Are there any decent arguments for God's existence which do not fall prey to the argument from ignorance fallacy? (i.e. God of the gaps)

by Psychotic Parrot 120 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I actually think it's funny when someone ignores the substance of someone's argument & focuses on the ad hominem attacks only.

I didn't ignore the substance of your argument, I provided an article from a philosopher who directly addresses your argument.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

PP

No it doesn't, because atheism & agnosticism are not mutually exclusive.

If you say so, but, from my side it sure seems like it.

I assume there is a God. On an intellectual level, I see the evidence as supporting, that assumption.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Actually, the really long post was directly related to each one of the issues raised in your OP.

I didn't ignore the substance of your argument, I provided an article from a philosopher who directly addresses your argument.

Highly unlikely, since my initial post was made in response to & addressed the arguments that were in that very essay you posted (as well as many others like it). Of course i highly doubt you actually read either my initial post or the rubbish which you pasted into the thread.

All you did was re-post the arguments i was addressing. And since i posted in my own words & you just pasted from another source, my point still stands, don't do it in future! It's naughty! Paste all you like but that was too much, you even included the references at the bottom!

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

All this from passwordprotected the man who asks, 'What more was there for me to say?' referring to his own thread, that he ran away from.

Can't God recruit better salesmen?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

don't do it in future! It's naughty!

It's a deal.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Sorry, the question was "Can you be an atheist and believe in logic and maths?. The unequivocal response I go was "yes". And by receiving that answer it was confirmed to me that atheists have an inconsistant and contradictory worldview. What more was there for me to say?

Actually, the response (I hesitate to use the word answer) was that you were setting up a false choice. And you never did answer whether or not you had stopped beating your wife.

Did you?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Did you?

Yeah, the last time I smacked her about I got pinched for it, and after spending a few nights in the cooler I decided it wasn't worth the grief. These days I just drink.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Deputy Dog,

It may not seem like it from your perspective, but that is simply what the words mean, there's no way around that.

And if you feel the evidence supports your position then you may as well go ahead & claim gnosticism. I'd rather remain open to the possibility that actually, the evidence doesn't particularly point either way at this point.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I rather regret making this thread now, it's distracted me from my work.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

it's distracted me from my work.

And it's distracted me from my drinking and my passive aggression towards my wife. Thanks very much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit