What books, songs, artists, movies, etc were banned in your JW home?

by serenitynow! 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

We always were a liberal family when it came to entertainment and still are (renting r-movies, or watching them at the cinema, etc). But i heard once from a sister that she refused to watch American Idol because it had the word 'idol' in it, so watching it = idolatry.

• mavie
    mavie

Many of the items already mentioned in this thread were also banned in my home. What I find ironic is was they *didn't* ban.

I read 1984 by Orwell in plain sight when I was 13.

I read The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan when I was 19.

I read Dune and the Dune Series by Frank Herbert when I was 14. This one may not be subversive for the average person, but for a Dub it was eye-opening to read about the Bene Gesserit use of religion to control people.

Mav

• C6H12O6
    C6H12O6

Pokémon

Yu-gi-oh!

Hayao Miyazaki flims (i.e Spirited Away, Ponyo)

Violent sports, or any sports

Wrestling, Martial Arts, etc.

X-men, or any comic books

South Park, Family Guy or any similar shows

Shooting games

Toy guns and weapons

All horror books

All books with "unwholesome" covers and titles ("Don't judge the book by it's cover" - this applied to a lot of things as well)

All Horror and R-rated movies, when i was a senior in high school, I had to tell the teacher that I wasn't allowed to watch R-rated movies in front of the whole class

Harry Potter

Twilight

the Batman movie "The Dark Knight" ... because it had spiritism

Some borderline, questionable stuff included: The Simpsons, Dragonball Z, Final Fantasy, Fighting games, and radio music

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Editions.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Any movie with a single kissing scene between two unmarried people (immorality), rap music, rock and roll music, most comedies due to off-color humor, sitcoms, soap operas.

Oddly enough, movies with graphic violence never bothered my dad. Nor country music (filled with depression, adultery, drunkenness, loose living). And he loved musicals.

Come to think of it, my dad must have been a psychopath.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The TV show "Happy Days".

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Black Sabbath, GI Joe, and Friday the 13th were banned in my home.

• Quentin
    Quentin

My father had one hardcore rule; meeting attendence and fs. I read, watched, lisented to music of all kinds and came and went as I pleased. Sometimes he would "gripe" about it, he never set down any other rules. But, that was another time and place amongst the jw's. There where others had the same freedoms I did. Then there were others who didn't, I think there was about a fifty-fifty split back in the day.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

TV Shows: Three's Company, Fantasy Island, Love Boat, Boxing or Wrestling Shows

Movies: Risky Business, Rocky was barely tolerated

Toys: All the above that you posted, and especially NO guns. Water guns were even frowned on. Better to play with water balloons.

We didn't own a Nintendo or Atari - so video games weren't a problem.

(Funny, corporal punishment and spouse abuse were tolerated within the family.)

• wasblind
    wasblind

there's not one Jehovah's Witness that I personally know of

that hasn't enjoyed the Magic Kingdom (disney World) on a

yearly basis

HYPOCRITS !!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit