TRINITY Challenge for JW's, Unitarians and Anyone Else

by UnDisfellowshipped 457 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Podobear
    Podobear

@peacedog: Why are you unable to spell out what you mean... how do you know that my own view on the Deity of Christ is different from your own. Clearly, you agreed that Jehovah and Jesus Incarnate are the Lords referred to in Psalm 110:1. Thank you again, now I asked you to clarify who the Father and God of Jesus in Revelation 2:7-12 is... now that he is not Jesus incarnate but the Immortal, Resurrected and Glorified Jesus.

Why is that such a difficult question to answer. To me it is obvious. Jesus (exalted) still has a God and Father... Jehovah. Disprove it, if you don't want to explain it. Why the fuss over the obvious?

Best wishes, Podo

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

Objection #1: You didn’t like the inclusion of the word "other" in my "commentary on these two verses.

Objection #2: You didn’t like the fact that the NWT inserts [and] renders these verses "which one" and not just "which," frowning upon the word "one."

Objection #3: You decided [for some reason] that we should be debating the word "ever" used in these verses[--].

@peacedog wrote:

1) I said nothing about liking or disliking, actually. I simply pointed out that your inclusion of the word "other" changed the meaning of the verse, as you admitted:

me: "As I laid out in a previous post, the verse without your commentary excludes ANY angel; the verse with your commentary INCLUDES an angel."

eggnog: "This is true."

Is it common practice for you to include words in your commentary that change the meaning of the text?

Yes, if by my inclusion of such words the meaning of the text under consideration would be enhanced, such as when I "commented" earlier in this thread about the NWT's rendering of Luke 24:37 in commenting on how the word "unclean" wasn't inserted, the word "spirit" that Luke uses in the verse means "demon," so that I would write "unclean spirit" in order to help others understand the entire passage Luke 24:36-43. Luke knew exactly what he meant by "spirit," but most people that read this passage would not appreciate that Jesus is reminding these men that demons no longer have the ability to materialize in flesh and blood bodies, whereas they were beholding what clearly appeared to them to be a human body, and as Jesus was pointing out the obvious to his disciples, he exhibited his hands and feet to them as proof that he wasn't a demon.

Some people reading this passage at Luke 24:36-43 would misunderstand Jesus to have been saying that he wasn't a "spirit," and would wrongly conclude that Jesus had been resurrected in the same body in which he had died that had become "spiritualized" or some such nonsense that someone might imagine Jesus to have meant, especially when they should read the subsequent account that begins at John 20:26, not the one that begins at John 20:19-25, when Jesus made an appearance to his disciples and Thomas wasn't present, which is the parallel account at Luke 24:36-43, but the account at John 20:26-29 relates that appearance that Jesus made especially to Thomas some eight days after Jesus' previous appearance.

It was at this time Jesus had materialized in a body and invited Thomas to examine where there were indications of wounds in both of his hands and where Jesus had been pierced in the side of his torso although we do not know that Thomas did more than see those wounds for the scripture is silent on whether Thomas actually put his finger in these wounds as Jesus had directed Thomas to do at John 20:27. Thomas' exclamation "My Lord and my God" at John 20:28 indicates that Thomas had then become persuaded that Jesus had been resurrected as an immortal God, for Jesus was the first man to become a God, further giving Thomas hope that he, too, would eventually become like Jesus, an immortal God. Not many folks reading this passage comprehend what it was that so thrilled Thomas.

My hope is that after you have read my response here, you, too, will "yet believe." (John 20:29)

Another point I would make here is why do you think Jesus would have gone through all of the suffering he endured as a man here on earth, even to the point of reproaching God's name by his being classed among ungodly men as an evildoer, a seditionist, only to then remove from the altar of God's will the very sacrifice that God Himself had gone to such lengths to provide in transferring Jesus' life to the womb of a human mother so that he could 33-1/2 years later leave this body on the altar as a sacrifice to purchase by ransom mankind to cancel its debt to God by taking that human body back? The uninitiated Bible student would simply not be in a position to comprehend Luke 24:36-43 without their being told that the word "spirit" used in this passage is a synonym for the word "demon."

2) Again, I said nothing about liking or disliking. I simply pointed out that you were building an argument around a word that isn't in the Greek. You then went on to defend your use of a word that doesn't exist in the original bible verse.

It is common practice for you to build an exegetical argument based on words that don't appear in the original verse?

I did not do what you accusing me here of doing. I made no such defense. I merely pointed out to you what in the English language the word "which" carries with it the implication of choosing something and I find nothing wrong with the NWT's insertion of the word "one" at Hebrews 1:5 and at Hebrews 1:13, just as, if I might add here, you would find at Luke 22:24 and at Acts 7:52, the words "which one" are used in the NWT instead of"which," and at Luke 22:27 and at Acts 1:24, the words "which one" are used in the NWT instead of "whether." I suppose you might object to Bible verses being rendered so that they are grammatically correct (e.g., at Luke 20:33, we found in the NWT the words "of which one of them" and not "whose wife of them"), but the verse isn't being changed, but you cannot believe that the of CEV's rendering Hebrews 1:15 and Hebrews 1:13, "God never said to any of the angels" to be consistent with the Greek text, for these words not only change the Greek text, but interprets it!

It appears that your preference is for the nwt OVER the Greek... Is this so?

No, I have a preference for the NWT's rendering of the Greek text over the CEV's rendering of the Greek text.

3) "For some reason"...? Is it unusual that I should ask about a word that appears in the original verse that you chose to ignore in your commentary?

Is it common practice for you to overlook words in the original bible text that affect the meaning of the verse?

I have no idea what you are asking me here.

Now, I realize your (feigned) concern over discussing verses from any translation other than the nwt, so allow me to rephrase my question:

5For example, to which one of the angels did he ever say: "You are my son; I, today, I have become your father"? And again: "I myself shall become his father, and he himself will become my son"?

13But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said: "Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet"?

In keeping with your goal of discussing the Trinity using the nwt, please explain the meaning of the word "ever" in the above statements. Please explain how the word "ever" fits with (and supports) your interpretation of these verses. Perhaps you might even explain why the bible writer chose to include the word, when you yourself have omitted it when "explaining" the meaning of these verses.

I will not allow you to change your argument. We were discussing the inclusion of the word "one" in rendering Hebrews 1:5 and Hebrews 1:13 as "which one," and we were never discussing the word "ever," which is not relevant, but which you persist in doing for whatever reason.

@djeggnog wrote:

Absolutely no one -- not you, not anyone -- is going to be saved by their putting faith in the Trinity doctrine. Even if one should believe in the Trinity -- like you, like so many others -- what would one say to someone that should ask why it is that Jesus didn't seem to think it important to tell any of the apostles -- at the latest when holy spirit was poured out upon them and others on that Pentecost day in 33 AD -- that he was really the true God, one "Person" of ... three "Persons" of a Trinity?

@peacedog wrote:

So... much.... nonsense.

This is not "nonsense" at all. Instead of running away from my question, answer the question. Why was the very notion of Jesus being a Trinity kept secret from Jesus' apostles until the fourth century AD, long after all of Jesus' apostles had died? Why did the holy spirit that had been poured out upon them at Pentecost failed to teach them that Jesus was a Person of God, a part of a Trinity? Can you even begin to answer this question or not?

What I wonder is.... Even if one should believe that Jesus is Michael the archangel -- like you, like so few others -- what would one say to someone that should ask why it is that Jesus didn't seem to think it important to tell any of the apostles -- at the latest when Thomas called Jesus "THE GOD OF ME" on that day prior to the ascension -- that he was WAS NOT THE GOD of anyone, but was actually just an angel?

Your question seems convoluted to me, but I'll answer it nonetheless: Jesus didn't have to tell Thomas anything. Thomas was one of Jesus' 12 apostles and he, as had the other 10 faithful apostles, had been taught that Jesus would die and would be resurrected as an immortal God, and so on the occasion when Thomas exclaimed in the hearing of the Lord "My Lord and my God!" Jesus had no need to correct Thomas for Jesus knew that Thomas knew that Jesus' father was the true God and understood that it had finally dawned on Thomas that Jesus had, in fact, been resurrected to immortal life and Thomas also realized at that moment that he, too, would become an immortal God.

Thomas already knew that Jesus had had a prehuman existence as an angel in heaven before being sent by God to die as a ransom to release all mankind from condemnation to sin and death they had inherited from Adam. My question is, Why don't you know this?

@djeggnog

• Podobear
    Podobear

@djeggnog: Perhaps you can explain to peacedog that the exclamation by Thomas is written in the NOMINATIVE case and no the Vocative. Thomas was not declaring that the risen Jesus was Almighty God at all. Yet again peacedog, please clarify the words of the dead, but not yet ascended Jesus to Mary in John 20:17.. "I am returning my Father and Your Father, to my God and Your God."

Here we have the witnesses of three texts showing Jesus Incarnate as speaking to his Lord, his God, his Father... the dead, resurrected but not ascended Jesus.. speaking of his God and Father.. and finally the exalted, Immortal Jesus referring to his God and Father.

Your full explanation of John 20:28; (Psalm 110:1) partly answered; Revelation 3:7-12,please. I look forward to your explanation and would ask djeggnog if he could explain why the Nominative and not the Vocative is used in recording Thomas' exclamation. It really is quite important to get the real sense of the original language here. No demeaning language please peacedog.. it is so unnecessary. Thank you.

Podo

• Chalam
    Chalam

Think About It Jehovah, Jesus..........could someone please tell me the "name" of the Holy Ghost?

Matthew 28:19 (New International Version)

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Blessings,

Stephen

• Think About It
    Think About It

Think About It
    Jehovah, Jesus..........could someone please tell me the "name" of the Holy Ghost?

Matthew 28:19 (New International Version)

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Oh Stephen...................I was hoping to hear at least somewhere out there in Trinity land they finally gave the Holy Ghost a name.

Think About It

• peacedog
    peacedog

Think About It:

C'mon.......you're kidding, right?

I seems to me that if one were of the opinion that the Holy Ghost is God, and the name of God is YHWH, then, by extension, the name (or, at least, one name) for the the Holy Ghost would be YHWH.

So, yeah. I'll go with that. That, or Led Zeppelin. :)

Podo:

Podo, podo, podo. Please read through my post s-l-o-w-l-y....

Why are you unable to spell out what you mean...

Podo, I asked you to tell me specifically what you would like me to speak to with regard to the 6 verses you cited. Your response was that I give you "a comment on the Scripture". Which I did. Now it appears that was not what you wanted after all...

How can I 'spell out what I mean' if you won't clarify what you want me to speak to?

how do you know that my own view on the Deity of Christ is different from your own.

How do I "know"? Podo, if you re-read my previous post, you will find that I said I "doubt" our views are the same. Do you understand the difference between "doubting" something and "knowing" something? Again, I feel compelled to ask whether you have some problem with reading comprehension...

clarify who the Father and God of Jesus in Revelation 2:7-12 is

That would be God the Father.

Why is that such a difficult question to answer. To me it is obvious. Jesus (exalted) still has a God and Father...

Who said it was difficult? Besides you, I mean? It's patently obvious that "the Son" has a Father, and that as "the Son", he is subservient to "the Father". If not this, then what do the titles "Father" and "Son" imply to you?

Nothing here speaks to the *nature* of Jesus. That is the issue, podo. What is the nature of Jesus? (A question I asked you several posts ago, which you still have not answered...)

Why the fuss over the obvious?

Honestly, podo, you are the only one I see fussing here...

@djeggnog: Perhaps you can explain to peacedog that the exclamation by Thomas is written in the NOMINATIVE case and no the Vocative.

@peacedog: Perhaps you can explain to podo that what Thomas said was not an "exclamation" at all. Ok, I will. You see Podo, we know that Thomas was not making an "exclamation" for the simple reason that Thomas directed his words to Jesus. An exclamation, as we know, is an abrupt outburst of feeling directed to no one in particular. An examination of the Greek at John 20:28 reveals that in no uncertain terms Thomas said his words "to Jesus":

"Thomas answered [Jesus] and said *to Him*, "My Lord and my God !" (Literal Greek: "the Lord of me and the God of me")

Oh, btw, in the next verse, Jesus commends Thomas for his belief...

"no demeaning language...it is so unnecessary."

Now this is just funny. Aren't you the one who called me a "weasel"? In fact, podo, you're the only one here whose language I would consider "demeaning". Unless bane posted on this thread...

djeggnog:

I will not allow you to change your argument. We were discussing the inclusion of the word "one" in rendering Hebrews 1:5 and Hebrews 1:13 as "which one," and we were never discussing the word "ever," which is not relevant, but which you persist in doing for whatever reason.

You will not allow me to change my argument, huh? That's funny... kinda weird, too... but still funny.

Let's try this:

I have nothing more to say regarding the inclusion of the word "one" in the nwt. My point is that the word is not present in the Greek, and that point has now been made (ad nauseam...).

Please share any concluding remarks you may have regarding the insertion of the word "one" into the nwt so that we may move forward.

After sharing your concluding remarks regarding the inclusion of the word "one", please answer the following question so that we might move forward in our discussion of the Trinity and the nwt:

5For example, to which one of the angels did he ever say: "You are my son; I, today, I have become your father"? And again: "I myself shall become his father, and he himself will become my son"?

13But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said: "Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet"?

Please explain how the word "ever" fits with (and supports) your interpretation of these verses. Perhaps you might even explain why the bible writer chose to include the word, when you yourself have omitted it when "explaining" the meaning of these verses. Thank you kindly.

Peace.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    I seems to me that if one were of the opinion that the Holy Ghost is God, and the name of God is YHWH, then, by extension, the name (or, at least, one name) for the the Holy Ghost would be YHWH.

Weak. The Bible gives the "name" of the Father as Jehovah and of the Son as Jesus........Trinitarians could have at least come up with a "name" for the Holy Ghost, unless their is no need for a name for a 3rd person of a Trinity Godhead since the holy spirit is not such.

Think About It

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Podobear:

@djeggnog: Perhaps you can explain to peacedog that the exclamation by Thomas is written in the NOMINATIVE case and no the Vocative. Thomas was not declaring that the risen Jesus was Almighty God at all.... I ... would ask djeggnog if he could explain why the Nominative and not the Vocative is used in recording Thomas' exclamation. It really is quite important to get the real sense of the original language here.

I believe that before I ever came on the scene here -- Hey @peacedog, did you notice my using the word "ever"? <g> -- @TD has been one of the resident experts on the Greek language and/or Greek grammar, so I would defer to him for most of your Greek language-questions (except where @TD should disagree with anything I might say here in this post, in which case, it wouldn't be wise in that case for me to defer to him at all!), but here's the skinny on Thomas' words at John 20:28. Thomas says to Jesus:

Ho kýrios mou kai ho theós mou [meaning "My Lord and my God"]

Note that in his writing the word "God," the apostle John uses it in a vocative sense, which is what you said, @Podobear, and Thomas' use of the possessive here (mou would be literally translated as "of me") requires the use of the definite article (ho meaning "the") before the noun (theós meaning "God"). Perhaps the fact that God is not anarthrous is due to Semitic idiom, but I'm not the go-to guy here for Greek. To be honest, I only know enough about the Greek language to be dangerous.

It is usually the case though that you would find the definite article before a noun in the vocative case, such as when you read the passage at Colossians 3:18-22, which literally reads:

[The] wives, be in subjection to [the] husbands, as it is becoming in [the] Lord. [The] husbands, keep on loving [the] wives and do not be bitterly angry with them. [The] children, be obedient to [the] parents in everything, for this is well-pleasing in the Lord. [The] fathers, do not be exasperating [the] children, so that they do not become downhearted. [The] slaves, be obedient in everything to those who are [the] masters in a fleshly sense, not with acts of eye-service, as men pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, with fear of Jehovah. (I'll let @TD proofread this paragraph in the event I became a bit overzealous here in making my point.)

The definite article "the" (masculine gender) is written differently in the Greek language depending upon the case (singular number):

? (nominative)

τ ο υ ~ (genitive)

τ ? (dative)

τ ο ` ν (accusative)

However, the vocative case that the apostle John uses in recording Thomas' exclamation at John 20:28 would take the nominative article ( ? ). In translating John 1:1, the Greek word theos (meaning "god") appears twice, and in the first instance, we know it is anarthrous due to the article "the" that appears before the noun in the accusative case ( τ ο ` ν θ ε ο ` ν [theon]), but, in the second instance, theos (a) is not anarthrous due to the absence of the article "the" before the noun "god" in the nominative case ( θ ε ο ` ς [theos]) and (b) is spelled differently in this second instance than it is spelled in the first instance.

At 2 Corinthians 4:4, the noun "god" is in the nominative case in referring to Satan, but at 2 Corinthians 4:6, the noun "god" is also used in the nominative case there in referring to Jehovah, so you should not let the way in which "god" may be written in the Greek has no bearing whatsoever on how the word should be translated into English. You should not concern yourself with the fact that these two Greek words -- θ ε ο ` ν and θ ε ο ` ς -- look different, for they both mean exactly the same thing, but the point I would make is that in Greek language, the word rendered "god" is spelled according to the case of the noun.

@djeggnog

• peacedog
    peacedog
    Trinitarians could have at least come up with a "name" for the Holy Ghost

I'm curious. Do you also criticize the apostles for not "coming up with a name for the Holy Ghost"? How about for not using the word "Jehovah"? Do you criticize them for that?

Or is it just modern day Christians you have a problem with?

(PS - Which verse are you thinking of that gives "the "name" of the Father as Jehovah"? )

• Think About It
    Think About It
    Which verse are you thinking of that gives "the "name" of the Father as Jehovah"? )

Playing dumb to drawn attention away from the fact that the Holy Ghost doesn't have a name? Jesus was a Jew.......you known the name of his Father and God.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit