IF THE BIBLE is so darned great---why don't people JUST read IT?

by Terry 108 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

200BCE to 200CE was an interesting era in Jewish writing with much of the Pseudopigrapha being produced. The Oracles of Sibyl , The Assumption of Moses, The Book of Jubilees etc.. Sybil wrote such an evangelizing retelling of the supernatural history of the Jews that Christian missionaries copied her style for their own use. They interpoloated into the jewish stories passages predicitng the coming of Jesus as the Messiah.

The Book of Jewish Knowledge by Ausubel

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

200BCE to 200CE was an interesting era in Jewish writing with much of the Pseudopigrapha being produced. The Oracles of Sibyl , The Assumption of Moses, The Book of Jubilees etc.. Sybil wrote such an evangelizing retelling of the supernatural history of the Jews that Christian missionaries copied her style for their own use. They interpoloated into the jewish stories passages predicitng the coming of Jesus as the Messiah.

The Book of Jewish Knowledge by Ausubel

Designs, Any proof that these were actual christian teachings?

dc

• designs
    designs

TT, you might want to find and read this comprehensive work. Extensive source material provided.

Crown publishing company.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

designs, could you be more specific? Where would I find this proof that this was actual Christian teachings. Not some teaching that was voted heresy by a council of elders if you please.

dc

• designs
    designs

I would start with researching the Pseudepigrapha, the Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs is a good starting point, then the Book of Enoch. Then tackle the Sybylline Oracles and research the works of scholars commentaries on these Books.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Terry, the Bible had me fooled for 40 years. Now, I can't get past Genesis 1:2 before I'm shaking my head that I ever took any of this stuff literally.

The Bible is a book for those initiated in "mysteries" which is basically metaphysical science. Since the literal language says that God will fry your ass in hell if you look into this stuff, it keeps their secrets far far a way from the gullible goyim.

This is ancient knowledge that is starting to flourish because of the Internet. When a person is ready to wake up, the Golden Calf will disappear and they'll see the Bible for what it is, an unbelievably diabolical deception.

PS

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

People put enormous amount of faith into letting other people make the proper interpretation of the bible, such as the JWS, bestowing

these same individuals with complete spiritual power passed through them from the big cheese Burger in the sky.

They think that the bible and its meaning are too complicated to understand alone so they put all trust and devotion to the FD&S

for a true and honest interpretation. Throw in some proactive fear, mixed with some maligning interpretation to support a huge

publishing house and you have front of you " The Truth "

How many times has the WTS. publishing company stated that reading the bible alone by its self is useless and redundant without the WTS.

literature along as a truthful and understanding interpretor ?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I read my bible several hours a week.

I have read through it systematically cover to cover 7 times 5 different translations.

I work in a jail, mainly midnights.

I see a lot of officers read their bibles regularly, They carry thier bibles around and read them on breaks and whenever they can.

There are bibles all over the jail. Most cells have one, the cell block has probably 100 in the library.

Inmates often ask me to bring them a bible in the middle of the night.

I read all kinds of things. I have a thousand or more books. I read Dawkins to Darwin to the institute to creation reearch, Hemmingway, Kerouac.

I find comfort reading the bible. I find peace and sanity in an insane world.

I enjoy reading your post Terry. I have walked down similar paths and I have been angry at God and the bible in the past.

To the making of books there is no end. I like to read. I choose to work midnights in a jail so I can indulge myself at this point in my life.

I have read a lot of things and have a lot of books discrediting the bible.

I read them they bring me down, When I read the bible it lifts me up. Maybe like Dawkins says I have the God gene.

If so I'm going to service it.

If I read the bible for an hour or two any given day. I try to read 4 different books. I try to read Psalms, proverbs or eclesiastes every day, one other old testament book and one or two new testament books.

The bible works for me and I am in the people business and I see and know a lot of people that it works for. I see them reading it

and I hear them talking about it. I work in a secular jail, I see hundreds of people a week thousands a year the bibles the real deal.

The cell blocks have bible study every week and 80 percent of the inmates go to it, they dont have to, they can watch tv or sit in their

cells.

Having said all that, I have encountered maybe 10% of people like you Terry, several years ago I was like you. It just wasnt working for me.

I'm 58 years old, I've heard all of the pros and cons, i turn a deaf ear to the cons and take the life and spirit out of the bible and fuel

myself with it.

I see a lot of people doing the same thing.

I have been out of the tower since 83, I left when I was 31. My biblical experience is mainly biblical with very little JW contamination.

I never read the bible cover to cover until after I left the Jehovahs witnesses.

There must be something to the bible because it is agitating you and me probably every one who reads your post.

THere are 2 sides to every coin and while I cant answer all of the bible mysteries and questions I have encountered, I find

many reasons people give for not believing the bible can be addressed. And the rest I leave to faith.

Believing in Jesus and the bible is not like being a JW where you deny yourself an education you deny yourself this life hoping

for the pie in the sky life that may never come. Solomon said in Ecclesiastes which the witnesses always discreditied in my time in

the tower, "Eat drink and be merry.

We are all going to die. The story of the bible is when we die we can spend eternity with God or eternity seperated from God.

All the complicated religious ceremonies rules and regulations of the old testament

All the things the critics say are wrong with God and the bible point to the

simplicity of accepting Jesus.

It has to be kept simple, the kingdom is for those that are child like. If you spend your whole life peeling the onion trying to find

the core your not going to have anything when its over.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

jaguar, awesome way to authenticate the bible, what are you? a JW still?

• glenster

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit