Was God over reacting destroying the whole planet in Noah's flood to kill afew evil people...too bad Noah forgot the Unicorns and Dinosaurs according to the Watchtower!

by Witness 007 88 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"alice, I saw right through your quack "scientist".

no proof, just his "bible" trained answers"

He wasn't my “quack scientist.” I didn't know who the man was until yesterday. I haven't taken a thorough look into how the global deluge in the Genesis account relates to all physical scientific laws. This is another investigation into how fish could have survived the Genesis flood.
    http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=articles&action=view&ID=351

by Kenneth B. Cumming, Ph.D.

SURVIVAL STRATEGY

Runoff to the Ocean

Heavy rainfall over the land would quickly fill the river basins with torrential flows. These in turn would empty out onto the encroaching coastline as a freshwater blanket. Odum[5] refers to situations similar to this as a "highly stratified or `salt-wedge' estuary." Such a massive freshwater outflow from the continents would join with the oceanic rainfall to form a halocline or strong density gradient, in which fish flushed out from the land aquatic systems could continue to survive in a freshwater environment. Stratification like this might even survive strong winds, if the freshwater depth was great enough to prevent internal current mixing. Thus, a situation might be envisioned where freshwater and marine fishes could survive the deluge in spite of being temporarily displaced.

Turbidity Flows

On the other hand, large turbid particles and enormous bedloads could move into the ocean as settleable particulate rain and ground-hugging slurries. Heavier particles would fall out in the slower-moving coastal waters, and the mudflows would sediment out over the ocean floor. Although there would be turbulence at the freshwater/saltwater interface, the particle insertion would probably occur without appreciable mixing. With the range of tolerance given above, many fishes might be able to survive extended exposure to high turbidity.

Serendipity at Mount St. Helens

The biotic recovery at Mount St. Helens after the May 18, 1980 eruption demonstrates rapid and widely ranging restoration. Obviously, the Flood would have been one or more orders of magnitude greater a catastrophe than that eruption. But such an event does help us to see ways of recovery.

SPIRIT LAKE
    April 4, 1980June 30, 1980
    Alkalinity (mg/l)0.01150.5
    Temperature (°C)4.022.4
    Turbidity (mg/l)0.7524.61

With regard to the three factors of interest (salinity—approximately alkalinity, in the sense of dissolved solutes—, temperature, and turbidity), significant changes were seen in the affected areas (data transformed to units used previously).[9,10]

Still, a little more than a month after the eruption, the lake most exposed to the catastrophic event, Spirit Lake, had tolerable alkalinity, ambient temperature, and low turbidity. This is not to deny that all the endemic fish were killed in the event and probably could not have survived if replanted in these waters on June 30, 1980, due to large organic oxygen demands from decaying tree debris and seeps of methane and sulfur dioxide. But within ten years, the lake appears to be able to support fish, as many other aquatic species are back and well established. If the lake were connected directly to the Toutle River, then salmonids probably would have made their reentry by this time.

Perhaps the most significant observation, though, in examining the post-eruption history, is that a variety of habitats within and adjacent to the blast zone survived the event with minimal impact on the continuity of the ecosystem. Meta Lake, within the blast zone for example, had an ice cover at the time of the searing blast, which protected the dormant ecosystem from experiencing much disruption from the heat, anoxia, and air-fall tephra. Fish and support systems picked up where they left off before the onset of the winter season.

Similar experiences were observed in Swift Reservoir, in spite of massive mud and debris flows into the lake by way of Muddy Creek (personal conversation with aquatic biologist on duty at that time). Fish were displaced into the adjacent unaffected watersheds or downstream into lower reservoirs. However, within two years, massive plankton blooms had occurred and ecosystem recovery was well underway with migrant recruits.

Such a confined catastrophe (500 square miles) enables one to project expectations from a major catastrophe, such as the Flood. First, in spite of the enormous magnitude of such events, there appear to be refuges for survival even in close proximity to the most damaging action. Second, recovery can be incredibly fast—from one month to ten years. Third, recruitment from minimally affected zones can occur with normal migratory behavior of organisms. Although some animal and plant populations or even species might be annihilated in such events, remnant individuals can reestablish new populations.

Establishing Biblical events as harmonious with the laws of science isn't really evidence for the existence of God. Most people I've come across believe that real evidence should be obtained from God himself, not just what's on printed page.

• truthseeker
  • designs
    designs

truthseeker-

No you don't but most groups claiming to be Christian have in the past two centuries stopped taking accounts like the Flood literally. And why, because they studied Jewish literature, for one, and came to realize the literary sytle being employed. Science, archeology and anthropology, played the other significant parts in helping groups to move beyond their naivete beginnings.

I always recommend that someone interested in biblical theology should study Judaism from a Hebrew school or at least from some of their fine works, learn the origins of the peoples who history is being told. It will change everything you now perceive about God, Jesus and Christianity.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

We all know how the, God of the Old Testament, was a Prick at times......... this is one of those occasions.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

designs,

You make an interesting observation, but the problem remains - which Biblical accounts do we pick and choose to believe and how do we know? Is the flood more likely to dismissed than Jesus' miracles?

• designs
    designs

Well if you can find it I would recommend the work 'The Book Of Jewish Knowledge' by Nathan Ausubel it covers Genesis to the present.

The online Jewish Encyclopedia has the longer version.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"In fact the bible does give an example when god supposedly does, destroy the wicked without destroying the surrounding animal and plant life and quietly so the Israelites did not see it.

(2 Kings 19:35) . . .And it came about on that night that the angel of Jehovah proceeded to go out and strike down a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the camp of the As·syr′i·ans. When people rose up early in the morning, why, there all of them were dead carcasses."

Is this an attempt to give the nation of Israel the appearance of a Stalinistic regime? The Assyrians had no moral right to exist.

There was a continued close relationship between Assyria and Babylon throughout their history. Assyria was an imperialistic empire. Assyria’s religion was largely inherited from Babylon. One of their warrior monarchs, Ashurnasirpal, describes his punishment of several rebellious cities in this way:

“I built a pillar over against his city gate, and I flayed all the chief men who had revolted, and I covered the pillar with their skins; some I walled up within the pillar, some I impaled upon the pillar on stakes, . . . and I cut off the limbs of the officers, of the royal officers who had rebelled. . . . Many captives from among them I burned with fire, and many I took as living captives. From some I cut off their hands and their fingers, and from others I cut off their noses, their ears, and their fingers, of many I put out the eyes. I made one pillar of the living, and another of heads, and I bound their heads to posts (tree trunks) round about the city. Their young men and maidens I burned in the fire . . . Twenty men I captured alive and I immured them in the wall of his palace. . . . The rest of them [their warriors] I consumed with thirst in the desert of the Euphrates.”—Ancient Records of Assyria and Babylonia, by D. D. Luckenbill, 1926, Vol. I, pp. 145, 147, 153, 162.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Is this an attempt to give the nation of Israel the appearance of a Stalinistic regime?

What?????? Are you talking about?????

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

She is just trying to change the subject.

I like this though

In fact the bible does give an example when god supposedly does, destroy the wicked without destroying the surrounding animal and plant life and quietly so the Israelites did not see it.

That makes God look rather silly to have to repatriate Tasmanian Devils to the other side of the planet just to get rid of his Apostates in the Middle East.

I wonder how many times the nasty little buggers bit him on the way?

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit