraging.

Just look at the unhinged hatespew on here. Gotta bookmark for future reference.

BTS

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I hope they don't turn violent,

I hope they don't either.

purps

• B-Rock
    B-Rock
    2010 may prove to be the year the Left lost definitive monopoly control of news and opinion dissemination.
    Newsweak just got sold for less than the retail cost of a single issue.
    The death throes are something to watch.

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2010/08/media-loses-readers-and-viewers-to-its.html

Whether it's Newsweek being sold to the husband of a Democratic congresswoman for a dollar, or ABC deciding to turn This Week into a BBC program by turning over to Christiane Amanpour, last week the dying media itself provided us with two examples of why it's dying. By choosing radicalism over readers, the media continues narrowing its own readership and viewership, pursuing ideological purity, not only over integrity, but even over its own profits and future viability.

ake ABC's news division, which has always been notorious for its political radicalism and distaste for the average American viewer. Whether it was Peter Jennings comparing American voters to "a nation two-year olds" throwing a tantrum for voting in a Republican congress in 1994 (expect this metaphor to make a comeback after these midterm elections) or Ted Koppel turning the names of dead servicemen into an anti-war statement (Koppel was the alternative candidate to take over This Week), this has been the ABC way. But turning over This Week to Christiane Amanpour is part of the growing blend of ABC News and the BBC.

The question though is who is Christiane Amanpour meant to appeal to? To viewers who wanted another foreign talking head snootily reading the news at them, not to them. Who were desperately longing for an ABC News on air personality sympathetic to Islamic terrorists? And why would those people even bother with ABC News, when they already have the BBC.

The problem with the American media is that it doesn't speak to Americans. That's why FOX News is successful, and CNN is in the basement. Network news exists underwritten by medication and mutual fund commercials, and even so it's losing money. ABC News is making severe cutbacks even while cutting Amanpour a 2 million dollar paycheck for a show hardly anyone watches anymore. And despite investing in a splashy media rollout for the Amanpour branded This Week, she finished a distant third, well behind Meet the Press. While viewers normally tune in to see a new host, the addition of Amanpour couldn't even compete with CBS or NBC's own similarly decaying programs on the day of her own debut.

The left is furiously blasting Washington Post TV Critic Tom Shales for stating what was obvious to everyone, that Amanpour is out of place, completely clueless about US politics and insists on internationalizing domestic issues. But shooting the messenger won't save Amanpour. Her hiring is only the latest manifestation of a media that is too radicalized to save itself. Bringing in a personality from the sinking ship that is CNN was obviously a bad idea on commercial grounds alone. Amanpour left CNN, for the same reason that Campbell Brown did. And ABC News taking Amanpour in, demonstrates that they share CNN's bad judgment.

Unlike ABC producers, Americans are not interested in an "outsider's perspective" on American politics. They can get that from the White House. Threatening to stab Tom Shales with a knife won't change that either.

Amanpour's promise to "open a window on the world" for what she imagines are parochial American viewers is condescending even to those who agree with her. It's grating to those who don't. Because Amanpour's window is the parochial European left-wing window from which you can see Brussels, but not Iowa, a stifling world that is upper class in its arrogance, and low class in its empathy for terrorists. ABC News producers may be determined to bring that tiny dollhouse of a world to Americans, but who exactly is supposed to underwrite this project? The BBC and its outrageous salaries are funded by taxpayers. ABC has to pay its own way.

Lenin called on Communists to seize the telegraph offices, telephone stations and post offices in order to control the means of communication. The American left has seized the means of cultural communication, hijacking the media, the educational system and entertainment, and turning them into vehicles for their brand of political indoctrination. And they've managed to badly devalue all three. The American educational system is a shell of what it used to be, the media is imploding and the entertainment industry keeps hitting new lows. Just as in the USSR and Venezuela and everywhere else, what the radical left controls, it also destroys.

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2010/08/media-loses-readers-and-viewers-to-its.html

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I hope they don't turn violent,

I hope they don't either.

-------------

Beck is apparently a right wing kind of guy. Conservative. He is apparently getting death threats. I believe that people constantly claim that liberals ie Democrats are gun hating people...violence most often becomes linked to guns in the USA in these instances - thus when one does the math,does he have more to be afraid of from those that are like him?

I'm not even certain of hatespew. I'm seeing a lot of opinions about the character of Glen Beck but since when does disliking someone morph into hate? Why does disliking what they stand for morph into hate?

Beck suddenly finds God and himself, makes a million for telling his flock that and suddenly he's to be admired? Rush made fun of Chelsea Clinton, a little kid, and he is glorified? Beck has made a living calling people names and he's a shrewd money maker. An entertainer. The day he leaves television, the day he leaves his show and stops spouting the hate he does in a political fashion, is the day I will believe that he truly does believe he is called to God. Until then, I don't hate him - I just put him in the category of entertainer and don't believe a word he says. I think he is there to rile people up politically and have to wonder if some of his actions are not the mark of envy and fear - he touts Obama as being a Muslim and wanting to make American into a muslim country - if Beck had his way, do you think he would just switch that over to Mormonism? There's no doubt.

sammieswife

-------

Black guy" impersonations were just one sign of the young Beck's racial hang-ups.Among the few recordings of "Captain Beck and the A-Team" archived online is a show from February 1986 in which Beck discusses that night's prime-time television schedule. When the subject turns to Peter Strauss, an actor known for starring in television's first miniseries, Beck wryly observes, "They say without [Strauss' early work] the miniseries 'Roots' would never have happened." Clydie Clyde then chimes in with an exaggerated and ironic, "Oh, darn." The throwaway dig at "Roots," which chronicled the life of a slave family, wins knowing chuckles from Beck's co-hosts.

Beck's real broadcasting innovation during his stay in Kentucky came in the realm of vicious personal assaults on fellow radio hosts. A frequent target of Beck's in Louisville was Liz Curtis, obese host of an afternoon advice show on WHAS, a local AM news-talk station. It was no secret in Louisville that Curtis, whom Beck had never met and with whom he did not compete for ratings, was overweight. And Beck never let anyone forget it. For two years, he used "the big blonde" as fodder for drive-time fat jokes, often employing Godzilla sound effects to simulate Curtis walking across the city or crushing a rocking chair. Days before Curtis' marriage, Beck penned a skit featuring a stolen menu card for the wedding reception. "The caterer says that instead of throwing rice after the ceremony, they are going to throw hot, buttered popcorn," explains Beck's fictional spy.

Despite the constant goading, Curtis never responded. But being ignored only seemed to fuel Beck's hunger for a response. As his attacks escalated and grew more unhinged, a WHAS colleague of Curtis' named Terry Meiners decided to intervene. He appeared one morning unannounced at Beck's small office, which was filled with plaques, letters and news clippings -- "a shrine to all that is Glenn Beck," remembers Meiners. He told Beck to lay off Curtis, suggesting he instead attack a morning DJ like himself, who could return fire. "Beck told me, 'Sorry, all's fair in love and war,'" remembers Meiners. "He continued with the fat jokes, which were exceedingly cruel, pointless, and aimed at one of the nicest people in radio. Glenn Beck was over-the-top childish from Day One, a punk who tried to make a name for himself by being disruptive and vengeful."

Zaitchik goes on to explain how Beck took this same act from Louisville to Phoenix:

The animosity between Beck and Kelly continued to deepen. When Beck and Hattrick produced a local version of Orson Welles' "War of the Worlds" for Halloween -- a recurring motif in Beck's life and career -- Kelly told a local reporter that the bit was a stupid rip-off of a syndicated gag. The slight outraged Beck, who got his revenge with what may rank as one of the cruelest bits in the history of morning radio. "A couple days after Kelly's wife, Terry, had a miscarriage, Beck called her live on the air and says, 'We hear you had a miscarriage,' " remembers Brad Miller, a former Y95 DJ and Clear Channel programmer. "When Terry said, 'Yes,' Beck proceeded to joke about how Bruce [Kelly] apparently can't do anything right -- about he can't even have a baby."

"It was low class," says Miller, now president of Open Stream Broadcasting. "There are certain places you just don't go."

"Beck turned Y95 into a guerrilla station," says Kelly. "It was an example of the zoo thing getting out of control. It became just about pissing people off, part of the culture shift that gave us 'Jackass.'" Among those who were appalled by Beck's prank call was Beck's own wife, Claire, who had been friends with Kelly's wife since the two worked together at WPGC

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://www.glenn-beck-sucks.com/

I thought I would look into some details of the Saturday 8-28 rally Glenn Beck is having in Washington, and I found some things that are in a word, shady looking.

If you go to the website (www.glennbeck.com/828/) and scroll down you see that Beck claims to be doing the rally to raise money for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. It says this:

Every day service personnel risk their lives to protect our country. It is through the support of non-profit organizations like the Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF) that the families of these service members are taken care of in the event of an accident or loss of life. Learn more about the SOWF today by visiting www.specialops.org
    But then below that Beck tells people to send donation to this address:
    SOWF
    C/O Mercury Radio Arts
    1270 Avenue of the Americas, 9th Floor
    NY, NY 10020
    So here is the shady part, that address is for Glenn Beck, he is in New york, and he works for Mercury Radio Arts. While the Special Operations Warrior Foundation is in Tampa Florida, and on their donation page it says send your donations to them in Florida.

But that's not all, on the glennbeck.com/828 website is also has a link to buy t-shirts that takes you to the Glenn Beck store, and it also has this notice at the very bottom of the main page.
    The purchase of Restoring Honor Rally merchandise is not a donation to SOWF, but all net proceeds from the sale of Restoring Honor Rally merchandise is being donated to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. All contributions made to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF) will first be applied to the costs of the Restoring Honor Rally taking place on August 28, 2010. All contributions in excess of these costs will then be retained by the SOWF.
    Notice it does not say ALL proceeds from the sale of merchandise will be donated to the SOWF. It says the NET PROCEEDS will be donated. Notice that it also says All contributions made to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF) will first be applied to the costs of the Restoring Honor Rally.

This is a scam folks, because Beck is using their name (SOWF) to raise money to pay for his political rally. And then if, and that's a big if, any money is left over they will donate it to the SOWF. So if they raise a million dollars, and the rally cost a million dollars the SOWF gets nothing. But Beck gets his rally either way, which is a scam, if not borderline illegal, or at least unethical.

Now as far as I can tell the SOWF is a valid military charity, but you should check them out yourself before you decide to give them money. And I sure as hell would not donate any money to them through Glenn Beck, or Mercury Radio Arts.

What you should do if you plan to donate money to them is do it directly, and forget the dishonest and misleading Beck 8-28 rally. Because then you will know they actually get the money. If you donate through the Beck website they might not get a dime of it.

Beck is basically using their name to fund his rally, then he claims it is not a political rally, and only after they raise the money to pay for the rally will the SOWF get a donation, and they might not get a dime.

Which is just flat out misleading, because if you do not read the fine print you would think all the money is going to the SOWF, and you would be wrong. Because they only get the money left over after the rally is paid for, if there is anything left over at all.

I am pretty sure what he is doing is technically legal, but it sure is shady, misleading, and just wrong. And notice that Beck does not mention any of this, or O'Reilly, or Fox News. Nobody reports these details, which is another red flag. As far as I know I am the only person who is reporting this, which is sort of shocking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit