Is The Watchtower Organization A Cult To You?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I used to call them "cult like" but I do believe they are a "cult".

What's your opinion?

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

Yes, they're a cult. Before I knew we were in a cult, I thought certain things about us seemed cultish.

Then after reading the books Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism, Combatting Cult Mind Control, Releasing the Bonds, Churches That Abuse, Twisted Scriptures, various cult information related websites, learning about other cults like Scientology, Mormons, World Wide Church of God, Exclusive Brethren, etc, then applying that information to the Watch Tower's publications and meetings, I know its a cult.

Its like they've researched cults themselves and copied the tactics and things to say verbatim.

Oh, and then there's the brain dead zombie JW cultists I deal with at every meeting who's craziness is just screaming "I'm a cult member and I'm coo coo for cocoa puffs"

• Think About It
    Think About It

I've done a complete 180 degree change.............I use to defend them against cult acusations, but knowing what I know now do believe it is a cult.

Think About It

• changeling
    changeling

If it walks like a duck... you get the picture :)

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Whilst a true believer I did realise some things felt odd or not quite right to me, but I still gave it the benefit of the doubt and soldiered on.

It's only after enough exposure to more information on our history and beliefs such as this site and others gives and recommendations for further reading such as CCMC etc (that we would NEVER have bought and read otherwise!) that Im equipped with the tools to see it for what it is, ... Just another manmade cult claiming to be the one true channel to God. (sigh)

Cheers

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Yeah, I went through that stage for a long time even after I had my awakening... I would refer to them as cult-like, but resisted the notion that they were a cult. I would even make a defense on their behalf when I heard others refer to them as a cult. But alas, I have grown since then. Eyes are now wide open.

They are very much so a cult. Most religions are cult-like, but not all our cults. The JWs are most assuredly a cult according to the way I view a cult.

Too much control - and too much suppression of individual thought - with the most severest punishment for non-conformity. That my friends is more than cult-like - that my friends is a cult.

Cheers,

The Oracle

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Yes, Steven Hassan, America's leading cult counselor has proven it in his book, "Releasing The Bonds."

• ambersun
    ambersun

If it walks like a duck... you get the picture

Sure do, changeling

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Same here even after a few years from leaving anytime someone mentioned it was a cult I would defend NO WAY!!

Now....... of course. Anytime you are told,what to wear,what to say,who to hang with, what to think, what you can listen to, what you can watch,what you can read, what to look like, how to have sex,

did I miss any????

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

It's how you can't have sex, not how you can ... Damn poxy cult!

Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit