The God Delusion

by alice.in.wonderland 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Every case that doesn't have two witnesses fits your description.

You ...... are defending your right to protect pedophiles.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"Every case that doesn't have two witnesses fits your description.

You ...... are defending your right to protect pedophiles."

Dude, go tell any given person you witnessed a case of abuse and see what they tell you. What would you do if an adult told you that? It would put you on the defensive in a split second. Even if there's two witnesses, only the two witnesses are material to the authorities unless an elder questions the victim and the victim confirms the abuse.

If an elder didn't witness anything and the indecent didn't happen in any property owned by the WTS, an elder's or the WTS is not necessarily legally involved just because an adult tells an elder he witnessed or knows something: Law 101

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Are you arguing that your excuse for protecting pedophiles is better than the Catholics excuse for protecting pedophiles?

• bohm
    bohm

Alice, if you want i would very much like your oppinion on the 3 questions i posted on page 1:

---

Alice, a couple of questions:

• in your oppinion, does the Creation book contain distortions of the truth, arguments that are just plain wrong and arguments that are heavily antiquated and which has since been invalidated by modern science?
    • Based on the above, is the creation book today something you would recommend a person who wants to educate himself about the science of evolution?
    • IF your answer to the first question is yes, and the second is a no, then how come that last summer, a person handed me a recent Awake where the creation book was mentioned in an article, and where it was adverticed on the back of the magazine? How come the watchtower has never gone out and made it clear to its readership that the creation book contain numerous errors and distortions? Is it not lying when you inform people who rely on your information on something which is false, and then fail to correct it so they propagate the falsehood?

I can give you a list of the falsehoods that are featured in the creation book if you do not believe that is true.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What do I think of atheist Idol Richard Dawkins?

I have read several of Richards books the most recent being "The Greatest Show on Earth"

90% of what he says is true its the 10% religious part that has the devil in it.

The problem I have is the conclusions he draws when he interpets Scientific data.

Something else I think is the mystery that Richard cant explain is what I call God.

I need to live in a world where there is a God.

Richard doesnt need to live in a world where there is a god.

I find that very interesting, how can people be like that?

I'm 57 years old and I have been pissed off at God for half of my life

But I still think there is a God.

But Richard and his followers believe there is no God.

And I respect that.

Richard would probably think I was a fool.

And I would think of Richard that he is so smart and so complicated that he overthinks the reality that

we live in.

RIchard helped me to understand and realize that regarding God, you either believe in him

or you dont.

Richard and God also helped me to realize that it might not even be up to us whether we believe

in God or not, its the way we were made, the way we were wired.

So I think Richard cant help the way he thinks and I cant help the way I think.

But to a degree we can control how we behave regarding what we think.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Something else I think is the mystery that Richard cant explain is what I call God.

The god of the gaps is indeed shrinking....

Richard and God also helped me to realize that it might not even be up to us whether we believe

in God or not, its the way we were made, the way we were wired.

Poor excuse. Just because I want a glass of delicious, tasty, peaty Scotch at 9 in the morning doesn't mean i am going to go get one.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The God Delusion = AIW Delusion

Some people do not have a strong sense of honesty and personal integrity, so trying to heighten these personal attributes is futility useless.

It is therefore imperative to Disfellowship AIW in this forum in any other forum that deals with making society a better one,

especially where it involves protecting children from harm .

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I think Richard Dawkins is a tool, but I tend to believe in evolution. The medical science I use tends to not work unless the basic biology underlying it is correct, and that's based to some extent on evolution.

Since I discovered you can be a Christian and believe in facts like evolution too, these kinds of discussions no longer interest me as I've taken the time to resolve them factually, logically and emotionally.

I suggest you do the same. You'll sleep better without all that cognitive dissonance screaming in the back of your brain.

Besides, it was rather disillusioning for me to read "The Science of God" by a Jewish physicist/rabbi and discover that the Witnesses latest creation book literally has stolen whole paragraphs from it, back many years ago when I still was trying to be a good little Witness.

Nothing in there is new...if you never read anything else, they just can let you assume they thought of all this stuff by themselves. No wonder you keep using cut and paste discussions, that's the Watchtower Society's idea of "scholarship" too.

You've learned from the "master" all right.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

You know what convinced me there was a pedophile problem? JW.net, the Witnesses own news site on the web.

They have all the news on every case ever filed against a Witness and there are so many there, I couldn't read even a small part of them in a couple of days.

Where there's smoke there is fire.

Besides, I did personally know an elder in Utah who was DF'd for incesting his own two daughters and raping his daughter's little friends who came over to spend the night on weekends.

They thought they could cure him with the Bible and DF ing him, but unless you use one as a brickbat to emasculate a pedophile, that's not going to work.

It was only after they caught him doing it again while DF'd that his family finally turned him into the legal authorities. I know that the policy now is to let the law deal with this if discovered, but they should do that even if it's suspected, which is what they often fail to do, especially if it's an elder.

Of course, in my 34 years of being a Witness, I saw elders get away with many things they were merely counseled for, or put on restriction for, that they wouldn't hesitate to DF someone else for, because they chewed the scenery and professed repentance.

Gee, I wish that worked for some of the other people I know who did that...seemed to mostly work for elders. And that is my first hand experience.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If one is honest enough with themselves with the information presented, one can easily see that there is a problem in the WT.

No, it is not in as vast a scale as the RCC, but then again, the WT is NOT in the same level as the RCC in term of numbers, not even close.

Sexual assaults and pedophile issues are issues in EVERY religious organization, the RCC happens to be the one in the soptlight right now because of their stupidy in covering things up.

As for Dawkins book, I highly recommend it to anyone, as I do his debates on youtube.

No faith should be so weak as to not be able to stand up to the ocassional challenge of science.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit