Is The Watchtower Organization A Cult To You?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

Yep,

when they stepped into private bedrooms it screemed "CULT"

from what i heard most cults get into your beds without your

permission.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

At this point for me it is a tough call. I see cult-like characteristics, mind control techniques, but isn't this true of all religions? Couldn't you classify the first century Christians as cult-like?

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

can't say much about the 1st century dudes...... never met them.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

yes - first century christians as described in bible books would be cult-like, but probably not belonging to a full blow cult. They seemed much more foot loose and fancy free.

The Oracle

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, I believe they are a cult.

The WTB&TS has claimed that it is not a cult because it does not follow one man.

I contend that JWs follow a "group entity" called the "faithful and discreet slave" or "the governing body."

Proof that they are a cult lies in the fact that independent thinking is discouraged, dissent is not permitted (and dissenters are removed from the congregation and shunned by all, even their own families), and the "bible-basedâ„¢" conscience of the entire JW community turns on a dime when the WTB&TS published "new light." Another term for this would be "group think."

I challenge anyone to show how any group with these characteristics is NOT a cult.

• teel
    teel
    did I miss any????

...what to eat, what medical procedures to accept, what entertainment forms to use, what level of education to have, what sort of workplace to choose...

and the list goes on.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I've posted this before, but as you read through the list pause and reflect onto the WTS/JWS

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.
    1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader.
    1. Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

2. Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.

3. Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

4. Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.

5. Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

6. Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

7. A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.

8. Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.

9. Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.

10. Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.
  • sabastious
    sabastious

NO! They are GOD'S CHOSEN ORGANIZATION!

I know it cause they told me...

-Sab

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

'Fraid so...

Loz x

• flipper
    flipper

They are definitely a dangerous mind control cult. They are more subtle than the Scientologists, or perhaps the Mormon's - however just as dangerous, if not more so BECAUSE of the subtelty and insidious sneakiness. As Steve Hassan says, they " take the locus of control out of the individual members hands. " Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit