Are there any decent arguments for God's existence which do not fall prey to the argument from ignorance fallacy? (i.e. God of the gaps)

by Psychotic Parrot 120 Replies latest jw friends

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

wobble,

Thank you

I'm only a lay person when it comes to cosmological phsyics & thus my opinion on the origins of the universe will be no more informed than yours. I think that the idea that energy has always existed in some form is pleasing though, it certainly fits with the first law of thermodynamics. But the rest is for those who have put the time (& energy lol) into investigating these matters to figure out.

People like pisswordprotected who break threads & post insane ramblings of people like WLC bring nothing to the table. And how that idiot could possibly think that my first post was pasted from somewhere is beyond me, it was such a poorly written post that i hesitated to click Submit when i finished writing it

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

pisswordprotected,

You come here & break my thread & then accuse me of watchtower tactics? Touche dude. Oh & by the way, if faith is such a bad thing, as you seem to be implying, then why are you such a man of faith?

And no, like i've said, i'd love to debate WLC, far from being afraid of his words, i'd love to take him on personally & call him out on them. I do not however like being completely bogwashed with endless paragraphs of his writings in such a tasteless & thoughtless way.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Psycho

Deputy Dog,
    What you're doing here is admitting that God of the gaps reasoning is a fallacy & i applaud you for it. God may or may not exist, & i assume that like me, you are an agnostic atheist? Because that's what you seem to be advocating here.

Sorry, but that's not true. I consider myself a "presuppossitional" theist. I just wish I could find atheists who could admit to the same.

P.S.

To say that God absolutely does exist or that he absolutely does not exist are faith based positions, the only reasonable position is to admit that the answer is currently unknown, & that is my position.

Can I take this as an admission of my point?

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

You wish you could find an atheist who admits to being a theist?

Okay, good luck with that! I'm off to look for an African who can admit to being a European.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

PP,

Please sit down on the couch and tell us about your anger towards and Almighty and when it started. What? You are not angry you say? Then why have you spent so much time and energy trying to prove someone doesn't exist that doesn't? God exist and is very real to you Mr. PP, you just think he's a jerk.

-Cage

P.S. If you are going to debate professional writers stay away from the ad hominem attacks, makes you look sophmoric.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

What do you think of the theory that says that energy has always existed, and that it is possible that the universe expands until the force that causes the expansion becomes so weak that it then implodes and becomes the particle or whatever preceeded the Big bang, and then a big bang occurs again and the universe expands until..... and so on. ? ( I don't think I have expressed that very well, sorry)

The oscillating universe theory. As such, it's a theory with no empirical evidence to prove it.

Another question, for believers , or two really, first you cheerily say " nothing comes from nothing" then you claim that god made the universe from.... nothing ???

If God is, y'know, God, wouldn't he be able to do that? After all he doesn't exist in the natural universe and isn't constrained by the laws that exist in the universe he created. Is that as much of a leap of faith as believing that somehow living organisms developed from a biogenesis of non-living matter and that these organisms figured out they needed to acquire and utilise energy, acquire information and process that information, correct that information over time, pass on that information to its offspring, etc, and that from one single-celled organism all living things on the planet evolved of millions of years? Probably.

And this is important, if we concede, just for the fun of it, that an "outside" force or even personality brought about the Universe, how do you get from that to the God of the Bible ?

It's my opinion that Jesus Christ is the only religious figure who is claimed to be equal to God and is asserted in the Bible as being the image of - the revelation of - God. Jesus is identified in the Bible as the creator of the universe.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Parrot, keep up the ad hominem attacks and name calling. Like I said, you're doing your team proud.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

PP

You wish you could find an atheist who admits to being a theist?

I wish I could find an atheist who would admit to being a presuppossitional atheist.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Cagefighter,

If i ever have the privilege of debating professional writers i shall indeed try to tone down my anger, i am alas very young & full of hormones & they have been known boil over from time to time, but since there are no professional writers on this board (& very few particularly gifted amateurs either, oh damn there's another one!), i think i can get away with it, i think my arguments contain enough substance to make up for the ad hominem attacks.

Oh & yes, if God does exist, then He is most certainly a jerk!

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Deputy Dog,

There are plenty of atheists out there who are atheist merely by default. Some of us have actually thought about it though. I am an atheist because i have no belief in God. I am an agnostic because i am intellectually neutral on the matter of his existence, are you?

And it's not so much an admission of your point as it is an observation that your point supports mine

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit