Anyone have a Kindle or a Nook?

by Simon 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• jgnat
    jgnat

Timely topic. I was wondering if it was time for me to switch over to paperless. I picked up an iPad (literally) but it was about twice as heavy as a book. The salesman tried to sell me on HOW MANY BOOKS that thing can carry, but I DON'T CARRY an encyclopedia around with me. I carry a book. It must be light. I've seen the Kindles at our local Canadian Chapters store and wondered...

I was about ready to put together my "must have"s list and research my options when I came across this thread. Thanks, Simon!

Those Nooks sound great, but I never shop at Barnes and Noble. Are they available here in Canada?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I have a Nook. Its real easy to use. I am not the most tech literate. Have had the Nook about 2 years now. I admit I didn't really use it much the first year, was afraid I would have a problem. But, I read so much my hubby forbid me from buying more books because they were overtaking our little house.

Yesterday I downloaded lots of free old WT literature onto my Nook (see my thread about it) and an old Russell book about the Jews. Barnes & Nobles offer free books on Fridays as well as has many free books you can get any day. I also put several bible translations on it and have no problem navigating it. You can shelf your books into catagories, its very easy. And the screen size is bigger than kindle so it is easier to read if you have vision problems.

If I can use the Nook, anyone can. If you are going to buy one though, go for the Color one. It wasn't out when I got mine. Peace, Lilly

• jgnat
  • Deceived
    Deceived

I got my Kindle on January 15th 2011 and I LOVE IT!!!

I already have about 100 books on it. It seems to be one of the ones that you can get almost any book on it.......I got all my books free from Torrents but there are lots of free ones on Amazon and you can convert the pdf to mobi for Kindle also. There are just so many choices when you go with Kindle cause its Amazon.

I got the new version and have a backlight which is great.

• Simon
    Simon

I actually ended up getting a Kindle (when they went down to $139) and it's great - we both use it a lot and Angharad prefers it to reading a real book now. The eInk/paper is superb to read and the device is very light and has an amazing battery life.

I've definitely found it useful and would recommend it. If you are thinking about getting an iPad or Xoom for ebooks then you should reconsider IMO - they are far too heavy, have poor battery life by comparison and can't be read outdoors.

The Kindle isn't as obviously sexy as an iPad but it is way, way more optimal for book reading.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, Simon. I might just do that. Does it have touch screen? I checked Chapters yesterday and I was wrong. They don't stock Kindle; they stock Kobo. I didn't like it on test drive.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

My wife got me a kindle for xmas. I like it alot, but I have nothing to compare it to. Easy to read, use and download books. Lots of free books on many topics. Lots more books at a few bucks, much cheaper than paperback. I think it's a good investment for any reader.

Good luck,

dc

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

We went to Barnes&Noble last night to look at the Nook. Hubby is seriously thinking about getting one.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I got a Kindle for Xmas and I absolutely love it. I've read more books (for pleasure) since Jan than I have in ages. Its light and so easy to use and I got the 3G one so's I could go and download on it...and Amazon lets you sample a book first which is a brilliant idea....battery lasts over a couple of weeks, great.....I really would hate to be without it now

Rating *****

Loz x

• dgp
    dgp

I finally made up my mind and got myself a Kindle. I love it. I think it's a better purchase than the Nook, after all, because the screen is not illuminated.

People who bought Kindles, there's a service here:

http://www.booklending.com/

Maybe we could arrange for aposta-lending .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit