Did you really want to live forever?

by serenitynow! 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

like lozhasleft said... i found the love of my life and only maybe 30 years left aint enough...

I did and do want to live forever, but know i cant so i adjusted to mortality!

The getting old an infirm is gunna suck. wife works in aged care and boy do i not want to go there!

oz

• agonus
    agonus

On the other hand, like many kids, I was sometimes afraid of dying too. Funny, it seems like neither death nor eternal life is what many people actually want.

Maybe that's why we sleep?

• agonus
    agonus

I guess the trick is not to think about it too much. Or get old.

• Scully
    Scully

I don't think anyone truly wanted to live forever. Once you've visited one mansion in Paradise™ that had been scooped up from dead rich Worldly™ people, you've pretty much seen them all. Once you've travelled to every part of the planet, you'll have nowhere else to visit. Once you've tried every variety of fruit, vegetables and the vast variety of recipes from around the globe, what else is there to try? Once you've got your animal menagerie together, who's going to clean up all that poop forever and ever??

The thought of Living Forever™ serves two purposes: it plays on peoples' fear of death and the unknown, and it provides a kind of back burner where people can store their hopes and dreams for later, instead of living in the here and now or trying to achieve worthwhile goals in the present.

Both of these purposes allow the WTS to capitalize on working its slave labour force into the ground, because something so much better is Just Around the Corner™. All you have to do is carry on and do what you're told to do.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Sure. I had it all planned out. I was going to take a lot of hot babes in my spaceship and go out to populate a few galaxies.

W

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

being married to one guy for millions of years was depressing

Why so short serenity?

In fact you as a surviving JW would be married and live for trillions of trilliions years... If universe exists just 15 000 000 000 years, you would live billions and billins times longer...

As for me me - when I was an active JW I didnt think abóut it in detail. Today I see it would be a nightmare to live forever and ever... Its not a thousand or a million year - its forever, you are traped in your life and you cannot escape it.

As for me now - I got used to the idea I will die one day. As billions of people have died before me. As billiions of animals have died before me. As billions of people will die after me. Not a big deal, you get used to it.

If I was to live forever, I would like to have a hope to upgrade one day to a higher level of life in another world or reality (you can call it Haeven or Nirvana or whatever...)

Albert

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Well, at the time I certainly did - I was 9 or so when I first saw the pictures of Paradise in the first Paradise Lost book (the first orange one (early 60's).

But, seeing as how fast time is flying by now that I am mid-50's, I'm trying to figure out how you could even 'enjoy' everlasting life at the rate at which the days would pass once you're say 1,000,000 years old....difficult to fathom....

• carvin
    carvin

Not if it meant I had to be a Dub! That would suck!

• cantleave
    cantleave

I love life, I would love to live forever (or at least a lot longer than we get) as long as I was in good health. That's why I stayed in a cult for 42 years.

I know it's not going to happen and ironically the thought of living forever has resulted in me missing opportunities to live this life to the full, and really make the most of my best years..

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

No - it is illogical if you think about it for more than about 2 minutes. And not wanting to die after 70 years is not the same as wanting to live forever. I like the idea in Lord of the Rings where Bilbo lives a long time because of the ring but talks about being stretched beyond where he is supposed to. However, I think the same thing can be said about going to heaven can't it? Eternity on earth or in heaven would just become hell. Sorry, but it would. Think about it. On earth it would be kingdom songs every night around the campfire with a lion or tiger for a pillow. In heaven it would be lots of harp playing or waiting for god to have one of his 'moments' after another angel had tried to think out of the box and so teach everyone what happens when you do that condemn everyone in heaven to thousands of years of suffering. When one of my children misbehaves I do not punish them both to show them what happens when one of them is naughty.

The fact you will die is life affirming and encourages us to make the most of every day we are here. What remains of us is how we have moved humanity forwards in whatever little way we can - if only through our children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit