IF THE BIBLE is so darned great---why don't people JUST read IT?

by Terry 108 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

There is no reason to doubt any discussion about the BIBLE will always break down into a discussion of FAITH "in" the Bible rather than the Bible itself.

This is clear: the Bible cannot speak for itself.

It REQUIRES a thousand shouting voices to prop it up.

If you know somebody who is a Hoarder you know they can't stop themselves from bringing objects into their home which pile up until there is no home left---only layers and layers of "things" without context in a normal life.

This is the BIBLE.

Generations of hoarders have brought snippets of stories, myths, oral tales, rumors, exaggerations, historical tidbits, fables, stolen folk tales,

hallucinations, dreams, urban legends and such INTO A COLLECTION (a "home", if you will) between two covers.

It was a COMPULSION to do so.

There was gradually acquired an unshakeable belief that this collection---this hoard---was somehow supernaturally inspired.

FROM THAT POINT THERE WAS NO HOUSECLEANING POSSIBLE!!

We grow up in that house full of the hoarder's collection. It is NORMAL to our eyes because we've never NOT known it as it is.

But---at a certain point in our life we catch a glimpse of a NORMAL life WITHOUT such hoarding of worthless tidbits passed off as essential for life.

At that point-----we either move out of the craziness and begin a life FREE from the obsessive compulsions of the hoarder. Or---we continue as before...completely LOST in a mysterious fog of imagination.....totally devoid of all context......and requiring greater and greater amounts of

energy to maintain the desperate illusion that ......somehow.....it is the MOST IMPORTANT thing in the universe.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I don't believe I stuttered, but I don't mind if you ridicule me.

At what point did I ridicule you?

• startingover
    startingover

Oracle, I really relate to your comments.

It struck me reading this thread that of all the books I have read in my life I can't think of any I felt the need to keep reading over and over again. I read C of C and it changed my life more than anything I have ever read, but I never felt the need to read it over and over again. I grew up with the idea that reading the bible every day was necessary if you wanted to live forever. Seems like lots of people believe variations of that idea besides JW's. Makes no sense to me now.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Hey startingover,

Glad you relate. It's pretty interesting how clear everything becomes when you decide to be completly honest and shed all your preconceived notions.

It's interesting you say that about not re-reading books - even C of C. I had only read snippets and excerpts for a few years before I actually ended up getting it and reading it cover to cover, but that was long after I knew the JW teachings were pretty much crazy so it wasn't really an eye-opener at that point. At any rate, I never felt the need to read it over and over again even though it was one of the best books I ever read too!

The Oracle

• Quentin
    Quentin

"This is clear: the Bible cannot speak for itself........It REQUIRES a thousand shouting voices to prop it up. ( ...Terry )

Those voices have been shouting for decades. The noise created from them brings us no closer to an uderstanding of what the Bible is. Is it inspired? Only in the minds of those that wrote it, or at best, weaved togather what others wrote.

Now, can a person gain ANY spritual knowledge that gives them a leg up on life? YES, one can, that's the paradox. There are nuggets to be gleaned from reading the Bible ( or any other holy writ ). Parts of it can be applied to a persons life and benifit them. Why is that?

For me, it is simple. No holy sprit required, no God inspried utternce needed, and certainly no wooing voice of a prophet or body of men to interpret for YOU. Close out the din of a thousand shouting vocies. Take the book in hand, sit down and read with a clear mind, unclutered by the baggage of other's opinions. Do it time and time again, hopefully you will come to enjoy reading the bible and see it for what it is.

• Terry
    Terry

Stormie Omartian has authored a whole series of Prayer books that are big sellers.

The Power of a Praying Woman.

The Power of a Praying Husband

The power of a Praying Wife

The Power of......you get the idea....

Same book. Different titles.

Prayer is lie.

"Say to this mountain 'move over here'...." does not work and everybody knows it.

The really weird thing is---it doesn't matter. The faithful believer will blame themselves for the failure of their prayers.

They must be doing something wrong.

Maybe Stormie Omartian can set them straight!

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Quentin...

you said: "Close out the din of a thousand shouting vocies. Take the book in hand, sit down and read with a clear mind, unclutered by the baggage of other's opinions. Do it time and time again, hopefully you will come to enjoy reading the bible and see it for what it is."

the bible is the message of good news of forgiveness of sin and redemption in and through Jesus Christ...it is not a "world view" so much as God's committment to you. what does your unbiased or uncluttered mind "digest" after reading john 3:16-20...

love michelle

• Terry
    Terry

God may as well forgive short people for a lack of height as to forgive them for their sin!

God's "superior" standards are merely the difference between His nature and HOW HE MADE HUMANS!

Deliberately creating INFERIOR creatures and then burdening them with infinitely SUPERIOR standards of thought and conduct

is an invitation to disaster.

Had man been created as a PEER there would have been no motive for either Adam or Eve to desire to BE LIKE God knowing Good or Bad!!

Creating a man with one leg shorter than the other and then punishing him for limping makes about as much sense.

God got the exact creature he set out to make: a cowering, pathetic, dependant, dying, confused inferior who would reproduce more of the same and

all crying out pathetically to the empty sky: OH PLEASE---SAVE US!

Munchausen by Proxy syndrome is my diagnosis for Creator God Jehovah.

Not to worry! Clever humans killed him and made up a story about resurrection and salvation for mankind.

Hooray for us.

• Quentin
    Quentin

"... what does your unbiased or uncluttered mind "digest" after reading john 3:16-20..."(myelaine)

Nothing, they are words on a page written for those who already accept Jesus as the savior. I don't much care for the gospel called John. It's "gnostic" overtures give it no relationship to the other three, also I do not need Jesus to bring me closer to God. Jesus is no savior of the world. He did not die for me, he died for himself, that he might be raised above all other creations. That doesn't even jive with Paul's theachings. John is that baggage of another's opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

just n said...

This is awesome - Terry starts a thread about how there are all these books and ideas that explain the various ways the Bible can be interpreted.

[snip]

Two pages in... various believers in the bible DJegg, PSac, JagBass, etc. start arguing about how it's supposed to be interpreted.

Thanks guys - you all continue to prove Terry's point.

Exactly!

The Oracle wrote, after other great insights.......

But as for me and my household, we will chose modern common sense and dignity, over the ancient blatherings of nonsensical primitive morality mixed in with the occasional decent message as found in the bible. We will choose science, and unbiased observation over entrenched unchangeable opinions of religion. We will choose honesty over lies, and will choose understanding over mythology. We choose Moving On, not Looking Back. We choose peace and contentment, not bitterness and anger.

Loved your entire post, and it's households like yours that keep human society moving forward rather than backward. Thank you. Your kids will grow up to make a difference on this planet.

My thoughts.....

Imagine a 21st century "bible", a collection of writings.......

Emails, some genealogical records, Harry Potter, a history book, a legal document, a lifestyle magazine, a Reuters newsfeed, an analysis of Harry Potter comparing it to Lord of the Rings, some more emails, a bit of indulgent poetry, a post-grad thesis on migration, a self-help book, a cnn.com homepage, an autobiography, more emails.

Someone takes it all and declares this collection of ideas, facts and thoughts to be "the Bible".

That's how the Bible is, whether one likes it or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit