Australian brothers VERY negative comments regarding new "generations" ... some leaving Bethel..will this blow up in the Watchtowers face?

by Witness 007 126 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover
    The 'noo light' on "this generation" has yielded reactions from one extreme to the other. For some, it will be the proverbial last straw and they'll break a leg to get to the nearest exit.

And it might not happen overnight. When the 'generation' was redefined in 95, I didn't stampede to the exit. It took time for the actual implications of the new teaching to sink in. I had to muddle through years of indoctrination before my atrophied brain grasped what was really happening. Once I started to really question that, then other doubts and questions quickly spread the crack in the dam. Then I left.

The same could happen here. While some are grumbling, others scratching their heads, it's a sign that something doesn't add up. They may have to work through it. Some will accept the WT and slide back into a dub stupor while others will slowly awaken and come to their senses.

My gut feel is that if they got away with 1975, they can probably get away with this as well.

Yes, in the long run they got away with 1975. But it hurt them. They lost numbers, they had to rebuild. And 1995 generation change hurt them on a smaller scale. Each major shift in doctrine causes some to sit up, take notice, say 'fuck it' and leave. But in the end the religion will be there, in one form or another.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    I've provided this information here more than once. Someone just told me: "and we are in the process of reporting you to your elders for being here anyway."

Haha, I did this to get in your head, glad it worked.

I just want you to answer my questions, you never seem willing to research or answer questions, just pontificate and take the WT postition without backing it up.

Make sure you count your time for being here; though, since the WT advises against it, would Jehovah approve of it?

• steve2
    steve2

Apathy - not apostasy - among JWs is the Watchtower's greatest enemy. Yes, there has historically been a high turnover of active JWs.

However, very, very few leave because of overt disagreement over doctrine or policy; most who leave are bored witless by the lifestyle. Indeed, many who stay are also bored witless.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Apathy - not apostasy - among JWs is the Watchtower's greatest enemy. Yes, there has historically been a high turnover of active JWs.

It is possible that eventually this apathy will affect them the same way it has the seventh day adventists - rank and file forgets about the urgency of the end times, and the whole thing just inexorably starts slowing down due to lack of interest.

This may be a much more likely outcome (for their masses) than any sudden revolt over yet another failed prophecy.

• steve2
    steve2
    It is possible that eventually this apathy will affect them the same way it has the seventh day adventists - rank and file forgets about the urgency of the end times, and the whole thing just inexorable starts slowing down due to lack of interest.
    This may be a much more likely outcome (for their masses) than any sudden revolt over yet another failed prophecy.

Yes, I see the JWs as becoming increasingly bland as time passes. Flicking through the SeventhDay Adventist literature I am struck by how homogenized and indistinguishable it is from middle-of-the-road Christian fodder. Same with the Awake! magazine - this magazine used to be dramatically prone to highlighting "conditions" in the world and how close the end was. Now, it is almost like a religious Reader's Digest.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

To some jw there is no where to go. The WTS arrangements are all they know. So they will stay loyal no matter what. It always amazes me that two people can hear the same thing and walk away with different understandings. I can see that the new generation idea is to buy time for the end not being here, but I have heard from jw coming back from the dc that the new explaination on the generation shows that the end is so very close.

One can only hope that ones can see throught the smoke screen that the WTS uses.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Most probably have forgetten the whole generation thing, the rest proabbly, deep down don't care and the very small minority will leave because they see the crap, but will be written off as apostates.

And the WT will go on and on as usual with their followers and blinders firmly on.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Good point about apathy.

Apathy, though, is something that can be capitalized upon. People who fade due to apathy are subject to returning whenever the next major earthquake or hurricane or terrorist attack hits because they have never been deprogrammed and educated about the TRUTH.

I think the apathetic ones are ripe for education.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Well the elder's response to me regarding the changing teachings of the generation doctrine should provide some insight on what Jehovah's Witnesses are thinking about the change.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/194717/2/Getting-understanding-about-the-New-Generation-Light-from-a-JW-Elder

To me, it just proves that people are placing their faith in the shifting sands of this man made religion.

His attempt to make the whole thing a peripheral doctrine undermines the Watchtower's basis for them being the FDS selected by Christ in 1914.

Edited to add:

My guess is that with time, the WTS will eventually mainstream and become almost indistinguishable from other religions.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I hope a lot of JWs see the light about the "new light".

However, surely 1975 was a much bigger debacle?

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit