Severe abdominal pain

by Heartbreaker 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

How come pain the middle of the night is always more scary than during the daytime? I was woke up from a hydrocodone sleep, with pain in my very upper abdomen and middle back. It feels like I'm just pumped full of gas and tightness and pain. I took three of those GasX dissolving tongue strips, and that did NOTHING. I can't go to the bathroom, don't feel bloated or blocked in the intestine. It's such an incredible pain, I'm basically typing here waiting for the moment I need to wake my husband and ask to be driven to the hospital.

I'm not a hospital person. I once had an eptopic pregnancy that I didn't go for treatment until it was near bursting.

I've delivered 6 children, vaginally (sorry guys).

I can handle pain. This is ridiculous.

I've already made the mistake of googling it, and well, now I'm freaked out.

I took the med mentioned above because my lower back was hurting all day, then my stomach was bothering me, felt tight and nervous like my dinner wasn't being digested. That was 4 hours ago. Wow.

Any armchair diagnosis?

• Hadit
    Hadit

Yikes! Sorry you are not feeling well. Do you have kidney problems? Could be kidney inflamation. It also sounds like it could be trapped gas but GasX should have helped. You could try gently massaging your abdomen in a clockwise direction and see if it relieves it. Also - did you have a very stressful day or lots of stress lately? Sometimes when you get stressed you can get really uptight and in pain in the upper abdomen.

If it continues to be excruciating - please go to the hospital. You don't want to be taking chances.

I hope you feel better!

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/hydrocodone-side-effects.html

you really need a proper doctor to check you out.

• Hadit
    Hadit

I just clued into the hydrocodone possibility! It really does sound like a side effect as per Nelly's link. Please get checked out!

Take good care.

• nelly136
    nelly136

you rung that doctors yet?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Gallbladder stones and pancreatitis did that to me. I finally went to the emergency room and was listed immediately in critical condition. Have you been taking any nsaids or asperin? They can cause inflammation in your stomach. It will be at the base of your breastbone and even up into your throat.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I was able to take a warm compress and lay it between my middle back and lower back and just try to relax. I fell asleep, and tossed and turned most of the night.

I've come to the conclusion that I can now add this medication as one I'm allergic to too. Demerol, Sulfa, Hydrocodone. Awesome.

I appreciate you all being concerned with me, as I WAS thisclose to heading to the ER. I still haven't ruled out the idea that this could have been a gallbladder or pancreas problem. Of course unless it flares up again in the same way, I won't know because I am currently without health insurance and can't create a new bill.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Move to Canada, Britain or Australia. We all have free health insurance.

Glad you feel better now.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Remember, too, that taking medications like asprin and ibuprophen and alieve can irritate and even chemically burn the lining to your digestive tract including your stomach. Codiene and similar meds can cause you to have trapped bubbles. You can have pain for months to a year or more with gall stones and inflammation. And it can be misdiagnosed as acid reflux and even depression.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You can have pain for months to a year or more with gall stones and inflammation. And it can be misdiagnosed as acid reflux and even depression.

This happened to me right after the birth of my last child. Intense abdominial pain that radiated into my back, it would start around 10-11pm and last all night. I tried heating pads, pain meds, epson salt, nothing helped. It was a bad combo of being a nursing mom with a newborn trying to deal with that pain. I went to my doctor and was diagnosised with having acid reflux and given medication. It didn't work. After a while I noticed that if I stopped eating before 7pm, especially anything fatty or chocolate, and drank only water I wouldn't have an episode.

About 2 years later my sister had a baby and soon after she had the same symptoms as me but she was diagnosised with gall stones and inflammation and eventually she had her gall bladder taken out.

So I really think that either I was passing a stone or my gall bladder was inflammed, possibly brought on by the birth of my child. I'll never know for sure unless I have another episode. It's been 7 years and I hope it never happens again.

I feel your pain Heartbreaker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit