What books, songs, artists, movies, etc were banned in your JW home?

by serenitynow! 77 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hey I was one that did the banning

My son liked "Kiss" that got banned he was a young teen at the time

My eldest when he was a minor loved "Astro Boy" that got banned because he was disrespectfull to his parents

The monty python movie where john cleese kept referring to jehovah,I quickly got up and turned that off.(disrespectfull)

Well at least we can look back and laugh about it now

smiddy

• Heaven
    Heaven

The monty python movie where john cleese kept referring to jehovah,I quickly got up and turned that off.(disrespectfull)

Life Of Brian! It's a classic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Any song that talked about Jesus, just the word was enough for for the radio or tv to be turned off.

I remember as a youth back in the 70s taking an Eagles album to my best friends house who's father was an elder, in one of the songs it mentioned Jesus, well that was it off it went, I was told to get rid of the album, never did tho.

Strangely enough a few years later the elder & his misses left the jws as apostates. Good on ya Bro Wills

• d
    d

Are you afraid of the dark. Ren and stimpy. I also was not allowed to Harry Potter or watch scobby doo.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My Mum banned Donovan and my Dad banned David Bowie.

All I did was put the albums in different sleeves and listen to them when Mum and Dad were out. I probably wouldn't have bothered to buy the albums in the first place if my parents hadn't banned them.

• Heaven
    Heaven

My brother got in loads of trouble because he bought Ozzie Osbourne's "Speak of the Devil" album.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Hmm. Well, at the beginning...we were allowed to get Street Fighter II, but not Street Fighter II Turbo. Final Fight, but not Final Fight 2 and 3. No Mortal Kombat. My mom made quite a fuss with the English teacher for assigning 'The Crucible' for me to read while I was in 8th grade. (Turns out there was no actual magic in the book at all, now that I've read it. Go figure.) As I got older, I made those sorts of decisions for myself, throwing out or trading in games that had spiritism, throwing out CDs if the music was too erotic-sounding, or movies if they had a PG-13 sex scene in them. My mom was pretty mad at me for taking the family to see 'Fellowship of the Ring' when I was at college age (I knew nothing about the story at all at the time, or else I suppose I would never have considered it at the time. Now I just love Tolkien!).

Zelda used to be cool, but this past weekend, my mom finally turned against it and declared it evil, got rid of all the Zelda games she had. So naturally there's a sequel to 'A Link to the Past' coming soon and I'd just end up having a fight with the Mrs. if I get it. So of course I'll just have to continue my personal black market entertainment decisions.

Speaking of the Mrs., she's had issues with movies since we got married. 'Avatar' (ah, now there was a horrible fight, like, a month or two after I'd already watched the movie), the animated film '9', last year's 'Les Miserables', and probably others I can't think of at the moment. She stopped playing 'Rayman Raving Rabbids 2' at some point because of some spiritism. I'm just glad nobody around here's gotten to the point of turning on Mario for all those Ghost Houses he has to run through. I do expect that to be next for my mom--she's gone way off the reservation into the cult identity lately.

It's funny. My brother used to listen to a ton of rap music in his later years. I guess he got away with it when he was driving around or something.

Well...that's all I can think of at the moment.

--sd-7

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Les Miserables? What could possibly be objectionable in that?

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Les Miserables? What could possibly be objectionable in that?

I'm assuming that's sarcasm? Well, there's a section with a lot of prostitutes singing, and then a scene where it looks like a man urinates in someone's drink (which grossed me out enough that I didn't want to see any more), so...I figure that must be what she didn't much like.

I turned it off myself after that, just because Anne Hathaway wasn't in it anymore at a certain point, and she was the only reason I wanted to see it at all anyway.

--sd-7

• laverite
    laverite

I just had a flashback to the Flashdance theme song. It was banned from our home/car radio in a major way!!!! My father thought the words "Take your passion, and make it happen" were "Take your pants down, and make it happen."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit