Why The Hell Do People Defend Israel?

by Blue Grass 123 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon
    Simon

Just because someone questions the actions of Israel, they become "pro Palestine", or even "Anti Israel ????
    it's those who give Israel a pass at every turn. No matter how inappropriate thier behavior

My thoughts exactly.

It always strikes me as odd that two countries, Israel and America, are so similar in this regard. They actively promote and label anyone who criticizes their actions as being "Anti-Israeli/American" ... no other countries seem to do this to anywhere near the same extent.

However, such smoke and mirrors to divert and dismiss criticism doesn't work here I'm afraid so BTS and all you Israel-can-do-no-wrong fanatics - like it or leave.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

And that is the entire point here. Just because someone questions the actions of Israel, they become "pro Palestine", or even "Anti Israel ????

Beks, I feel I went too far with my first sentence. It was rude and counterproductive. It's been edited/removed.

There is a difference between "questioning the actions of Israel" and what too often happens on the board, which is anti-Israel activism. Some folks do give Israel a pass for everything but others are more reasonable. Stifling ANY part of the debate diminishes the quality of discussion overall. THAT is the point; there should be room for all sides of this argument, even extreme sides.

You don't see me advocating removal of Blue Grass for starting this thread or for his being an anti-Semite. Burn The Ships likewise shouldn't be threatened for his pro-Israel views. It's a discussion board. Take away one half of the viewpoints and where is the discussion then?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

However, such smoke and mirrors to divert and dismiss criticism doesn't work here I'm afraid so BTS and all you Israel-can-do-no-wrong fanatics - like it or leave.

Got it. One side has valid views and the other can go STFU. Nice.

• Simon
    Simon
    or for his being an anti-Semite. Burn The Ships likewise shouldn't be threatened for his pro-Israel views

Why is being critical of Israel classed as being anti-Semite? That appears to be a very blatant coloring of language to sway opinion. Likewise, an opposing view is labeled using positive language rather than the equivalent 'anti-Palestinian'.

Just to remind you what you claim to be labeling someone ... so that you know for future reference:

Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is prejudice against or hostility towards Jews, often rooted in hatred of their ethnic background, culture, and/or religion. In its extreme form, it "attributes to the Jews an exceptional position among all other civilizations, defames them as an inferior group and denies their being part of the nation[s]" in which they reside. [1] A person who practices antisemitism is called an "antisemite."

• shamus100
    shamus100

MS,

You're right. Perhaps Simone shouldn't even allow political debates here and keep the board the way it was intended - as an ex-jw discussion board. It seems some people can't handle differing viewpoints.

• Simon
    Simon
    Got it. One side has valid views and the other can go STFU. Nice

Well, I think you've shown how biased your opinion is. But yeah, please feel free to STFU ...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Why is being critical of Israel classed as being anti-Semite?

It isn't. I never said it was. Blue Grass has posted enough on the issue for me to form an opinion. Besides, I may even know him in real life for all you know. Note I didn't call you or Beks or anyone else an anti-Semite.

Well, I think you've shown how biased your opinion is. But yeah, please feel free to STFU ...

I actually haven't even given an opinion on the Israel-Palestine issue in this thread. I don't like talking politics online. I DO, on the other hand, enjoy reading such discussions, especially when all sides are welcome and allowed.

I don't think you've actually read what I've been saying these last several posts because you have assumed I'm pro-Israel. Whatever. It's just a message board.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mad,

Some of us here have extremely intense political opinions. Burn is one, he has a history. I am another. Simon has had far more experience with this intense opinion than might be evident to you who have not been here very long.

Sigh. That wasn't easy.

• Simon
    Simon
    Whatever. It's just a message board.

True!

• Think About It
    Think About It
    Read this and read it well - your pro-Israel propaganda is NOT welcome here. Pack it up, take it elsewhere.

WTF?

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit