The God Delusion

by alice.in.wonderland 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Alice, you highlighted my comments, but then made a completely irrelevant response. I asked for your opinions comparing similar religions with similar roots to the Watchtower, so why repeat information condemning Catholicism. As reprehensible as I feel Catholicism has been, it is a huge monolithic organization that has made tremendous changes considering its size and history. Witnesses have displayed a similar struggle coping with pedophile issues with its elders, even though it is far smaller and easier to manage.

It is even more pointless to use Dawkins as the source against Catholicism, as I can guarantee that if you asked for Dawkins opinion on Witnesses he would strongly condemn them as dangerously deluded.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

What has the thoughts of Richard anybody got to do with whether, or not, the claim of your chosen cult to have been selected by Jesus, in 1919, to be Jehovah's spokesperson, is true?

I notice that you are very reluctant to commit yourself to this primary doctrine of your religious leaders.

At least my parents do commit themselves to believing this doctrine. They are true superdubs from wayback. They may not want to defend the doctrine, but at least they have the balls to give voice to believing it.

Do you believe it?

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

He comes across as the Aethiest version of the most ardent Super Pioneer, intolerent of any viewpoint other than his own, self righteous and arrogant.

Other than that, He`s a knowledgable chap. He strikes me as the type of person so adept in winding people up, that he would probably annoy a nun enough for her to bop him one on the nose!.

Regards

Paul UK

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I have the book. :-) and what is your point exactly?

• Heaven
    Heaven

and what is your point exactly?

cyberjesus... I think it is to shift blame instead of owning up to the real issues within the Watchtower cult.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Richard Dawkins being interviewed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRpbkpNpgw

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Perhaps the answer to God question might be given in a thorough examination of the history of human ignorance,

starting back to the primitive ancients up to the common knowledge of C. T. Russell's era.

Does human ignorance of the world we live have anything to do with mysticism or spiritualism ?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I Like Richard's stuff, he is a tad extermist and can come off as rude and arrogant, but he makes valid points from his Atheistic POV.

I recommend his books but realize that liek any author on any subject, he is bias and if one is to read Richard it is good to read the replies to His Views.

His debate with Alasiter McGrath ( the onedited one on youtube) is quite good.

• Nephilim
    Nephilim

The God Delusion is a 2006 bestselling non-fiction book by British biologist Richard Dawkins...

I just thought it was funny that you specified his book as "non-fiction". It made me think of how black and white our labels are in the library. Now don't get me wrong I read the book and liked it... I think he's a smart man although a bit evangelistic and the type of person who ridicules agnostic persons for not making a choice. The problem is that we need a category that goes away from "fiction" and "non-fiction" and resembles something more like "in this person's honest opinion"...

I'm not saying he's wrong... I'm not saying he's right...

but "that which we do not know" still exists and is not explained to a complete and comfortable degree.

ALSO.

You mentioned the original inventors of christianity.

Try and think of these people as simple minded people who see magnets and think of them as "witchcraft". Don't get me wrong simple minded man was great at mathmatics yet still clung on to the popular belief that a god HAD to exist.

If and when a person named Jesus came to exist his preaching was so powerful, controversial and unique he really changed people's lives for centuries. Was he crazy? Were they crazy?

I just find it hard to believe that christianity ORIGINALLY was brainstormed as the controlling device that it is used as now.

THIS POST IS NON-FICTION (yet my humble opinion)

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"Alice, you highlighted my comments, but then made a completely irrelevant response. I asked for your opinions comparing similar religions with similar roots to the Watchtower, so why repeat information condemning Catholicism. As reprehensible as I feel Catholicism has been, it is a huge monolithic organization that has made tremendous changes considering its size and history. Witnesses have displayed a similar struggle coping with pedophile issues with its elders, even though it is far smaller and easier to manage.

It is even more pointless to use Dawkins as the source against Catholicism, as I can guarantee that if you asked for Dawkins opinion on Witnesses he would strongly condemn them as dangerously deluded."

I've been in the organization most of my life and there's not a pedophile issue in Jehovah's Organization that can be distinguished from any other organization. For starters child abuse, physical or sexual is a societal problem. This is an in-depth psychohistorical study of childhood and society.

http://www.psychohistory.com/htm/05_history.html

The History of Child Abuse
    by Lloyd deMause

The Journal of Psychohistory 25 (3) Winter 1998

The only reason abuse would be concentrated into a specific demographic is because there's a psychological mechanism involved that is separate from the rest of society.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/mar2002/chur-m29.shtml

Why the epidemic of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church?

As deplorable as the abusive priests’ conduct is, we are not inclined in this case, as in any other, to attribute it, in the words of John Paul II, to the “mystery of evil.” The priests in question are not monsters, they are human beings, some no doubt originally motivated to join the Church by idealism. They themselves are victims, of the Catholic Church itself.

The attempt by Church officials to blame the behavior on a few individual predators, overcome by evil, is absurd. That the abuse is a long-standing and worldwide phenomenon demonstrates it is not aberrant behavior, but something ingrained in the institution and its practices. Contrary to the pope’s view, there is hardly any “mystery” whatsoever about the source of the misconduct: it emerges ineluctably from the inhuman and unnatural celibacy requirement and related medieval teachings and practices of the Church on human sexuality, associated with the doctrine of man’s Original Sin. After decades, or perhaps centuries, of concealment, the psychologically perverse consequences of these teachings and practices have been exposed for all to see.

The crisis over sexual abuse by members of the priesthood underscores the profoundly reactionary and anachronistic character of the Catholic Church as an institution. Its corrupt and hypocritical officials, living like kings, preach against sin and vice, oppose birth control and abortion, inveigh against homosexuality, enthusiastically advocate censorship and intellectual repression, universally ally themselves with the powers that be and generally make life miserable for tens of millions of people.
    This mass of social reaction and backwardness must find reflection in personal relationships both within the Church and between priests and parishioners.

There are a host of questions bound up with the abnormal psychology often found in the priesthood that are beyond the scope of this article. Eugene Kennedy, a former priest, now married, has written about the issue. In regard to previous sex abuse scandals, he writes about “revelations of the miserable, furtive, and immature personality growth of many priests, of which their preying, helplessly, on young boys, helpless, was a major symptom.”

The Catholic Clergy take a vow of secrecy upon ordination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit