A Seattle Police Officer Is Caught On Tape Hitting a 17-year An African American Teenager Girl

by Scott77 236 Replies latest social current

• Scott77
    Scott77

New Development:

Feds, Seattle agree to police reforms

SEATTLE (AP) – Seattle officials agreed to an independent monitor and court oversight of its police department as part of an agreement announced Friday with the Justice Department following a damning report that found officers routinely used excessive force.

City and federal negotiators were involved in tense talks over the scope of a deal for months, and Justice Department lawyers had threatened to sue the city if a deal was not reached by July 31. The agreement was announced at City Hall by Jennifer Durkan, U.S. Attorney for Seattle, and Mayor Mike McGinn. The deal also calls for a special commission to concentrate on use of force issues.

The Justice Department launched its civil rights investigation early last year after the fatal shooting of a homeless, Native American woodcarver and other incidents when force was used against minority suspects. Surveillance cameras and police-cruiser videos captured officers beating other civilians, including stomping on a prone Latino man who was mistakenly thought to be a robbery suspect, and an officer kicking a non-resisting black youth in a convenience store.

In December, a DOJ report found officers were too quick to reach for weapons, such as flashlights and batons, even when arresting people for minor offenses. In all, the report found that force was used unconstitutionally one of every five times an officer resorted to it. The department failed to adequately review the use of force and lacked policies and training related to the use of force, it said. The ACLU and other community groups called for scrutiny of the department after a Seattle officer shot and killed the woodcarver, John T. Williams, in 2010.

Video from Officer Ian Birk's patrol car showed Williams crossing the street holding a piece of wood and a small knife, and Birk exiting the vehicle to pursue him. Off-camera, Birk quickly shouted three times for Williams to drop the knife then fired five shots. The knife was found folded at the scene, but Birk later maintained Williams had threatened him. Birk resigned from the force and was not charged. A review board found the shooting unjustified.

On Tuesday an agreement was announced between federal officials and the New Orleans Police Department to make sweeping reforms. The agreement detailed strict requirements for overhauling the police department's policies and procedures for use of force, training, interrogations, searches and arrests, recruitment and supervision.

Attorney General Eric Holder described the New Orleans agreement as the most wide-ranging in the Justice Department's history. It was aimed at resolving allegations that New Orleans police officers had engaged in a pattern of discriminatory and unconstitutional activity. The allegations against the Seattle Police Department were not as extensive or broad, but federal investigators determined Seattle officers engaged in excessive force that violated federal law and the Constitution.

In March, McGinn proposed a series of police reforms that included training for all officers on use of force standards, the development of protocol to make sure encounters don't escalate, and steps to address biased policing. Talks between Seattle officials and the Justice Department had been hung up after city officials initially balked at some federal proposals for reform.

usatoday.com.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The post is a little misleading, and I still do not think the officer in the girl's case was not wrong.

The SPD is out of control, but at the article discusses, it was the shooting of the unarmed woodcarver that led to this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/feds-seattle-to-announce-police-reform-agreement-following-critical-report-about-force/2012/07/27/gJQAG1LCEX_story.html

The dashcam video is quite disturbing:

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/Video-of-fatal-Seattle-police-shooting-of-woodcarver-released-112106374.html

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

The officer in the woodcarver case warned the idiot to drop the knife 3 times. Use of deadly force was justified, if you ask me.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Use of deadly force was justified, if you ask me.

Your conclusion is at odds with even the SPD, who found the use of force "unjustified" and fired his ass.

For the benefit of the rest of the board, the Native American woodcarver was well-know to SPD. His family has carved most of the huge totem poles in the Greater Puget Sound, and he often walked down the street with a small woodcarving knife, whittling a piece of wood. Such was the case the day he was killed. He was walking away from the officer, and he was almost deaf. The officer did ask him to put down the knife, but likely he never heard him. In fact, eyewitnesses, such as the woman crossing the street who saw the whole thing, said the woodcarver never seem to notice that someone was talking to him because he never even turned around.

The officer shot him in the back.

The only reason the officer escaped a murder conviction is a unique Washington law. In order to convict a police officer of murder, one must prove "malice." Prosecutors had to prove that the police officer acted from personal feelings of hatred/anger against the person, and they were unable to do that.

If I just shot someone in the back, I would be convicted of murder because I intentionally took another persons life. I doesn't matter if I hated him/her. Even if I didn't know them and had no feelings towards them, it would be illegal.

• Scott77
    Scott77

The only reason the officer escaped a murder conviction is a unique Washington law. In order to convict a police officer of murder, one must prove "malice." Prosecutors had to prove that the police officer acted from personal feelings of hatred/anger against the person, and they were unable to do that.
    Justitia Themis

Very interesting revealation. I did not know that. I think, this is unfair and tricky as well. Probably, its similar to 'stand your ground' in which George Zimmerman, the man charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin is a part.

Scott77

• Diest
    Diest

Remind us not to ask you low-key. Thats murder, not an officer involved shooting.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

How do you know he was shot in the back? If you approach a police officer brandishing a knife, expect to collect some lead.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

From Seattle Weekly:

Cop Who Shot Native Woodcarver Can Expect to Skate

AAA Comments ( 0 ) By Rick Anderson Wednesday, Oct 13 2010

On Monday, King County Executive Dow Constantine ordered an inquest into the August 30 shooting of Seattle woodcarver John T. Williams by a Seattle police officer. Officer Ian Birk says Williams came at him with a knife and refused his commands, forcing him to fire. Even though Williams was hard of hearing, was shot in the side, and may not have realized he was bringing his carving knife to a gun fight, Birk is certain to testify he felt his life was in peril by a man with a weapon. Under the county inquest system, that has historically swayed jurors to almost always find cop shootings justified.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How was the officer supposed to know that Williams was hard of hearing? Williams CAME AT the officer WITH A WEAPON and refused to drop it after three clear warnings. I'm not trying to say that the incident wasn't tragic, but clearly, justified. Seattle is a violent city. I live here. I know. I'm sure most police officers are on edge, on high alert. It's got to be a tough job.

It's illegal to walk the street brandishing a weapon. Period.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Williams CAME AT the officer WITH A WEAPON and refused to drop it after three clear warnings.

By your responses Low-key, you demonstrate you know nothing of this case.

He was shot in the right "side" because he was walking away from the officer, and the officer approached him from behind on the right side. What the placement of the bullets documented was that Williams was not facing the officer when he was shot four times. This was confirmed by two eyewitnesses.

An officer can use deadly force only if he reasonably fears for his life. Per the testimony of the eyewitnesses to the whole shooting, the officer never should have feared for his life. Williams never turned towards him; Williams never "CAME AT the officer WITH A WEAPON." Therefore, a reasonable officer would have not have feared for his life.

That why you can hear the female pedestrian screaming at the officer that he had just murdered Williams.

I suggest you actually watch the video before you comment further. ; )

**Note: I do want to correct a statement in a prior post. The officer resigned after the police ruled the shooting "unjustified"; that was before SPD could fire him.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013926779_inquest14m.html

Witness accounts differ from cop's version of fatal shooting

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Witness-accounts-differ-from-cop-s-version-of-956086.php#ixzz21xiUnT9N

The second witness, Barbara Newman, who was driving north on Boren Avenue, told the jury she watched Birk get out of his car and pull out his gun.

Birk stepped to the sidewalk and raised his gun, Newman testified, adding that she couldn't hear anything.

Newman said she looked to where the gun was pointed and saw a disheveled Williams walking away from Birk on the sidewalk.

"He looked like he was holding his hands in front of him," Newman testified under questioning by Melinda Young, the King County senior deputy prosecutor running the hearing.

Williams stopped and looked over his right shoulder just about the time the shots were fired, Newman said.

Asked by Young if she perceived any aggressive action on Williams' part, Newman replied, "No."

At the time he was shot, Williams wasn't acknowledging, engaging, threatening or attacking Birk, Sebring [a different witness] said under questioning from Seattle attorney Tim Ford, who is representing Williams' family in the hearing.

Asked if Williams did anything that justified the shooting, Sebring replied, "Not that I can recall."

Seattle is a violent city. I live here. I know

Actually, I doubt you do, and if you do, you most certainly do not fit in. Based on the aggregate of your posts, I suspect you are in Eastern Washington. If you are in Western Washington, please let me know where. I'm sure the local police/sheriff would be interested in knowing that you keep a weapons arsenal at your home.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith
    Actually, I doubt you do, and if you do, you most certainly do not fit in. Based on the aggregate of your posts, I suspect you are in Eastern Washington. If you are in Western Washington, please let me know where. I'm sure the local police/sheriff would be interested in knowing that you keep a weapons arsenal at your home.

What a completely judgemental, ignorant and idotic load of horse shit. Okay, you got me. I live in Mountlake Terrace, a suburb about 10 miles north of Downtown Seattle. Why would you say that I don't fit in? Why Eastern Washington? Furthermore, all of my guns were purchased legally and all are registered in my name. The Sheriff likely wouldn't give two shits about my guns as I am completely within my rights and within the law.

I'd like some answers to this personal attack, if you would be so kind.

I DID watch the video, by the way. None of what actually happened was in view of the camera.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit