What books, songs, artists, movies, etc were banned in your JW home?

by serenitynow! 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I lived on my own for most of my years as a Witness, so banning items was never a problem. However, I own an extensive private library of more than two thousand volumes as well as scores of DVDs. These books and movies were prominently displayed on bookcases and shelves around my apartment. It was always amusing as well as instructive to see the faces of the Witnesses who visited as they gazed upon my collection. Awe, wonder and even fear were the emotions I saw most often. One or two—mostly elders—would venture a mild criticism about the relative scarcity of “theocratic” books and the overwhelming preponderance of “worldly” ones.

I think the books which frightened Witness visitors the most were the ones on geography, history, mathematics and science. I had many novels as well including such hackles-raising titles like The Lord of the Rings and the works of Stephen R. Donaldson and Isaac Asimov. But nobody dared criticize me to my face, preferring to whisper behind my back. But had they cared to voice their concerns, I was prepared to discuss rationally and calmly why I enjoyed reading them. On the other hand, if they didn’t want a respectful conversation, I had my rhetorical knives out and wouldn’t have hesitated to use them. I think many knew that as well.

The facial reactions to my library said all I needed to know about the anti-learning and anti-intellectual culture Jehovah’s Witnesses live in. It is a sad commentary on a religion which professes a reverence for knowledge and learning that its members abhor both.

Quendi

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

"Afternoon Delight" was the worse song, not banned in my home but my friends who parents could not believe society could sing a song about loving in the Noon! "Season's in the Sun" and "Dont Fear The Reaper" were promoting suicide, The Eagles were Satanic because there was proof from a seventh hand source "The Hotel California" was Anton Lefve's home in Nothern California (down the street from where I grew up).

• sd-7
    sd-7

The facial reactions to my library said all I needed to know about the anti-learning and anti-intellectual culture Jehovah’s Witnesses live in.It is a sad commentary on a religion which professes a reverence for knowledge and learning that its members abhor both.

Indeed.

--sd-7

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

An elder announced at a CA that Terminater 2 should not be watched. I also remember the c/o at an elders/servants meeting telling us that Bono worshipped the devil and that Madonna with a disgusting thing for 'wearing her underwear on the outside'

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

My COBE brother got back from a Elton John concert and began to rip me up because I allowed my kids to watch "Finding Nemo". He went crazy because he thought I was evil for allowing the kids to be exposed to the movie. I asked "what in the Hell are you talking about?" he said "Ellen Degeneres was the voice actor and you are paying homage to homosexuals". He said I would need to step down if I pulled another stunt like that.

Can anyone see the insane irony of my brother the COBE? This is the Watchtower's Seal Team Six member who is called up and down the Coast to handle Kingdom Hall problems, the A-Team elder is he!

• Quendi
    Quendi

The “irony” I see is your calling this man, COBE or not, a “brother.”

Quendi

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I will let someone who is good at seeing the obvious answer this puzzle. There are people who are their position even if they are family, nothing else matters but the fact that everyone will recoginize them as the COBE or Secretary of CO. Did I mention people in JW-Land are big on titles, you ask someone "hey how are your kids doing" and they get a very sad look and say "well, they are not going to meetings" and I reply "I asked how your kids are doing, not if they are obeying the Organization" and I draw them out when they say "Oh, they are doing very well health wise, can I show you a picture of my grandbaby? You are the only one who will look at the baby because my child is disfellowshiped!"

Yes, as I said "Titles matter everything in JW-Land".!

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Next person up to bat!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit