IF THE BIBLE is so darned great---why don't people JUST read IT?

by Terry 108 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I started re-reading the bible a few months back (ESV version) and i'm enjoying it - for the first time. I've downloaded a bible reading schedule online and it has helped. However, I am finding the points that you made to be true. Interpretation doesn't make it true. It is just opinion and man is the WTS opinionated, just like the rest of Christianity. I have no idea what the solution is, but religion and its forced opinion of scriptural interpretation is the cause for so much hate, bloodshed and atrocities.

The deeper you dig, the more bones you find.

• tec
    tec

Leaving - Sorry, I meant to add this scripture:

Matthew 22: 37-40

Jesus replied: "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I'm glad my case is over and done with.

Once saved, always saved? Helluva deal, no pun intended.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Tammy - Jesus' modern fan club gets bent WAY out of shape regarding commandments other than those two. You may have seen examples of what I'm talking about.

• tec
    tec

Leaving - Of course. While I may throw my two cents in (voraciously at times), I don't get bent out of shape over commandments that are lesser than those two.

It too often distracts from the important matters of the law - new or old - (love and mercy) There's no reason why we can't differ in opinions and yet keep those two commands (except for pride and fear getting in the way, I think)

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Back to the title of this thread. "Why don't people just read it."

In view of the comments, here, especially what Jesus said, what's the point in reading it? Just love God and love other people.

• Quentin
    Quentin

I enjoy reading the Bible....especialy the "historical and wisdom books"....the "gospels", Acts and Paul's writings.....have never cared for the so-called prophcy books.....Job is wearsome, loose interest about three chapters in....

As Terry said: don't get me started on translations. Thanks to Terry am well suppled with interesting books that address both sides of the issue. Currently reading: "The King James Only Controversy"; James R. White......"The Jesus Puzzle"; Earl Doherty......"Hebrew Thought Compared with Greek"; Thorleif Boman.....

In answer to the question. I feel that a person MUST read the Bible in it's entirity. This would inculde the books called The Apocrypha. The in between books were included in all Bible translations at one time, even the King James. Interesting comments everyone.......

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When its 4 am in the morning and I am the only one awake and I ask myself what am I doing this for?

I think to myself the scripture in Proverbs 24: 30-34. "A little sleep a little slumber a little folding of the hands

to sleep so your poverty will come as a robber and your want as an armed man.

I've used that scripture for as long as I can remember to stay on the job and do what I dont want to do

So I can pay my bills and take care of my family.

I followed that verse so long that everything I have has turned to gold.

I have to exchange some of my gold, throw it in the street for a loaf of bread.

When I see all the insanity around me when the judge lets a man who uses a gun to rob someone go home

and sends another man to jail for taking a bicycle he finds laying in a ditch, I bite my tounge and think of I john 5:19 "We know we are

children of God but the world lies under the power of the wicked one"

When I live in the midst of evil, corruption , incompetance sometimes the only way I can maintain a touch of

sanity is to reflect on scripture.

I do see the bible is used by both sides good and evil, God and the devil.

the rulers and the peons. Everyone takes something from it and uses it to try and get what they

want, thats life.

• tec
    tec

Leaving - I read because I like to 'see' the example that Jesus gave us. I rarely read the OT anymore (Creation story, cuz' I find it interesting), but even if I do, I can temper what I read (and sometimes don't understand) with that love Jesus taught. But you're right. If you can live by those commands alone, then don't let anything or anyone mess that up for you.

Tammy

• garyneal
    garyneal

Reading the gospels came to the rescue for me last summer when I found myself to be so confused because of Watchtower doctrine.

In view of the comments, here, especially what Jesus said, what's the point in reading it? Just love God and love other people.

That's what the elder at my mother-in-law's congregation basically said when I cornered him over the generation doctrine of their's. He said, "Certainly the generations issue is not the central article of our Christian faith. Rather, our primary doctrine concerns love of God, Jesus and neighbor, as well as understanding God’s purpose in creating humans to live according to his will."

Gee, why did I not think of that???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit