Is The Watchtower Organization A Cult To You?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Are they a cult?

Most definitely. Without a doubt in my mind

• wiser
    wiser

False religion.

• Darth plaugeis
  • Sapphy
    Sapphy

I think it's an authoritarian high control group, which I suppose is longhand for a cult. It would be so easy for them to go mainstream though, if they just got rid of disfellowshipping and the blood policy, - and actually meant it whenthey say somthing is a conscience matter...

• ziddina
    ziddina

"The WTB&TS has claimed that it is not a cult because it does not follow one man..."

Ah, hah, yes, I wondered about that one too, Nathan Natas. Immediately after exiting - I DA'd - I went to a family therapist. Upon her advice, I read every book about cults that I could get my hands on...

The JWs fit EVERY characteristic, except for the "solitary charismatic leader" stuff. But then, as I learned more about the early days of the Watchtower Society, I learned that it was started by a charismatic Charles Taze Russell, then headed by a forceful, pompous, arrogant "Judge" Rutherford, then headed by Nathan Knorr, who was also a 'solitary' leader, despite the Watchtower 'blather' about a "Governing Body" supposedly in existence throughout the existence of the Society but in fact only brought into existence in the mid-70's...

So, for a significant portion of its history, the Watchtower Society HAS been led by a single, charismatic leader...

Which means they fulfill ALL the conditions of a cult...

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Yup. And a few years ago, even when I no longer believed in the doctrine, I still would have been the first to defend them against the "cult" label. But now...yes, they're a cult.

I also believe that all religions do have cultish aspects, and that sometimes the difference between "religion" and "cult" comes down to sheer size. But then, I also remember reading something like, "it all distills down to this: the main way you can tell if you're in a cult is by answering the question, how easy it is to leave?" Do I believe that the Catholic church, for instance, has a lot of cultish-ness to it? Yup. But then again, if you decide you're no longer a Catholic, nobody's going to tell your family and friends that they can never speak to you again.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yes, I agree with Flipper. They are a dangerous and very damaging mind-control cult.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"I've posted this before, but as you read through the list pause and reflect onto the WTS/JWS

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader."

These conclusions can be reached if you cut Jehovah out of the picture. There's definitely a disconnect between God and society.

• Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

Accountability to God is one of the most important principles taught by Jehovah's Witnesses. From what I've observed it's opposers that confuse loyalty to institutional churches with loyalty to God.

For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and [their] marrow, and [is] able to discern thoughts and intentions of [the] heart. And there is not a creation that is not manifest to his sight, but all things are naked and openly exposed to the eyes of him with whom we have an accounting. Hebrews 4:12-13

• No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

Jehovah's Witnesses examine all aspects of their personalty and the world around them and openly accept the reasonable inquiry of others.

But a physical man does not receive the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know [them], because they are examined spiritually. However, the spiritual man examines indeed all things, but he himself is not examined by any man. For “who has come to know the mind of Jehovah, that he may instruct him?” But we do have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:14-16

• No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

Have you talked to Joel Osteen and others about this? It is he and many others that are pushing the prosperity gospel. Nobody that volunteers their time and effort at Bethel headquarters uses any of the money that goes into the organization for luxury items including the governing body, unlike any other organized religion and their leaders. I couldn't find any financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses or any independently audited financial statements, but there's a donation option here:

http://www.joelosteen.com/

Unlike anything you'll find here:

http://www.watchtower.org/

• Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

Fear about an impending catastrophe isn't unreasonable in this system. As for the rest you would have to be more specific.

• There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

If you can care less about God and find his commandments burdensome, there's legitimate reason to leave. It's not a positive decision and at the same time it isn't necessarily evil.

For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

• Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

It hasn't been my experience that the local body of elders ever ransacked my house and hung me out to dry. It seems my experiences are different than the persecution complex exhibited by select former members.

• There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

I think what you meant to say is there are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses directed at the group/leader.

In fact, to this [course] you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely. He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth. When he was being reviled, he did not go reviling in return. When he was suffering, he did not go threatening, but kept on committing himself to the one who judges righteously. 1 Peter 2:21-23

For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but [there is] a certain fearful expectation of judgment and [there is] a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition. Any man that has disregarded the law of Moses dies without compassion, upon the testimony of two or three. Of how much more severe a punishment, do you think, will the man be counted worthy who has trampled upon the Son of God and who has esteemed as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and who has outraged the spirit of undeserved kindness with contempt? For we know him that said: “Vengeance is mine; I will recompense”; and again: “Jehovah will judge his people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of [the] living God. Hebrews 10:26-31

• Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

Not true amongst subjects of God:

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and it is as a free gift that they are being declared righteous by his undeserved kindness through the release by the ransom [paid] by Christ Jesus. Romans 3:23-24

• The group/leader is always right.

This is true. Now to the King of eternity, incorruptible, invisible, [the] only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 1 Timothy 1:17

• The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

This is true. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing truth.

And so Jesus went on to say to the Jews that had believed him: “If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Minimus, in my opinion, JWs, the WTB&TS are a danferous, high-mind-control cult.

To have been raised as a 3rd generation JW and not grasped the insiduous danger of being in a cult until reaching 51 years of age is something that I'm extremely ashamed of. If anything, the cult-like characteristics displayed by the members become more pronounced every day. I'm just so glad that I'm no longer held in their clutches - just my wife to help break free, now!

lifelong humanist

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"Minimus, in my opinion, JWs, the WTB&TS are a danferous, high-mind-control cult.

To have been raised as a 3rd generation JW and not grasped the insiduous danger of being in a cult until reaching 51 years of age is something that I'm extremely ashamed of. If anything, the cult-like characteristics displayed by the members become more pronounced every day. I'm just so glad that I'm no longer held in their clutches - just my wife to help break free, now!

lifelong humanist"

By acknowledging you're a humanist, what religion can you honestly say isn't a dangerous, high-mind-control cult?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit