Anyone have a Kindle or a Nook?

by Simon 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I still like the feel of a book in my hands, but the thought of not having to find my reading glasses makes it tempting.

I like books on a shelf, but not having to dust or move them around.....

Snakes (Rich )

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I don't know what y'all will think of the smaller screen size but there is a new tablet coming out soon from the makers of BlackBerry. It's called the PlayBook. It'll be a darn sight lighter weight than the iPad and reportedly better battery life too. And, yes, it'll have the Kindle app on launch day as well. Look for it at the end of March...

V665V665

• Scott77
    Scott77

How about the Google Nexus 7?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My sister combined my b'day and Christmas gifts and gave me a Nook, which I love. She read reviews and settled on Nook over Kindle b/c Nook is supported by any B & N store. Believe me, it is not so easy to learn to touch the screen just so. Speaking with an actual person in real time is great. The Kindle would have me in tears. So much has to be demonstrated in person.

I thought about adding my own money and upgrading to the color tablet with Wi-Fi. Reading reviews, I decided to go with the basic black and white. Reviewers said that if you want email and Web capability, it makes more sense to purchase an iPad, which is fully functional for a few hundred dollars more. It also said that color created glare. This month I purchased a MacBook Pro. The screen was a dream --until it fried my brain with glare. So I opted for a single purpose and the single purpose works well.

I plan to buy an iPad in the near future.

Of course, I used to purchase bks from Amazon and now I tend to purchase from B&N.

My public library has free ebooks that work on Kindle or Nook but not enough to satisfy demand.

If color is important or graphics, I buy a regular book.

The Nook is ideal b/c I commute.

I need to ask the B&N store a question this week. Customer service is great.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Let me warn you about the free books. They are primarily classics whose copyright has expired. I downloaded so many. The thought of a free classic library had me giddy. These books have no annotations. Nothing is explained. I am reading Milton's Paradise Lost poem. It reminds me of the Wasteland by T.S. Elliot. You need heavy annotations. Shakespeare is one of my loves. If I have footnotes so I can understand his meaning. Otherwise, it is nonsensical to me.

So I downloaded three versions of Milton for free. I ended up paying $10. for a heavily annotated version.'

On the other hand, more recent classics, such as Kafka and Camus, are easy to understand. There are also sorts of notes on the Internet for study purposes.

Part of me feels that both devices should be free. I purchase so many books now. Instant delivery.

very simple to use, once you figure out the right touch.

• mP
    mP

Im not sure if im unlucky but i have had a few kindle screens break and leak which they have replaced. Ive had two arrive broken, and broke one via a very slight tap. All my other electronic stuff seems a lot more hardy.

• Scott77
  • Scott77
    Scott77

Which one is better?

• Aware!
    Aware!

I have a Nook Simple Touch and it is awesome. Very user friendly. It doesn't render .pdfs nicely and you can't do anything else but read so distractions are limited. There are lots of free public domain books out there for you to download, and Barnes & Nobel has Free Fridays where it promotes an ebook picked by them and makes it free for a limited time. The new Nook Simple Touch has a built-in light for reading in the dark.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I just read my first ebook on a Nexus 7. Easy on the eye and nice and light to hold. Love it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit