Watchtower Attorney and new contract for deceased?

by Dogpatch 54 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Remember that all laws in this area that deal with a husband and wife pertain dependent on any will or document that the spouses have set up and the laws of inheritance in your state, etc. It is very unlikely that they can legally sign away your property.

But I can see WT Legal following up on any documents signing over property, etc., to the WTS to make sure it is solid legally.

As to parents signing away their property, etc., the rights of children are not too strong anyway since they can do what they will with their belongings unless they inherited under a document with restrictions.

Most legal advisors have their clients send a copy of the bequest document to the WTS.

As to elders putting pressure on jws...I have not seen that. Actually, I have seen them try to stay as far away as they can. I can believe there are some individuals. But a concentrated campaign by the WTS...I don't see the proof. yet.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

good idea to get this document out in to the public as soon as possible.

I noticed an increase in direction from the society's representatives (CO & DO primarily) regarding the planned giving in recent years.

When it first came out not too much was said about it, but there certainly seemed to be a concerted effort put forth to make sure the elderly in the congregation were aware of the program.

Perhaps these efforts have escalated after my departure. It would not be surprising.

Thanks for your efforts to flush this out Randy.

The Oracle

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yay, Lady Lee!!

Thanks for posting that link!

• carvin
    carvin

Cameo-D

Thanks for your reply, my dad survived and is still with us today but he is not in great healt so I'm sure I will have more wonderful encounters. Your questions are awesome.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

There are a whole stack of aged JW's in the UK, many without wealth other than a modest home - but modest homes are often worth over £100k. A typical congregation may receive £5k a year in contributions but every few years tens of thousands are left via a will. In my old KH most of the elderly were fairly well cared for and sure enough - a generous chunk of money appears in the building fund soon after one of them passes away.

In my limited experience I had not heard of elders badgering the elderly but all it takes is an offer to sort out all that worrying paperwork, that it is a tax efficient method of giving and the need is great can easily influence someone who doesn't have their wits about them.

Shunning = a global strategy to split families to get estates upon death? A benefit for them but not the reason to maintain strictness in applying it - surely a touch far fetched? I agree that the WTS will be fully aware of how much money they make each year on this. I would be interested to know if they receive some kind of report when the legal documents are signed. i.e. this publisher is in good standing, has no spouse/dependents who are baptised but one df'd son etc. I bet they apply some kind of science to these stats to produce their income forecasts as well.

MMXIV

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

I am a law student getting my JD.

This sort of contract could be easily fought in probate if it says anything deemed a fallacy.. I also doubt the WT would want this sort of publicity on the subject matter, so would probably not fight too hard on a motion to set aside the agreement.

To have a contract or agreement that requires one party to fulfill their part of the agreement outside a reasonable scope of enforcement - due to statue of limitation issues etc - is more than problematic. Judges do not go for these sorts of agreements in probate hearings (or any hearing). You might as well name the Holy Spirit as a third party beneficiary. Those sorts of documents do not hold weight when challenged.

My grandmother just gave $150k to the WT - I was not happy.

JP

• roguepixel
    roguepixel

Does anyone know much about UK law? I've found out that my mum intends to donate a quarter of her estate to the WT upon death. I heard from somebody that the WT doesn't fight if you contest the will, as it's bad press, etc.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I heard from somebody that the WT doesn't fight if you contest the will, as it's bad press, etc.

Do not believe that! The WTS will take money from anywhere and anyone whatever the publicity. Look at the link below. A brother is disfellowshipped but the WTS still takes his legacy, even when the relatives ask for help for a disabled nephew!

http://freelancefundraisers.dreamhosters.com/?p=9

George

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

This is disturbing.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Been dealing with this for years.

Conditional loans are a fraud. That is why DETAILS are not widely published and you need to get additional paerwork from the treasurers office.

Just try recovering the cash. If the elderly JW/person needs $$ back or state assistance (medicaid) and honestly mentions the loans or gifts to WTBTS the social worker will not OK them for government assistance. They end up begging from relatives.

The Treasurers office wants to handle everything by phone. Nothing in writing and advises to put the elderly on welfare (after strip mining them).

Defrauders of widows, the government, and heirs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit