Aren't You Embarrassed That YOU Ever Believed Any Of The Watchtower Bullsh*t?

by minimus 68 Replies latest jw friends

• BoomTown
    BoomTown

not embarrased. ashamed.

• loosie
    loosie

I was born in so I seriously thought that god was going to kill me if I wasn't a jw.

But I was 34 before my light finally came on... And yes I was embarrassed. I now work at a different place than I did when I was a jw. so now I don't have to tell my coworkers that I was a jw. That feels good.

• Justitia Themis
  • moshe
    moshe

I would have been more upset, if my non-JW family really knew how bad the WT religion was- they just thought it was a little weird and over-the-top.

I did my mea culpa, took my lumps and started a new life. No one has ever made me feel bad for the 16 year wrong detour I made- at least I wasn't in prison.

• Damocles
    Damocles

No and Yes.

I got involved around 1970. It was a crazy time and hard to explain to those not there as a teenager or young adult. Everything seemed to be falling apart. Dubs had an internally consistent story, didnt believe in war, and the people I joined up with were a classy intelligent group. So I'm not so embarrassed I got involved. (BTW most of classy intelligent group quit or were kicked out)

I am embarrassed I stayed so long and subjected my children to it. But I gave up a lot to join and well just couldn't bear to admit I was wrong. Too much pride. 'The org might be wrong but the teachings were correct' wow what logic! Anyway, I stayed way way too long. I am embarrassed by that.

On the other hand, I did leave. I did endure all the overt and implied threats that came to pass from the dubs and lost a lot - family friends, etc. It was worth every pain and all the loss. I am very proud I did in fact 'take my medicine' and leave that nasty, ugly place. It felt great as soon as I left and feels even better 10 years later.

Damocles

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

If you really are embarrassed or ashamed of your prior association with Jehovah's Witnesses I'm not at all surprised. My parents made me go out in service in Jr. High School. My father knocks on a door and guess who answers? Someone from school. Embarrassing...yes, but after a while you have to grow up. Self-esteem often has everything to do with a person's character and thinking, not reality.

w59 8/15 p. 503 par. 14 Fear Jehovah—Never Men

Today Jehovah’s witnesses are as unpopular as Jesus was. He said it would be so. “You will be hated by all people on account of my name.” “If the world hates you, you know that it has hated me before it hated you.” (Matt. 10:22; John 15:18) Do you want to make the same mistake as Peter did? Are you also ashamed of these followers of Christ just because they are not liked in this world, but hated and spoken against? If yes, please learn from Peter. What did he do? “He went outside and wept bitterly.” (Matt. 26:75) He had good reason for doing so, and the same is true of persons acting today as he did 1900 years ago. But Peter did more than weep. He admitted his weakness and mistake, he did not try to find excuses for his compromising. He changed his attitude, and the Bible record tells us that he became one of the most fearless ministers of the unpopular condemned Jesus Christ; yes, he even died as a martyr. He died with a good name, not with men, but with Jehovah God.

• flipper
    flipper

I'm not really embarrassed because I came to understand I was a victim of being under the influence of " cult mind control" by a deceiving bunch of old farts who thought they were God Jehovah's right hand ! LOL ! My parents came under the mind control 8 years before I was a twinkle in my daddy's eyes for Christ's sakes. I had no choice on whether I was born into a JW family.

I was manipulated by fear and guilt to STAY a witness - in spite of having doubts since 1989. Finally exited in 2003 when I acquired the courage to leave- at last. It hurt more to keep staying in it- than to leave. I've overcome any guilt I had a long time ago. We are all recovered or recovering victims of cult mind control. My message to everyone : Learn to forgive yourself , it wasn't your fault or mine- we were all lied to and duped

• chickpea
    chickpea
    I am embarrassed I stayed so long and subjected my children to it.

oh man, damocles! that one still stings!!
    just today my son told the woman he
    babysat for last night that i made him
    throw away his "pokeman" cards and
    other junk because they were SATANIC!!!!

what a DUPE! what a DOPE!
    my babies, forgive me, for i
    knew not what a crock of
    shite it all was!!!!

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Neither embarrassed or ashamed. I was raised in it and did not have a choice in the matter.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Absolutely humiliated. Totally embarrassed. There was nothing I could do about it (born-in) but when people find out that you were a JW for 25 years, they look at you funny. With good reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit