The God Delusion

by alice.in.wonderland 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion

The God Delusion is a 2006 bestselling non-fiction book by British biologist Richard Dawkins, professorial fellow of New College, Oxford, and inaugural holder of the Charles Simonyi Chair for the Public Understanding of Science at the University of Oxford.

In The God Delusion, Dawkins contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist and that belief in a personal god qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence. He is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's observation in Lila that "when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

As of January 2010, the English version of The God Delusion had sold over 2 million copies. It was ranked #2 on the Amazon.com bestsellers' list in November 2006. In early December 2006, it reached #4 in the New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Best Seller list after nine weeks on the list. It remained on the list for 51 weeks until 30 September 2007. The German version, entitled Der Gotteswahn, had sold over 260,000 copies as of January 28, 2010.
    It has attracted widespread commentary, with many books written in response.

I notice many here give a great deal of honor this man Ray Franz. Some questions: What do you think of the atheist idol, Richard Dawkins? Jehovah's Witnesses aren't mention in his book or in Bill Maher's Religulous:

Excerpt from Religulous

Another question: Why are Jehovah's Witnesses responsible for the God delusion since they didn't write the Bible? Or why is Jehovah's Witnesses version of mind-control is anymore sinister than the original inventors of Christianity?

http://www.freeminds.org/psychology/mind-control/mind-control-or-brainwashing.html

Mind Control or Brainwashing?

Understanding Mind Control Among Jehovah's Witnesses

I've heard more than one atheist on this forum and elsewhere use this label when addressing religion in general.

The Deification of the Pope

“The same kind of selfish, fearful mind that firmly believes millions of human beings deserve to go to hell for disagreeing with their doctrine. Mind control is a scary thing to witness.”

Especially since they put the doctrine of hellfire into physical practice:

Elizabeth (1998) - Part 1
  • upnorth
    upnorth

Cut and paste conversations are not

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

What do you think of the atheist idol, Richard Dawkins?

I haven't read him.

Why are Jehovah's Witnesses responsible for the God delusion since they didn't write the Bible?

Who said they were?

Or why is Jehovah's Witnesses version of mind-control is anymore sinister than the original inventors of Christianity?

The same reason that getting stabbed in the neck with a dagger is worse than a cut from shaving.

• tec
    tec

I've neither read the book, nor seen the movie. I'm not sure what you're specifically asking. You seem to have a few questions on different topics in your post.

(I could just be really tired, mind you.)

I think you're asking about God vs. Science, so here are my simple thoughts on that:

Science and faith are two different things. There's no reason for either to get in one another's face, and there's no reason for them to conflict. Personally, I think science is a wonderful and interesting way to learn about the means God used to create.

Tammy

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Jehovah's Witnesses aren't mention in his book

Actually JWs are mentioned. He makes specific mention of the Creation book as an example of just how badly written Christian books are when discussing evolution.

Your arguments in this and your last thread about other religions being so much worse then the Watchtower is pointless. Why compare JWs with Catholics from 1000 years ago in the dark ages. Compare them to religions that started during the same period with the same scientific understandings, such as Seventh Day Adventists and Christadelphians and other Pacifist religions. There is little difference. The Watchtower is just a product of the times they started. The only way it will continue for future generations is if they change what they are so as to be relevant in the future.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

What do you think of the atheist idol, Richard Dawkins? Jehovah's Witnesses aren't mention in his book or in Bill Maher's Religulous:

yes, they are mentioned in his book,

might be good to read the book yourself.

purps

• besty
    besty

hey alice - this thread could have been written for you

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/194122/1/Rules-For-JW-Apologists-Using-the-Interwebs

see how many of the rules you are following?

count em'.....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh she's got all of them covered, especially #5 & 9 bigtime.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Responses to TD and YKnot..

Would indicate this one is not a JW..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Use of the movie "Religilous" would also indicate a person who isn't a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit