IF THE BIBLE is so darned great---why don't people JUST read IT?

by Terry 108 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec

But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

I also work on the Sabbath. (Sunday; the Sabbath is different for different groups) It used to bother me. But I do it because its the only day I can contribute to the financial needs of my family. First, there's love covers over a multitude of sins - but I don't think its a sin. Second, even Jesus said that it IS good to do good on the Sabbath.

The new law is love. That will mean different things to different people; so we are expected to think and question and not just obey. This is what I think, anyway.

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Is the New Testament explicitly clear that that the Ten Commandments are not binding on Christians?

• tec
    tec

Love replaces the law. Not because the law is wrong. But because love would inspire those things anyway. Love is also tempered with mercy, so when those things are broken, then there is mercy and not judgment.

Tammy

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LeavingWT

Sorry I missed this.

For God so loved the world

Who does God love?

Who can say they haven't recieved ANY love from God. The reformers never had a problem with this.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    Is the New Testament explicitly clear that that the Ten Commandments are not binding on Christians?

What did that verse say?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Love replaces the law. Not because the law is wrong. But because love would inspire those things anyway. Love is also tempered with mercy, so when those things are broken, then there is mercy and not judgment.

Does this require inviduals to personally make a judgement call as to which Old Testament laws they can ignore?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LeavingWT

What part of grace do you have a problem with?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    What part of grace do you have a problem with?

Grace sounds like a wonderful concept. It allows me to have a clean conscience, even if I'm not explicitly clear on what God's laws are. In the Heavenly court, I clean plead ignorance and then appeal to grace.

• tec
    tec

I don't think its ignoring, mind you. But yes, I do think it is up to the individual to make a judgment call as to whether or not they are acting by the law of love. I think day to day decision might be harder, but in the long run, its a solid foundation to live by - one that can't be corrupted as simple obedience to a few laws. (or many laws as in the case of the OT)

I think its pretty easy to live by love, if you really DO love, because your actions naturally reflect that love. Not so easy when you're trying to love all, even your enemies, but haven't fully made it there yet. (I think most of us (myself included) are sometimes there - if we believe it - and sometimes in the trying stage)

But as for the Sabbath - Jesus did work on the Sabbath. He did good work; to benefit others, not out of greed or selfishness.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Leaving

In the Heavenly court, I clean plead ignorance and then appeal to grace.

Can YOU?

I'm glad my case is over and done with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit