My Grandfather.

by The Finger 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Finger
    The Finger

My Grandfather fought in the first WW. He was in the trenches in France, he was gased and survived we always thought of him as one of the "generation" when we were kids. He lived to almost 90, died in 1979.

He was always against the "truth" he mocked, he referred to my parents, his son, as a bible basher/thumper ect. We went to live with him after my Grandmother died. Everthing was fine.

Without alot of detail, he was responsible for bringing in the "demons" to our house as we believed, over the period of the summer/autumn of 1968.

My parents discussed the situation with him and he jeered and ridiculed. Rubbish! We endured the following months whilst my parents asked him to remove what he had brought into the house. He didn't.

One morning he came into the kitchen with a parcel and informed my mother he was getting rid of the item. She offered to take the parcel (the item he had wrapped up and put it in the bin outside) He declined. He took it away from the house and deposited it in public waste bin some mile or so from the house.

The problems we had ceased. He was ok and in the next year accepted a subscription to the Watchtower and Awake. He would read the magazines and leave them on trains and buses for others to read.

What do you think? I think the JW's are mistaken in what they teach but their teachings seemed to help in this situation.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What was the item?

• not a captive
    not a captive

You are a brave soul to open this topic.

I have wondered what would happen if someone on this board asked if others had seen such things themselves. I think it is good to be slow to jump to conclusions very quickly even when we can see definite events that follow one another closely in time.

It is a good subject to bring up. Now hold on to your hat, finger!

• The Finger
    The Finger

The first items were, we think Jigsaw puzzles, followed by a sweater.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I wonder what was so objectionable about those items?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Very interesting.

Very, very interesting.

• The Finger
    The Finger

"I wonder what was so objectionable about those items?"

It was who they belonged too it would seem. The first experience we had come on a Sunday afternoon in the summer of 1968, I was in my bedroom getting ready reluctantly for the meeting. My Father was always running late as he had allotments (3) where he grew alot of fruit and vegetables. We were struggling economically. We'd lived in the house since 1966 with no problem.

The fireplace in the bedroom I shared with my older brother was boarded up, but I heard something banging, fluttering against the plywood panel. I was almost 10 and had no idea what it was. I got my older brother who listened and we them got my parents. We all heard it. My father said not to worry, it's a bird that has fallen down the chimney. He would remove the panel and free the poor thing. He had, had it before in his old house. It's not uncommon. I recently had a customer with the same problem. We covered the floor and beds as it would probably be sooty and my father got his tools and carefully removed the panel. All the while we heard the fluttering against the plywood panel. He slowly lowered it. The fluttering stopped and yes there was a bird. A long dead bird. A skeleton laying on a heap of soot. We didn't think much of it or at least my parents didn't say much about it. But they remembered we had some jigsaws from my fathers uncle who talked to the dead and done faith healing. So we got rid of the jigsaws. Worse was to come.

• nelly136
    nelly136

you all moved in with him or he moved in with you?

just checking

• The Finger
    The Finger

we moved in with him, then sold his house after a couple of years and brought another one.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

It's called the power of suggestion. As soon as the "demonized" items were thrown out, everyone started to relax and/or minimize anyremaining problems. The flapping could've been a number of things...another bird, a bat, etc. that hid or made its way out when your father removed the board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit