Was God over reacting destroying the whole planet in Noah's flood to kill afew evil people...too bad Noah forgot the Unicorns and Dinosaurs according to the Watchtower!

by Witness 007 88 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"In a search for answers of the origin of life by an unguided natural process, science often contradicts itself and nullifies its own theories.

Again, Morris makes a blanket statement without backing it up with anything."

I made this statement, not Morris. It was in reference to this here:

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2010/02/not_on_the_origin_of_species_but_the_origin_of_lif.html

"Allowing for the fact that this may trouble the spiritual notions of some people, scientists have nevertheless set about trying to determine how the chemistry on an early Earth might have combined into complicated building blocks of life, and from there began to show Darwinian-like evolutionary behavior."

“In his lab, Szostak has had some success in trying to replicate life. His group is trying to build self-replicating protocells out of the chemical bath that scientists believe was available when Earth's first life emerged about [3.8 billion] years ago.”

“After the dinosaurs died out, nearly [65 million] years passed before people appeared on Earth.”

"There is now widespread evidence that a meteorite impact was at least the partial cause for this extinction."

If some random cataclysmic event completely exterminated the race of dinosaurs, did it devastate all life on Earth? If so, the chemistry on an early Earth necessary to combine into complicated building blocks of life no longer exists. Naturalism, while a plausible and a logically consistent worldview, ultimately runs into too many difficulties to be taken seriously as an unguided process through which life originated. The existence of a supreme being allows the most explanatory power with the fewest non-trivial assumptions.

• TD
    TD
    If a supreme being created the universe and life as we know it, he can certainly engineer a cataclysmic event and ensure the survival of life as we know it.

I agree completely.

However that raises another question: Why all the semi-natural explanations for biblical events like the flood? Why water canopies? Why vaporous suspension of water in the thermosphere? Why annular theories? Why segregated zones in the ocean? Why tangled floating mats of flora?

The point where we allow that a supernatural being intervened is the point where all natural explanation and scientific inquiry ceases. When all is said and done though, this doesn't satisfy anyone, even creationists.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

If some random cataclysmic event completely exterminated the race of dinosaurs, did it devastate all life on Earth? If so, the chemistry on an early Earth necessary to combine into complicated building blocks of life no longer exists. Naturalism, while a plausible and a logically consistent worldview, ultimately runs into too many difficulties to be taken seriously as an unguided process through which life originated. The existence of a supreme being allows the most explanatory power with the fewest non-trivial assumptions.

Especially if you never been educated in the science of genetic bio-organism mutation.

Or the earth's own geological construction as evidence to compare this elongated gradual evolution with.

They don't teach this stuff down at the KHs or the churches, its all about good spirits, bad spirits and gods there.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Why is the bible full of tales about this Hebrew desert god slaughtering people. He allegedly, cursed all women with childbirth pains and then when they still managed to procreate, he wiped out the fruit of their loins with mass genocide, again and again.

Now we are told, in that most reliable record of earth history, the bible, that he plans to launch the mother of all attacks on humans at Armageddon. I guess this will be the culmination of his erstwhile career as a mass murderer? This is one seriously dysfunctional dude.

He also has a penchant for talking to humans through animals. Is that weird or what? This talking animal fantasy is straight out of Alice in Wonderland. Like all fictional charachters, they are entertaining but not to be taken seriously.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

AIW said:

The Dating of Dinosaurs

Wasn't in my Young People Ask Book - when exactly is one old enough to date a dinosaur?

• bohm
    bohm

Alice wrote:

A meteor did impact earth 65mio years ago and it did have a global impact. It hastened the demise of many dinosauer species (though not all, for example birds survived) and i think it had very little impact on microbial life. Im sorry, i completely fail to see your point - you argue the hypothetical situation that if the meteor had destroyed all life on earth, life would not have arisen again? (why is that true OR relevant?).

A second thing i have noticed a couple of times: "The existence of a supreme being allows the most explanatory power with the fewest non-trivial assumptions." - can you elaborate on the explanatory power part - which specific nontrivial predictions regarding the world has been made based on the theory of a supreme being which has been proved true by subsequent evidence? im gonig to go all in here and make the claim that ZERO predictions has been made, and thus the theory of a supreme being has ZERO predictive power. If you feel my notion of evidence, predictive power, etc. is wrong please provide a clear definition.

ps

a personal note - you are a lot more honest interlectually than i thought initially, and i wish i had phrased certain things differently. i see now you have researched the subjects to some depth and i feel both of us think we will win a fact-based discussion.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

alice, I saw right through your quack "scientist".

no proof, just his "bible" trained answers

• cantleave
    cantleave

Alice my main problem with a worldwide flood is this. If all the world was covered in water then salt water would mix with fresh water all the water would be salty however dillute.

Fresh water molluscs and fish cannot tolerate even low levels of salt and would have died, just as they did in the Black sea. This would mean either the ark had to be fitted with aquariums or the flood was more local than the Bible account indicates. The fact that fresh water fish, sea creatures and plants survive today is either testament to speedy evolution or the fact that they were unaffected by the flood.

The society has to be right about everything and the Bible has to be literal and yet sometimes there is no science to support the literal interpretation. Believing a flood existed somewhere is indeed supported by science. Believing it was worldwide is not.

• blondie
    blondie
    If a supreme being created the universe and life as we know it, he can certainly engineer a cataclysmic event and ensure the survival of life as we know it.

In fact the bible does give an example when god supposedly does, destroy the wicked without destroying the surrounding animal and plant life and quietly so the Israelites did not see it.

(2 Kings 19:35) . . .And it came about on that night that the angel of Jehovah proceeded to go out and strike down a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the camp of the As·syr′i·ans. When people rose up early in the morning, why, there all of them were dead carcasses.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Dinos destroyed 65 million years ago, by a comet that was fallen on Earth. Scientists and geologists found the spot of the impact in the Golf of Mexico. The result of this impact was the end of the reptile Era of the Dynosaurus and the rise of the mammals. Without this impact we would have a different future, perhaps without the Evolution of the mammals we wouldn't had the Human Race..

Regarding Noah's flood, it is just a copy of an older Mythical Mesopotamian legend, the Gilgamesh Epic. Indeed we had varioius stories of Floods in human history, Greeks, Egyptians and this is a result of the Ice melting 10,500 years ago, that caused lot of floods. The story of Noah it could be true, since there was a flood in the Mesopotamian area, about 7000 years ago, when Etna volcano explode in Italy and created a tsunami, reaching Mesopotamia region. A region that is about 300 feet bellow sea level, so it can be easily flooded by waters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit