Christians, Is it okay for engaged couples to have sex before marriage?

by asilentone 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    having a teen-aged daughter to worry about brings an amazing clarity to this issue!

Okay, I'll be explicit, seeing you brought up the subject of your teenaged daughter.

Say your teenaged daughter has a boyfriend who wants to marry her. He has a job and all his teeth, so you think he's okay.

An extra advantage is that he doesn't wish to make love to her before the wedding. You don't see that as a problem.... in fact you think WOW, he doesn't want to have sex with my daughter, woooo hoo!

You attend the wedding.

Two months later your daughter calls you with some news. Which of the following would make you happiest?

A. Your daughter's new husband is not able to achieve an erection and the marriage hasn't been consumated.

B. Your daughter finds her new husband's body totally repulsive and cannot spend another night under the same covers as him.

C. Your daughter's new husband ejaculates within 30 seconds of seeing her in a nightgown.

D. Your daughter's new husband requests that she gives him oral sex but he refuses to reciprocate.

E. Your daughter's new husband has extremely bad breath and she cannot tolerate the thought of him on top of her for another night.

F. Other, please fill in __________________________________

• loosie
    loosie

Well Lot and his daughters weren't married.. and they had sex. So I guess we are all good.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    A person with whom you want to spend your entire life is not a thing, a car, an object to be purchased.

Exactly. Most people keep their cars for less than 10 years, but still take it for a test drive. A lifelong committment is far more serious, therefore the pre-marital scrutiny should be much, much more thorough. Granted, sex isn't everything in a marriage, but anyone denying its importance is deluding themselves.

While the Catholic Church forbids pre-marital sex, it's followers pay little attention to this prohibition. I was a Catholic for the first 25 years of my life, and my entire family are practicing Catholics. I have never met a Catholic that was a virgin when they got married.

W

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When the sex is good it's 10% of the marriage, when it's bad it's 90%. May be true or no but yeah I had sex with my husband before we got married, lived with him almost a year before we said our vows. The sex was good (still is), we got along great (fit together like a glove), and considered each other to best friends on top of being lovers (still are best friends and lovers ). We've been together almost 18 years and this year is our 17th wedding anniversary. If I had it to do over I would do it the same way.

No shame in my game.

• QuestForThruth
    QuestForThruth

In the bible the marriage "ceremony"(wedding) does not exist!

the term marriage is "to be with the same person for the rest of you`re life."(Yeah divorce exist in some circumstance)

To be simplist...You have Sex=You are married!wedding or not

• Scully
    Scully

asilentone,

I don't care what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom, whether they are married, divorced, widowed, engaged, dating, friends-with-benefits, or anything else. It's none of my business.

I'm atheist, not a Christian, but I don't see why it's anyone else's business either, including yours.

• Scully
    Scully

Say your teenaged daughter has a boyfriend who wants to marry her. He has a job and all his teeth, so you think he's okay.

An extra advantage is that he doesn't wish to make love to her before the wedding. You don't see that as a problem.... in fact you think WOW, he doesn't want to have sex with my daughter, woooo hoo!

You attend the wedding.

Two months later your daughter calls you with some news. Which of the following would make you happiest?

A. Your daughter's new husband is not able to achieve an erection and the marriage hasn't been consumated.

B. Your daughter finds her new husband's body totally repulsive and cannot spend another night under the same covers as him.

C. Your daughter's new husband ejaculates within 30 seconds of seeing her in a nightgown.

D. Your daughter's new husband requests that she gives him oral sex but he refuses to reciprocate.

E. Your daughter's new husband has extremely bad breath and she cannot tolerate the thought of him on top of her for another night.

F. Other, please fill in __________________________________

F. Your daughter's new husband confesses that he is actually attracted to men, but his Christian upbringing requires him to be heterosexual.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Good one Scully, but I think that's A.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Which of the following would make you happiest?

Not a single one, and that's exactly my point! These propositions are based on treating a person as a thing used to further self-gratification, not a partner taken "for better or worse". A successful relationship is based on respect, understanding and love. The physical pleasures enhance the relationship, they complement a strong basis in love; they are not a substitute for it. What happens after a baby comes and nobody can get enough rest? What happens when your or your partner's health fails? What happens if there's a layoff at work, leading to stress and tough financial times? What happens when curves sag and muscles turn to flab? When hair turns grey, or falls out? When your teeth are soaked in a cup overnight?

Would you prefer that seven years later you get the call saying "He says I'm TOO FAT and that I'm TOO BORING and I think we're NOT IN LOVE ANYMORE"?

We all grow older, we won't be young newlyweds forever. That's why we need to value what a person is inside, not what shows and happens on the outside. Ask the Beatles.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Which of the following would make you happiest?

Even though all of it would be TMI for me, none of the above.

What happens when your or your partner's health fails?

Going through that now, I keep in my mind my vows where I promised "for better or worst and to have and to hold" my husband. I love my husband too much to leave him just because he got sick and we lost our house. Our marriage means more than that...and the sex is still great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit